7 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2013 3:19 PM by A.T. Romano

.prel files will not open in Elements 10

LionkillerArt

When i try to open a .prel file i get "this type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed" , i have opened/edited/saved these files many time before without issue. How do i fix this?

• 1. Re: .prel files will not open in Elements 10
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is a project file, so I **think** the message is actually trying to tell you there is a problem with a video file

What video is that project file pointing at... and have you moved anything?

• 2. Re: .prel files will not open in Elements 10
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

As John T. comments, are you Opening the PREL file, or trying to Import the PREL file? The PREL file IS the PrE Project itself, and is not a media file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: .prel files will not open in Elements 10
              A.T. Romano Level 7

KuibjukkerArt

Please explain..

Do you get the "this type of file is not supported or the required codec is not installed" when you import a file via Get Media/Files and Folders into an existing Premiere Elements 10 project? Do you get this message if you import this same file into a new project?

Or are you trying to import a project files (project.prel) into another project file (project.prel)? That cannot be done.

Project.prel files can become damaged. But I would not expect the message that you present to be generated if all you are doing is opening the project.prel file. Where and how are you opening this project.prel file?

In case necessary, the following is an Adobe Tech Note on troubleshooting damaged projects.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-projects-premiere-element s.html

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10 installed?

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: .prel files will not open in Elements 10
                LionkillerArt Level 1

Thank you. I am trying to open the projects in Elements from the "Open Project"  I also started a "New project" and tried to open them that way. I got the same message. I have three projects I have worked on soely in Elements 10 , (two are fininshed one current) they all did the same thing. I am able to import the original files for the film without a problem.  ( I tried to get everyones questions into this post.) Thank you all for your help so far

• 5. Re: .prel files will not open in Elements 10
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

LionkillerArt

Did you say that you were working on Windows or Mac? For now, assuming Windows,

1. Go to the Adobe Folder in Documents (should be there unless you changed the default).

2. Locate the project.prel file of interest in Adobe Folder/Documents Folder/Premiere Elements Folder/11.0 Folder. Inside the 11.0 Folder, among some folders and other files, are the project.prel files if you did not do any special organization. Right click the project.prel of interest and select Open With, followed by Premiere Elements 10. Does the project now open?

Do you have any versions of Premiere Elements on your computer except this Premiere Elements 10?

Have you deleted or moved any of the source media that went into your project after you saved/closed any of these projects? Where are your source media stored? If on an external hard drive, is the drive letter of that drive changing on its own?

What happens if you rename one of the problem project.prel files in the Adobe Folder and then try to open it from there?

Just some thoughts for now.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: .prel files will not open in Elements 10
                    LionkillerArt Level 1

Thank you. Yes Windows.

I tried to do what you suggested but there were no files other than "Styles".

It is the only version on my computer.

I have moved some of them into folders on Desktop. No external HD.

I renamed one of the files that is in a folder on desktop, and it worked... sort of, it opened but when i tried it with my current project it did not work. also i tried to open another project without renaming it, when elements opened and i clicked on the file the same "This type of file not supported.." popped up but when i closed the error msg the project loaded.

Note:I got my copy of Elements from a college website. I don't know if that matters or not.

• 7. Re: .prel files will not open in Elements 10
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

LionkillerArt

If your Elements is from an Adobe authorized reseller, then you should be OK. That is for you to check out and decide.

But, from what you wrote, I see avenues to pursue assuming that your Elements was purchased from an Adobe authorized reseller.

If you moved the media that was imported into a project after the project was saved closed, that can cause major problems.

At this point, I would suggest that you put aside what you have done with the projects so far. We could go looking to put the media back where it was before but best we try the following first.

Start a new project using a few files that you save as copies to the computer desktop.

Then see if you can get those files into the new project and if you are able to work in this project.

Then save/close it/and reopen it without moving any media that went into the project. Does that new project work OK?

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR