5 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2013 6:10 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Crashes Every Time I open one file but not others???

Charlotte Hampson

So today I had just finished making a video which I am supposed to be entering in a competition with deadline tomorrow but just after I saved and tried to make the viewer bigger so that I could watch the whole thing back, Premiere Elements 10 crashed.

Each time it gives me this message:

[/PerforceRoot/PRE10/premiere/elements/mac/main/MediaCore/MediaLayer/VideoRenderer/Make/Ma c/../../Src/RenderFrameRequest.cpp-310]

This is what it comes up with in the problems box after Premiere Elements 'quits unexpectedly'

Process:         Adobe Premiere Elements [8298]

Path:            /Applications/Adobe Premiere Elements.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Premiere Elements

Identifier:      com.adobe.Adobe Premiere Elements.framework

Version:         20110902.B343.280460 (10.0)

Code Type:       X86 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [95]

Date/Time:       2013-05-30 22:34:06.990 +0100

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Report Version:  6

Interval Since Last Report:          297710 sec

Crashes Since Last Report:           13

Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  708033 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   13

Anonymous UUID:                      451A2E34-BE87-4EC9-9D8A-B0147DA5DD85

Exception Type:  EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

What does this mean and how do I fix it?????

• 1. Re: Premiere Crashes Every Time I open one file but not others???
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Charlotte Hampson

Could you explain in more detail what you did and the crashing results that followed?

So today I had just finished making a video which I am supposed to be entering in a competition with deadline tomorrow but just after I saved and tried to make the viewer bigger so that I could watch the whole thing back, Premiere Elements 10 crashed.

Apparently you are working with Premiere Elements 10 Mac (32 or 64 bit?) What do your computer resources look like?

What is the project preset for this project?

What are the properties of the source media that you have on the Timeline that already exported fine but are not second time around after some changes that need a bit more definition?

What is the decription of the successful export that you did before the troubles set in when you decided to seek better? Share/Computer/???, Share/Disc, other?

What is the size of this project?

Are you saying that the program crashed when you

a. where scaling up video in the Edit Mode Monitor

b. where trying to view your Timeline playback in the Edit Mode Monitor in Full Screen

c. Other

Let us start here and then decide what next. I am strictly an Elements Windows person, but I will look around for some help in your situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Crashes Every Time I open one file but not others???
            Charlotte Hampson Level 1

Sorry I'm not very good at specific terms:

What do you mean by computer resources?

I did not put any specific presets on the project so it was just what the default settings were of premiere when I downloaded it initially. I have done this for every video I have ever made and I have never had any problems like this before.

All of the source media files are either .mp4, .mp3 or .mov

I had not exported the project at all yet - that was what I was about to do when the whole of premiere crashed. It was when I was trying to scale up the video size in the edit mode monitor.

I finished the project just before as well but hadn't saved it before I scaled up the video size and premiere crashed. When premiere reopened I only had a version of the video from the last save (about 10 minutes before). Luckily I had hardly lost anything so I just redid what I had done before, saved, and then tried to scale up the size. This is when the project would not open at all.

Any help you could give me at this point would be great.

Thanks, Charlotte

• 3. Re: Premiere Crashes Every Time I open one file but not others???
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>What do you mean by computer resources?

What is your exact computer model... how much ram... how many and what size hard drives... exact model of graphics adapter, and the device driver version for the graphics adapter

>not put any specific presets on the project so it was just what the default settings were of premiere

Importing Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1065281

-and project settings http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1112086

• 4. Re: Premiere Crashes Every Time I open one file but not others???
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Charlotte Hampson

I am going to assume that you are working in NTSC.

In order to determine the present situation we need to gather information about the project set up and its computer environment. It is good that you did not encounter problems until now, but there are certain guidelines to avoid the pitfall surprises.

1. When you open your Premiere Elements 10 Mac, you need to set a project preset so that it matches the properties of your source media (or as close as you can come to them) so that the program is directed to set up the correct space in the Edit Mode Monitor from which to edit. If you do nothing but OK your way pass the New Project dialog, you end up with the default project preset, NTSC DV Standard which represents 720 x 480 4:3. That is fine if that matches the frame size and other properties of your .mp4 and .mov video.

2. When I was asking about computer resources, I was referring to installed and available RAM and free hard drive space? Your computer may not be optimized. If you have been working with a lot of projects, you may have pile ups of preview files and conformed audio in the Adobe Folder/Premiere Elements/10 (or whatever its counterpart is in a Mac setup). There are also conformed video files that may have to be cleaned out. See Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and the .mcdb files.

Is scaling in the Edit Mode Monitor the only project action that results in the program crashing?

Since you have said that everything was fine until this one particular project, I am suspecting compromised computer resources, problem with your Timeline content, and such, rather than a patch for something that never worked before.

I am not sure where it would be in the Mac directory, but see if you can find the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and delete it. In Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, it is found:

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

Let us see if any of the above has any impact on your situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Crashes Every Time I open one file but not others???
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Charlotte

Since you say that you are at the stage where the project is no longer opening, please check out the following Adobe Tech Note for Damaged Projects

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-projects-premiere-element s.html

I noticed that this article also gives directions to the preferences files as well as other.

Hope this helps.

ATR