10 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2013 4:50 PM by molezeen

How can I confirm if text is outline?

molezeen

When converting an InDesign, CS6, file to PDF/X-1a, and forcing the text to be converted to outline text . . .

• InDesign
        • Edit > Transparency Flattener Presets > New "Convert All Text to Outlines"
          • High Resolution
          • Convert All Text to Outlines
      • PDF/X-1a
        • Advanced
        • Transparency Flattener
          • "Convert All Text to Outlines"
      • Each PDF page has a small bit of transparency over text that must be flattened

. . . In the PDF (in Acrobat Pro 11), how can I tell if the text has actually been converted to outline?

The text remains editable; it is listed as text (by name etc.), I cannot find a relevant preflight that would confirm that the text has been converted to outline . . . which is not to say it isn't there.

Walton

• 1. Re: How can I confirm if text is outline?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

try selecting it withthe touchup text tool.

Not that there's a strong probability that the text was NOT converted. This method exploited a bug that was fixed in CS5. See Possible bug: oulining text w/ flattener in CS5

• 2. Re: How can I confirm if text is outline?
            molezeen Level 1

Thank you for replying.

I used the touchup text tool, and I was able to edit the text.

I followed the procedure outlined by Dov.  I have a transparent panel (K-0.5%) over a 1pt letter (K-0.5%) on every page.

When I tried to convert an entire file of 491 pages, my computer froze.  I can easily do 6 pages at a time, but I don't want to do this for an entire book only to find that I really haven't done anything at all.

Walton

• 3. Re: How can I confirm if text is outline?
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When I tried to convert an entire file of 491 pages

Do you mind if we ask you why you want to convert an entire book of that size to outlines?

(We might try to talk you out of it.)

• 4. Re: How can I confirm if text is outline?
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Why in the world would you want to do this? Nothing good can come of it.

Bob

• 5. Re: How can I confirm if text is outline?
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Aside from Joel's comment, try exporting half at at time, then thirds, and so on until you get a chunk that works,

• 6. Re: How can I confirm if text is outline?
                    molezeen Level 1

Au contraire . . . I have a book with several hundred images, and over 3000 fonts in it.  Assuming that the printer did not lie to me, the only way to get all the fonts to print (about 1000 characters in about 50 fonts did not print first time around) was to convert them all to outlines.  After the printer did that, the book printed perfectly.  However, I need to make some edits, and thus the process begins anew. 

It took 1 month of arguing, and it apparently took them several days to fix my file (it passed every text related preflight).  I suspect that they will not be so kind this time.

Walton 

• 7. Re: How can I confirm if text is outline?
                      Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

You must have a printer with ancient, obsolete RIPs from the previous millenium.

We know of no RIP from the last 15 years or more that would exhibit this type of problem. Or perhaps your printer has no RIP problem but is simply very undereducated and/or very ignorant.

There is no good reason to convert text to outlines for printing or any other purpose.

- Dov

• 8. Re: How can I confirm if text is outline?
                        molezeen Level 1

The printer is: CreateSpace (Amazon), and I believe  they use Indigo 5500 or possibly 7500 presses. 

The initial proof had small boxes instead of glyphs for common characters (numerals and punctuation, mostly) and on one page (the last page) four or five lines of text in Times New Roman was simply four or five lines of small boxes. 

Createspace did correct the PDF and the second proof was perfect.  I asked them what was required, and they said that:

• there were TrueType, OpenType (ttf and otf), and some Postscript fonts in the book and that their RIP could not handle it.
                        • therefore by converting all the fonts to outline, they were able to print the book

I am not sure I believe them. Books are printed one page at a time. To my way of thinking, each page is processed one at a time.  What would there be on the last page that was all Times New Roman that would create confusion (rhetorical)?

CreateSpace is extremely secretive, and I know that I have been lied to about a number of prepress issues.  Perhaps this is one.  I don't know.  I'm just trying to get my work done and printed.

I just tested converting one page, rather than six at a time.  It did not convert to outline with a 1 pt character in K-0.5% and an overlay of K-0.5%.  But it did convert with a 30 pt character in K--5% and an overlay of K-05%. 

Walton

• 9. Re: How can I confirm if text is outline?
                          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

There are a few different RIPs that can be used with Indigo presses. The one normally used by HP with the Indigo uses the Harlequin RIP technology from Global Graphics. Other RIPs available from third parties use the Adobe PDF Print Engine. However, all of these RIPs should have no problem with fonts assuming that you submit a job with all fonts embedded, preferably a PDF/X-4 file.

If you want, contact me privately and we can look at the PDF file without the outlined text and see if in fact there is anything wrong with it at all.

- Dov

• 10. Re: How can I confirm if text is outline?
                            molezeen Level 1

Thank you for the offer.  I have sent you a PM.

Walton