9 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2013 3:00 PM by Kiwisnapper

Importing H.264/MPD-4 video into Premiere Pro 5.5.

Kiwisnapper

My Nikon DSLR records video in H.264/MPD-4 but this format doesn't appear to one of the supported formats in Premiere Pro. It seems I should first convert the H.264/MPD-4 files to a supported format before importing into Premiere Pro. As I would like to retain as much data as possible can anyone please advise if converting is necessary and if so on a good format and the compression to use?

Thanks

Peter

• 1. Re: Importing H.264/MPD-4 video into Premiere Pro 5.5.
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I don't know what an MPD-4 is, but chances are PP will be able to handle the media natively.

Copy the entire card to your hard drive.  Delete or rename nothing.

Use the Media Browser inside of PP to navigate to that media and import from there.

• 2. Re: Importing H.264/MPD-4 video into Premiere Pro 5.5.
            Biggles Lamb Level 3

Are we correct in assuming that you are not a current Premiere Pro user?

Generally I think Nikon's record video in a MOV wrapper similar to what Canon DSLR's do.

You can always download a trial verion of Premiere and see what happens, also, you may like to try Grass Valley's Edius if Premiere cannot handle your files

I have no problems with either Premiere or Edius editing my Canon 7D files and I have not had to convert.  The edited movies I export in MP4 format and also to the HD version of MPEG2, Premiere has export presets that have customizable settings you can tailor to suit and hence retain max quality

By the way Premiere is soon to go subscription only so you can only use the software when your subscription is current, the monthly cost varies to where you live, judging by your monika you are in God's country AKA NZ. if it is NZ where you live you will probably be screwed compared to the guys in the US by that I mean pay more, there are masses of posts in the video lounge on the subscription issue

• 3. Re: Importing H.264/MPD-4 video into Premiere Pro 5.5.
              Kiwisnapper Level 1

Thanks for the info on Canon files and importing help. I'm using Premiere Pro 5.5 and I can import the Nikon .MOV file however my question originates from problems I have playing Nikon .MOV files either in the source window or timeline. I get very jumpy playback and it is as if the file can't be processed quick enough. How do you get on with your Canon files? I have just upgraded my hardware which includes a intel i7-3930K 3.20 GHz processor, C drive is a SSD and the data is on two RAID10 Hard Drives. Good quality graphic card so I don't think the hardware is a problem. I note if I convert the nikon file to say a Quicktime file at a lower quality I get good playback. I have done a lot searching on the net about this issue which seems to be a common problem but so far I haven't found a solution. In the end I concluded that it could be because the Nikon files are not one of the supported PP formats and hence my question on convering to a more user frendly format.

If anyone can help with some advise I would appreciate it!!!

Thanks

Peter

P.S. I know what you mean about the subscrition issue and we are at the bottom of the food chain down here!

• 4. Re: Importing H.264/MPD-4 video into Premiere Pro 5.5.
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Try renaming the file extension from .mov to .mpg.  You can use Bridge to batch rename.  This will take the 32 bit QuickTime process out of the equation and should speed things up.

• 5. Re: Importing H.264/MPD-4 video into Premiere Pro 5.5.
                  Kiwisnapper Level 1

Hi Jim

That bit of magic worked so thanks! I changed the Nikon video file extension from .mov to .mpg which played back normally. I assume that using .mpg extension told Premiere Pro it was a MPEG-1 file????

Do you know why PP won't play back the Nikon .mov file (H.264/MPEG-4 Advanced Video Coding compression) smoothly and is instead jumpy.?

• 6. Re: Importing H.264/MPD-4 video into Premiere Pro 5.5.
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is a CS5.5 thing only. CS6 plays nikon files just fine and my pc is far less powerfull.

• 7. Re: Importing H.264/MPD-4 video into Premiere Pro 5.5.
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Do you know why PP won't play back the Nikon .mov file smoothly and is instead jumpy.?

QuickTime is still a 32 bit process, so Adobe uses a sort of 'band-aid' to make .mov files work.  Changing the extension removes that QuickTime process from the equation, allowing PP to use the native 64 bit MPEG importer instead of the QT importer.

• 8. Re: Importing H.264/MPD-4 video into Premiere Pro 5.5.
                        Kiwisnapper Level 1

Jim

Thanks for the explanation. Video formats are somewhat complex for the uninitiated so I appreciate your reply.

Cheers.

Peter

• 9. Re: Importing H.264/MPD-4 video into Premiere Pro 5.5.
                          Kiwisnapper Level 1

Hi Ann.

Looks like you have the answer. so thanks

Peter