12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2013 2:00 PM by Mr. Met

Prefs keep disappearing

Mr. Met Level 3

My ID crashed today and all my prefs and print presets went away. I don't recall that ever happening before. Is this a common occurance? Unfortunately, I had my PDF exports saved but not my print settings or prefs. A real nuisance. But I don't recall a crash ever erasing preferences.

Main reason for posting: any way to retrieve older prefs? Also, even though I created new prefs (no file open) all legacy files are displaying logos in lo res. I need everything to show hi res like before. Driving me nuts.

• 1. Re: Prefs keep disappearing
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't recall a crash ever wiping out prefs, either, but I don't think it's outside the realm of the possible, and this is why I strongly urge everyone to keep backup copies.

Your low-res problem sounds like either you didn't change the default diplay quality, or your links need to be updated.

There's no way I know of to recover old prefs unless you backed them up someplace. A system Restore on Windows might work, but I don't know since these aren't stricly speaking system files.

• 2. Re: Prefs keep disappearing
            Mr. Met Level 3

Very weird. I shut down for the night last night. I force quit all apps before shutting down to speed up shut down. Came in today. Started up and all my print presets are gone but the prefs are still there. Very odd. Should I reinstall ID or try something else first? I own a digital print shop so losing the prefs is a drag. I hadn't finished recreating all my print presets so I didn't save anything yet.

• 3. Re: Prefs keep disappearing

Force quitting is never a good idea unless you absolutley positively have no other choice (like the only way to preserve a doc that ID won't save). Print presets, if you don't save them to an external file, are stored only inside the InDesign Defaults file, so if they disappeared, the prefs were re-written.

I don't see much point in reinstalling until you figure out what is causing the problem. It's probably a conflict with something else.

• 4. Re: Prefs keep disappearing
                Mr. Met Level 3

How do I get bleeds to be UNCHECKED permanently in prefs so I don't have to uncheck it all the time? Trying to recreate my print presets.

• 5. Re: Prefs keep disappearing

Did you uncheck the box  to use Document Bleed Settings and set the filed values to 0 in your preset definition?

• 6. Re: Prefs keep disappearing
                    Mr. Met Level 3

How do you do that so every doc I create doesn't have it checked, I haven't figured out how to get the print field up without creating a doc.

• 7. Re: Prefs keep disappearing

File > Print Presets > Define...

• 8. Re: Prefs keep disappearing
                        Mr. Met Level 3

Thanks. This time I've been exporting prefs every time I add a couple more. What's very odd about this morning is that only my print prefs went away, not my ID prefs. Very odd.

One more thing, I notice that PDF export default is interactive. I want default to be print PDF.

• 9. Re: Prefs keep disappearing

Change to print and export once and it should stick.

• 10. Re: Prefs keep disappearing

Or File > Adobe PDF Presets > and pick the one you want to use and everything will be set in the dialog when it opens.

• 11. Re: Prefs keep disappearing
                              Maresca-Smith Lisa

I have joined the cloud with all the programs and I too am having continual problems with my preferences, print and user preferences disappearing because the program is crashing almost on a daily basis.  I'm getting really annoyed because I've got a lot of document print presets and to have to manually rekey them in, is a big waste of time.  I don't have any extensions running on Indesign. This isn't an isolated problem.  It is happening to a lot of other colleages I deal with.  I could really use some help....Any suggestions?

• 12. Re: Prefs keep disappearing
                                Mr. Met Level 3

All my print presets carried over but every single one of them defaulted so that tray is default, paper weight is default, all my duplexes are now off. My booklet settings gone. You want to rap me for $50/month, make my life easier, not harder. And why, pray tell, when I change the size of my page the art is no longer centered. Why should I have to waste 30 seconds of my time with liquid layout. I deleted CS6 but plan on reinstalling over the weekend. And who was the genius that decided all the apps should have dark, hard to read menu bars?