27 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2014 6:57 AM by Fuzzy Barsik

Offline editing in Premiere CS6

Han_Solo77 Level 1

Hi!

I'm thinking about to edit a feature film in Premiere putting together all the episodes of my webserie. It's an action webserie and has a lot of cuts. It is in H.264 from 7d so is very difficult to play in real time.

Are there any way to make proxies of the sequence for a more fluid edit and reconnect later with the original files (as you can do in Avid or FCPX)?

• 1. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
          DENIS- DGP Level 1

your computer might be not enough powerful to work with HD files. I have an Intel i7 1.83mhz + Graphic Nvidia Cuda card, and with 5D MKII files, everthing works realtime with many effect.

Anyway, what you can do is to convert to low-res all of your HD files in a folder called LOWRES.

Then, you can import to a new project all of the low-res files and do your editing with those lighter files and i might be realtime. Then, when the job is done, just go to your media window (on left) and replace all low-res files to Original HD files. Just right click to a file then choose "replace with other file" ... one by one.
          Then start the rendering...

Hope it will help.

Denis

• 2. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
            Han_Solo77 Level 1

Hi Denis, thanks for your help.

Yes, right now I have one of the last MacBook Pro (no retina) but only with 4Gb of RAM. But I originally edit the series in my Macpro (with 24Gb and quadro 4000) and the action sequences still had problem to play well in H.264.

My problem is that I have every episode already edit, although I'll probably change it when I mix all together.

So, I think in this solution following your advice:

•Make a Project manager of the sequences to one folder.

•Batch transcode the resulting clips to a proxy version in another folder, with different name but maintaining the original name of the clips

•Relink the sequences to the new ones

In this way I can easily switch from offline to online version, right?

• 3. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
              joe bloe premiere Level 5
              ...then choose "replace with other file" ... one by one.

You don't have to do this "one by one".

Create the lower resolution proxy files using the same names

as the original, high resolution versions.

At that point, it is a simple matter of renaming one folder or the other

before launching Premiere and opening the Project.

On opening, Premiere will ask the location of the missing media files

(since you have renamed the folder).

Point to the preferred folder (low-res or high-res versions),

select the first file requested in the 'missing media' dialog,

and all of the other files will automatically be relinked in one step.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                DENIS- DGP Level 1

Yes indeed!

But you will have to use the fonction "replace with" to files one by one. Then it will relink the low res files to HD files into your timeline.

Denis

Sent from my iPad.

Le 31 mai 2013 à 16:20, JF_Calero <forums_noreply@adobe.com> a écrit :

Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6

created by JF_Calero in Premiere Pro - View the full discussion

Hi Denis, thanks for your help.

Yes, right now I have one of the last MacBook Pro (no retina) but only with 4Gb of RAM. But I originally edit the series in my Macpro (with 24Gb and quadro 4000) and the action sequences still had problem to play well in H.264.

My problem is that I have every episode already edit, although I'll probably change it when I mix all together.

So, I think in this solution following your advice:

•Make a Project manager of the sequences to one folder.

•Batch transcode the resulting clips to a proxy version in another folder, with different name but maintaining the original name of the clips

•Relink the sequences to the new ones

In this way I can easily switch from offline to online version, right?

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5368172#5368172

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5368172#5368172

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5368172#5368172. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Pro by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 5. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                  DENIS- DGP Level 1

Yes that will works too. easyer especially if you have undreds files to re-link

Denis

Sent from my iPad.

Le 31 mai 2013 à 16:26, joe bloe premiere <forums_noreply@adobe.com> a écrit :

Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6

created by joe bloe premiere in Premiere Pro - View the full discussion

...then choose "replace with other file" ... one by one.

You don't have to do this "one by one".

Create the lower resolution proxy files using the same names

as the original, high resolution versions.

At that point, it is a simple matter of renaming one folder or the other

before launching Premiere and opening the Project.

On opening, Premiere will ask the location of the missing media files

(since you have renamed the folder).

Point to the preferred folder (low-res or high-res versions),

select the first file requested in the 'missing media' dialog,

and all of the other files will automatically be relinked in one step.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5368188#5368188

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5368188#5368188

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5368188#5368188. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Pro by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                    joe bloe premiere Level 5

you will have to use the fonction "replace with" to files one by one.

Not if you use the procedure described in post #3.

• 7. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                      Han_Solo77 Level 1

Ok!!

Thanks Dennis and Joe. I will try tonight and I'll tell you if this workflow works.

• 8. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                        Han_Solo77 Level 1

hi guys,

Just to keep you updated: Well, it didn't work.

To compress all the media I used MPEG StreamClip, because Adobe Media Encoder doesn't let you to transcode to the "same as source" resolution when you want to transcode to quicktime (I need that because I have material in 720 and 1080)

MPEG Streamclip has that option so I transcode the more than 2000 video clips to ProRes Proxy. After a long night I have all my clips with the same name and resolution in ProRes Proxy. Then is time to relink.

Open the project and the new Link & Locate windows open (BTW, this new function is wonderful, even better than the FCP7 one) It relink easilly with almost all the clips, but there is a problem: some clips has a different number of audio tracks and it doesn't let you relink in any way with the new clip... there is no option in MPEG Streamclip or AME to mantain the same number of tracks or mantain mono as mono and stereo as stereo.

Ok, there is a solution: you can let those clips offline for now and "replace footage" later one by one... but there are more than 200 clips with that problem. So that will be a lot time now and when I make the offline to online process later...

So for now I can't find a way to make an offline editing in Premiere.

Any other idea?

• 9. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                          Adobe Media Encoder doesn't let you to transcode to the "same as source" resolution when you want to transcode to quicktime

It does.

...It relink easilly with almost all the clips, but there is a problem: some clips has a different number of audio tracks and it doesn't let you relink in any way with the new clip...

If you name the folder with source footages e.g. FOOTAGES and the folder with proxies e.g. FOOTAGES.Proxies and then rename them into FOOTAGES.Sources and FOOTAGES accordingly, you won't even need to relink your clips on relaunching the project irrespective of whether your source footages' audio is Dolby 5.1, while proxies' audio is stereo etc.

• 11. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                            Han_Solo77 Level 1

Hi, Fuzzy and Ann. Thanks for your responses.

Fuzzy Barsik:

Adobe Media Encoder doesn't let you to transcode to the "same as source" resolution when you want to transcode to quicktime

It does.

I don't know, but as soon I choose "Quicktime" in the "Format" field in "Basic Video Settings" it show a resolution. If you don't change it, AME transcode the shot to that  resolution independently of the original resolution of the source. Is there any other way?

...It relink easilly with almost all the clips, but there is a problem: some clips has a different number of audio tracks and it doesn't let you relink in any way with the new clip...

If you name the folder with source footages e.g. FOOTAGES and the folder with proxies e.g. FOOTAGES.Proxies and then rename them into FOOTAGES.Sources and FOOTAGESaccordingly, you won't even need to relink your clips on relaunching the project irrespective of whether your source footages' audio is Dolby 5.1, while proxies' audio is stereo etc.

Well, I didn't try this option because I would like to use 2 differents hard drives for online and offline, but I made some test and it's true, Premiere doesn't say anything if you just swap the files in the finder instead of relink them. Thanks. I will think it I can put all my files (online and offline) in a single hard drive.

Ann Bens:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91c f0b1038518aef7-7f74a.html

Thanks, I found this "help document" before but this method is not the right this time. The process of "Replace low-resolution clips with high-resolution clips for online editing" one by one it would be too painful because I have around 3500 video files in the sequence. I'm looking for something more automatic.

• 12. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                              If you don't change it, AME transcode the shot to that  resolution independently of the original resolution of the source. Is there any other way?

Not sure I follow you... Who or what does prohibit you from setting required resolution or even creating your own preset for AME?

I would like to use 2 differents hard drives for online and offline

And what is the purpose? I understand when drives are separated for different tasks like reading and writing, but other than that...

P.S. OK, since .prproj file is just an XML document, you can do what you want with some editing your .prproj file in a text or a script editor. Open it up in e.g. Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit, press Ctrl/Cmd+F and perform FIND AND REPLACE command (enter e.g. Find: D:\FOOTAGES.Sources and Replace With: E:\FOOTAGES.Proxies)

• 13. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                                Han_Solo77 Level 1

Ok, I am sorry. What I want is to transcode all the 3500+ video files from H264 to something less processor intensive (as prores proxy) but keep the same resolution of the original. When you choose quicktime in AME, it ask you for a resolution (there is not a "same as source" as in mpeg2 or H264) So I would have to change all at the same resolution or change the resolution setting one file at a time. In MPEG Streamclip and Compressor I have that option.

In my case, the idea or use 2 hard drive is for various reasons:

*Use an smaller drive to edit in offline, instead of my noisy, hot and heavy RAID

*An extra precaution (you don't touch the onlines)

*Edit in my laptop anywhere

So I would think if it is an option

• 14. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                                  So I would have to change all at the same resolution or change the resolution setting one file at a time.

Sorry, but you really need to learn AME a bit better. You can easily assign the same export settings to multiple files and don't have to pick one file at a time so as to do that.

So I would think if it is an option

See the 'P.S.' notes in my previous comment.

• 15. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                                    Han_Solo77 Level 1

Yes, I know that I can assing the same export settings to all, but into that settings you have to specify an expecific resolution (e.g. 1080) so all the videos will be transcoding to this resolution.  And I have videos in 1080 and some in 720. I think you can't apply a setting for an specific codec in quicktime without specify a resolution, right?

PS Ah!! Great tip. I have never try to open a Premiere as text (I did it with Maya or Nuke files only) I didn't know it could be so simple.

I will try it.

• 16. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                                      Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

As I said, you can easily apply any export settings you want to multiple files at once. No needs to pick one file at a time so as to do that.

As I also already mentioned, you can easily create a preset or two (or three) with particular export settings, including codec, resolution, frame rate, field order, aspect ratio, bitrate etc. etc. and reuse those presets as many times as you want, applying them onto either a single file or a group of files of your choice at once.

• 17. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                                        Han_Solo77 Level 1

Yes, I know too that I can create varios presets and apply it to differents groups, but, again the problem is the huge amount of files: 3500+, and they are raw files, from camera, so there is no information of resolution in the name.

It is a very time consuming process to look for the resolution of the files and  group them when in MPEG Streamclip you can create a preset with the resolution set in "same as source", apply it to all the clips and press "Go"

I know that in the new AME CC they add that option ("same as source") to H.264, so I guess that sooner or later we are going to have it in Quicktime files too. But in the meantime, MPEG Streamclip is free.

• 18. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                                          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Finally got you. However, sorting footages by resolution shouldn't be that difficult. On Windows you can sort files by Frame Height or Frame Width right in the AME 'Open' dialog box. I guess, there is something similar on a Mac. It does involve some extra steps compared to transcoding with 'same as source' option in a bulk though.

• 19. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                                            Han_Solo77 Level 1

About the ExtendScript option, I've downloaded to try, but I think it doesn't work with Premiere Projects. It look likes they are more complex than XML.

I can't find what language it uses:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/scripting.html

But I will continue trying.

• 20. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                                              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Not sure what you're looking for at the Scripting Center webpage. Scripting is not officially supported in PrPro, but that's completely different animal, and some users were even able to do that via trial and errors. However, if you open a .prproj file in Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit, the dialog box pops up, asking for a language. Choose XML at the bottom of the list, and you'll get something like this:

PrPro. Opening Project File in ExtendScript Toolkit.jpg

As I said, you can use any script or even text editor, not necessarily Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit. Here is the result of opening a .prproj file in WordPad:

PrPro. Opening Project File in WordPad.jpg

• 21. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                                                Han_Solo77 Level 1

I found this page looking for what script language use Premiere. I can tell you that the result I have when I open the project in the way you say (with XLM language) has not scripting sense. I couldn't find any reference to volumes in that mess. Is maybe the code in mac more complex?

I can't send you a screen capture this afternoon if you don't believe me.

Thanks for all your help

• 22. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                                                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

.prproj files are not OS dependent.

And as I said, scripting in an Adobe application and the project file structure for that application are completely different animals.

• 23. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                                                    Han_Solo77 Level 1

This is what I get when I try to open the project in Adobe ExtendScript:

Screen Shot 2013-06-24 at 21.45.21.png

And this in TextEdit:

Screen Shot 2013-06-24 at 21.45.57.png

Any idea of what is happening and why I can't get a result similar to yours?

• 24. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                                                      Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Try this one - this is PrPro CS5.5 project file sample. Upload your sample so that I or any other worthies can have a look as well (I wonder if they made some dramatic change in CC ?.. ). Dropbox is a nice tool for file sharing.

• 25. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                                                        Han_Solo77 Level 1

Yes, you are right: I can open the CS6 projects without problems but not the new CC ones.

• 26. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                                                          hoycer Level 1

Has anyone found a back-end workaround for CS6 on Creative Cloud?

• 27. Re: Offline editing in Premiere CS6
                                                            Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Add .gz file extension to CC .prproj file and extract the content with any archiver like WinRAR or 7z - you'll get 'regular' .prproj file, which is a plain XML document. Replace Version="26" with Version="25".

If you have difficulties with opening modified .prproj file directly, you can try good old trick with importing a project into a project (i.e. create CS6 project first and then import modified .prproj into it). If that fails, you probably need to convert PrPro CC project to CS5/5.5 project first. See this thread for some more details.

If you need CS5 or CS5.5 to complete the job, here is the direct download link. Scroll down the page to find the desired version.