14 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2013 12:21 PM by peterpica2

InD CS CC

peterpica2 Level 1

I don't care much for the new CC business model. If I decide to go with InD CC for one year ($20/mo.), what happens to all of my work if I decide not to renew? I'm seriously thinking about going back to Multi-Ad Creator -- a really simple page layout ad tool -- but am so used to InD's toolset that I'm a little hesitant to do so. I don't have too many years left so I want to be careful about this.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: InD CS CC
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Adobe has said they want to make it possible to access your files after you end the subscription, but there are no details yet -- I suspect they haven't figured out just how they intend to do it.

But there's nothing forcing you to move to the cloud, either. If your current version does waht you need, it will continue to work. There just will be no feature updates.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: InD CS CC
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Save your files where ever you want, but those files won't open without

InDesign CC.

Same thing happens if you stop paying your cell phone bill.

Bob

• 3. Re: InD CS CC
              Salah Fadlabi Level 5

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

Many of the Creative Cloud desktop applications provide the ability to export files to the Creative Suite 6 version of that same application. Creative Suite 6 products are available via a perpetual software license.

Adobe plans to continue to support the ability to export to Creative Suite 6 in the applications that have that capability now.

New features added to the desktop applications after Creative Suite 6 may not be supported in the exported file, or by the Creative Suite 6 application.

The following applications support the ability to export to the CS6 version of the application:

• Photoshop
              • InDesign®
              • Illustrator
              • Flash® Professional
              • Dreamweaver®

Applications not listed here may not support exporting to Creative Suite 6, and may not do so in future releases.

New features added to the above list after Creative Suite 6 may not be supported in the exported file, or by the Creative Suite 6 application.

• 4. Re: InD CS CC
                mpc999 Level 2

I'm in the same situation and don't think I'll be moving to CC. For me, as a professional, cost is irrelevant. I have every version of InDesign since version 1. But if I retire or take a year off from a CC subscription, then suddenly have to open a CC file, I don't want to have to re-rent the software to make a tweak.

There's no point in using any new features in CC if you're going to backsave to CS6 and lose them all. That's not a solution. For me, CS6 works fine and I'll stay there as long as possible, using that perfectly adequate (for me) feature set, so that I can open and work with my files wherever, whenever I want.

I'll watch for any development of Peter's statement "Adobe has said they want to make it possible to access your files after you end the subscription, but there are no details yet -- I suspect they haven't figured out just how they intend to do it." If they ever sort it out, I'll move on to CC.

• 5. Re: InD CS CC

You do realize that should the need arise you can buy a one month

subscription to one app and do whatever it is you need done.

Again, you need to realize that you will always have access to your

files. It's having a way to open them that is the issue.

And yes, there is a difference.

Bob

• 6. Re: InD CS CC
                    peter minneapolis Level 4

Bob Levine wrote:

You do realize that should the need arise you can buy a one month

subscription to one app and do whatever it is you need done.

Again, you need to realize that you will always have access to your

files. It's having a way to open them that is the issue.

And yes, there is a difference.

Bob

Doesn't cloud storage go away after a grace period expires, after quitting a subscription? If so, files stored in the cloud won't be available thereafter.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 7. Re: InD CS CC

So don't store them there. And if you do, move them out if you end the

subscription.

There are plenty of legitimate concerns, but this is NOT one of

them...not even close.

Bob

• 8. Re: InD CS CC

Saving CC files to interchange format doesn't change their features to an earlier version. Only opening the interchange files in a compatible earlier version loses any newer features.

So, yes, you'd have to re-rent software to retain CC-specific features when opening either the native file or a file saved in the interchange format. Bob's pointed out that you can rent for as short a term as a single month.

"As a professional" your clients whose work requires post-CS6 features, are the real deciders.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

mpc999 wrote:

I'm in the same situation and don't think I'll be moving to CC. For me, as a professional, cost is irrelevant. I have every version of InDesign since version 1. But if I retire or take a year off from a CC subscription, then suddenly have to open a CC file, I don't want to have to re-rent the software to make a tweak.

There's no point in using any new features in CC if you're going to backsave to CS6 and lose them all. That's not a solution. For me, CS6 works fine and I'll stay there as long as possible, using that perfectly adequate (for me) feature set, so that I can open and work with my files wherever, whenever I want.

I'll watch for any development of Peter's statement "Adobe has said they want to make it possible to access your files after you end the subscription, but there are no details yet -- I suspect they haven't figured out just how they intend to do it." If they ever sort it out, I'll move on to CC.

• 9. Re: InD CS CC

I was obviously too subtle about making the same point. Thanks for making it clearer.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

Bob Levine wrote:

So don't store them there. And if you do, move them out if you end the

subscription.

• 10. Re: InD CS CC

Subtlety is not one of my strong points.

Bob

• 11. Re: InD CS CC

I think I get this. You're marketing a T-shirt here, right?

Subtlety is not one of my strong points.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 12. Re: InD CS CC

Well, I wasn't but now that you mention it....

• 13. Re: InD CS CC
                                  Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Dunno if I'd wear the graphic tee, Bob, but get thee to CafePress and I'd buy the mug yesterday.

• 14. Re: InD CS CC
                                    peterpica2 Level 1

I stopped being subtle when I turned 65; now at 70, I can't even remember what it was like to be subtle!

Thanks all for comments & suggestions. Multi-Ad Creator is looking better & better to me now. I also have Quack through 8.5 but only use it in an emergency if nothing else will do.