14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2013 12:23 PM by the_wine_snob

PE 11 - Is it possible to option narration off or on in dvd menu

Duke Green Level 1

I want to put a narration track in the video, but would like to have the option to not listen to it. Turning down the volume is not an option, I would like to hear the soundtrack. Thanks

• 1. Re: PE 11 - Is it possible to option narration off or on in dvd menu
          A.T. Romano Level 7

W

As I see it, No and No. But, depending on long your Timeline is....

You can have two versions of your Timeline, one with and one without the narration. The one without the narration could be used as a "bonus item" at the end of the first version on the Timeline.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE 11 - Is it possible to option narration off or on in dvd menu
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If you author the DVD in a full-featured authoring app., like Sony'd DVD Architect, this would be easy, as the DVD-specs. allow for supplemental Audio streams, that are either chosen from a Menu, or via the Audio button on the remote.

As ATR mentions, however, this is not available from within PrE. The authoring capabilities are somewhat linear and limited.

If you do wish to explore a program, like DVD Architect, then I recommend the book on that program, by the MOD here, Steve Grisetti. He covers the full capabilities of that program.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE 11 - Is it possible to option narration off or on in dvd menu
              Duke Green Level 1

Thanks, AT. That's what I was afraid of. I think if I put two videos on the disk, the quality will have to suffer. After viewing a few times, I think the one without the narration would be considered the bonus track.

Duke

• 4. Re: PE 11 - Is it possible to option narration off or on in dvd menu
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Duke

If you did not want to go to 3rd party and are considering a scheme in Premiere Elements 11, take a look the Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc and check out what the Quality Area says for Space Required and Bitrate for just one version of the Timeline. The DVD-R 4.7 GB/120 minutes is in reality 4.38 GB. How do you fare with your Space Required x 2? I would suggest using the Fit Contents To Available Space and making sure that the Bitrate does not decrease below the max 8.00 Mbps.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 5. Re: PE 11 - Is it possible to option narration off or on in dvd menu
                  Duke Green Level 1

I appreciate the response, guys. I will check the quality both ways. I consider myself a rank amateur (read, cheap) when it comes to programs. PE has a lot of capability that I probably won't use, and is priced right, with broad support and appeal. I may think about an upgrade, but...

A little off the subject, I can't find a spot to change my screen name. Frankly, I'm a little embarrassed by what shows. It was a frustrating night when I registered for the forums, when I answered that question, I really didn't expect it to take. Looked at the profile page, didn't find an option to change there.

Thanks

Duke

• 6. Re: PE 11 - Is it possible to option narration off or on in dvd menu
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Duke

Steve Grisetti or Hunt can best take care of the user ID or tell you what needs to be done to make the change. If you do not see a comment from them in your thread, then you might want to contact Steve Grisetti by private message to work out the details for changing your Adobe Forums name.

Remember stick-to-it-tiveness and patience are virtues (easier said than done), so we are hoping to see you involved in the forums and progressing with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

• 7. Re: PE 11 - Is it possible to option narration off or on in dvd menu
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

For issues with the Adobe Forum Profile, I would post to the Forum Comments Forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

There, administrators, such as John C (Adobe-Admin), can help you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE 11 - Is it possible to option narration off or on in dvd menu
                        Duke Green Level 1

Alright, screen name is changed, in adobe.com, not the forums. Easy enough.

ATR, I checked and there is ample room for a double video on the disk. That is an option.

I re-read Bill Hunt's first response, which I first assumed to be part of Vegas Pro's package. Is the one you refer to DVD Architect Studio? I hate to use Adobe's forum to discuss competition, but I could use PrE to edit and Architect to build the disk?

I don't mind being ignorant, I just don't want to stay that way.

Thanks

Duke

• 9. Re: PE 11 - Is it possible to option narration off or on in dvd menu
                          Duke Green Level 1

Back on subject here. I was able to (sort of) do what I wanted, which was have an option to listen or not to a narration track.

First, the video was short enough to enable a duplicate video on a BluRay disk (it is HD video). I put the narration on a duplicate at the end of the first video. I used a Scene Marker that placed an icon on the Main Menu, allowing a bypass of the un-narrated video. I did put a screen at the end of the first notifying of the upcoming narration, so they could return to the Main Menu or quit.

Works pretty well. Thanks for the responses.

Duke

• 10. Re: PE 11 - Is it possible to option narration off or on in dvd menu
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Duke

Thanks for the update.

With Timeline...1st movie without narration followed by 2nd movie with narration.

When you wrote

I used a Scene Marker that placed an icon on the Main Menu, allowing a bypass of the un-narrated video

did you really mean to type "I used a Main Menu Marker...." instead of "I used a Scene Marker..."? 

I can see what you described with a Main Menu Marker (accessed from Main Menu) at the start of the 2nd movie with the narration.

I guess you found out that Stop Markers do not function in the playback of the Premiere Elements Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc.

Glad that all worked for you.

Continued success.

ATR

• 11. Re: PE 11 - Is it possible to option narration off or on in dvd menu
                              Duke Green Level 1

ATR, you are right. I thought about it when I wrote it, couldn't come up with the exact item name. I was in the middle of something else I didn't want to risk glitching by opening PrE, so I winged it.

I've been looking at some other subjects and see your name (and quite a few others) a lot. Thanks to you all for the ever-present help. While the knowledge volume amazes me, the dedication for a long, long time, strikes me even more.

Thanks again

Duke

• 12. Re: PE 11 - Is it possible to option narration off or on in dvd menu
                                nealeh Level 5

Duke Green wrote:

Is the one you refer to DVD Architect Studio? I hate to use Adobe's forum to discuss competition, but I could use PrE to edit and Architect to build the disk?

That's what a lot of us on this forum do when the disk authoring exceeds PREs capabilities. DVD Architect Studio is good value for money.

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale
                                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 13. Re: PE 11 - Is it possible to option narration off or on in dvd menu
                                  Duke Green Level 1

Thanks, Neale. I've been away from the project a few days, just now getting back to the forum. I downloaded the evaluation of that program. I think it was a several day free trial. I couldn't get the project loaded into DVD Architect. Honestly, I didn't try too long, but think I would like to have those capabilities. And the price is right.

Could you give me a quick rundown on how I would get my PrE-edited video into DVD Arch? Or, point me to a forum? Thanks again.

By the way, the finished BluRay out of PrE was fantastic. I'm talking about the video quality, not my editing prowess. I am solidly in PrE's corner. Good product.

Duke

• 14. Re: PE 11 - Is it possible to option narration off or on in dvd menu
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Duke,

Sorry that I did not see this thread for a bit - been out of town.

I do not use DVD Architect, but do recommend it based on others' experiences. We are very fortunate to have Steve Grisetti as our MOD, and he has written both a book, and a Muvipix Learning Series on that program. You will find the Learning Series at Muvipix.com: http://www.muvipix.com/products.php

I forget how many episodes are in that DVD Architect series, but I would go through all of them.

Good luck,

Hunt