13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2013 8:48 PM by Jeff Schewe

Raw settings being changed when running droplet

erroa12e3

When I process Canon Raw files using a droplet Photoshop appears to be opening the files through ACR and converting them.

To process Raw files I open them from Bridge into ACR and adjust the settings for the files, then click done. I then take those files and drop them on a droplet. The resulting Psd files are beig processed by the droplet, but their settings are being changed.

For example, I open 10 files in ACR and set them to 8bit, then click done. I then open another file in ACR and set it to 16 bit. If I then run the first ten files through a droplet they are all changed to 16bit (the dropket does not include a conversion to 16bit)

I'm using a PC

• 1. Re: Raw settings being changed when running droplet
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The workflow options link at the bottom of ACR allows adjustment of the ACR-output bit-depth/color-profile/sharpening-applied-or-not, but it is not stored as part of the per-image settings metadata stored in the XMP, so whatever you set those workflow options to before you open your raws is how all of them will open until you change the workflow options in ACR.   You’re not “setting them” (any of your raws) to 8- or 16-bit when doing things to them in ACR.  The 8- or 16-bit is just applied when the output image from ACR is created, either into PS or using the Save button in ACR, itself.

From your description it sounds like you’re setting 16-bit as the last thing in ACR before you run your droplet so ACR is rendering all the raw files as 16-bit.   This is the proper behavior.

• 2. Re: Raw settings being changed when running droplet
            erroa12e3 Level 1

Thanks for that explanation, but it's also changing things like clarity and exposure.

• 3. Re: Raw settings being changed when running droplet
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Clarity and Exposure are per-image metadata that should be distinct per image.

Admittedly I have only rarely used droplets and only as an output export action to apply to files coming out of LR some years back so am not sure if what is happening is to be expected or not, but here are some questions to help clarify what is happening for others to verify if that’s how things should be working or not:

Are you looking at a raw file in ACR before and after being processed by your droplet and you see different settings or are you just looking at the PSD and seeing it looks different than the raw file in ACR?

Do settings change if there is only one raw file dragged onto the droplet at a time and are the settings the same for every image no matter which images or how many are dragged at a time (the settings are saved as part of the droplet)?

Are the settings the same for every image in the group that have been dragged onto the droplet but change from one group to the next (the droplet is picking up the settings of one of the images in the group and applying that to all of them)?

Are the settings different for different raws in the group but seem to be correlated with the previous or next image in the set dragged onto the droplet? (the settings are picked up from the wrong image in the group)?

If you make a droplet with that does nothing other than open the raw file, not even save it to a PSD, do the raw file settings change?  In other words does it matter what you’re doing in your droplet for the settings to change?

• 4. Re: Raw settings being changed when running droplet
                Jeff Schewe Level 5

erroa12e3 wrote:

For example, I open 10 files in ACR and set them to 8bit, then click done. I then open another file in ACR and set it to 16 bit. If I then run the first ten files through a droplet they are all changed to 16bit (the dropket does not include a conversion to 16bit)

Exactly how did you record the open step of your action? This is critical...when you record an open step in Camera Raw, the only thing you want to be changing is the Workflow Options. As long as you don't change anything else, the only thing recorded in the open step would be the change of the options and no other settings.

• 5. Re: Raw settings being changed when running droplet
                  erroa12e3 Level 1

Ok, thanks. I'll have another look at that.

• 6. Re: Raw settings being changed when running droplet
                    erroa12e3 Level 1

I'm comparing Raw files that have been processed using a droplet agains Raw files that have been processed using the PS action that was used to create the droplet.

The settings don't change if I drag one file at a time, infact when I process a folder using the droplet the first file processes correctly but the following ones do not.

The Raw conversion settings do vary between the files in the same folder, but only the exposure.

No.

The original Raw files remain unchanged, it is only the resulting Psd files that are wrong.

• 7. Re: Raw settings being changed when running droplet
                      Jeff Schewe Level 5

None of which explains exactly how you recorded the Open step of the action...that is the part that is causing your provlems.

• 8. Re: Raw settings being changed when running droplet
                        erroa12e3 Level 1

The action doesn't have an open step and the droplet created from it uses the settings within PS to open the files.

• 9. Re: Raw settings being changed when running droplet
                          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Then that's your problem there...the Workfow Options in ACR are sticky–which means that when you change them, they stick until you change them again. Since your action doesn't have a recoded open step, you can't set the Workflow Options in your action. You will always open the raw files with whatever options you had set last.

• 10. Re: Raw settings being changed when running droplet
                            erroa12e3 Level 1

Does that mean that if the droplet has a recorded open step it will apply the settings it was recorded with? If so, would that mean that raw files that have had individual settings applied prior to running the droplet would all be converted to the settings in the open step?

• 11. Re: Raw settings being changed when running droplet
                              Jeff Schewe Level 5

No, it means that the Workflow Options are recorded (the size and color space and bit depth) but the per image settings are not stored (unless you want them to be). You really need to record an open step if you want to have control over the Workflow Options...

• 12. Re: Raw settings being changed when running droplet
                                erroa12e3 Level 1

Ok, thanks. How do I record the open step in an action that can be used on any folder of images? As I understand it at the moment, when I record an open step the action records the location from which the file was opened, which would mean that I would have to create a specific folder and move the files I want to run through the action to that folder and then move them back once the droplet had completed.

• 13. Re: Raw settings being changed when running droplet
                                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

Batch 101...in the Batch (same as droplet) select Override  Action "Open" Commands–which ignores the file name/directory path and simply opens the image with the recorded open command with the Workflow Options set as recorded in the step.