2 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2013 7:50 AM by Steven L. Gotz

double precision performance of GPU important for Premiere?

StefanKlein Level 1

How important is GPU double precision performance (FP64) for Premiere Pro now and maybe in the future?

There is a remarkable difference between a Geforce Titan and the new GTX780. Should I care?

• 1. Re: double precision performance of GPU important for Premiere?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Dunno and probably not. It looks to me, but I may be wrong, that 23 bits for the fraction in contrast to 52 bits in double precision does not impact the quality of video encodes very much, since the calculations are of limited complexity and there are no large scale differences to conquer. Additionally, the algorithms used are pretty straightforward and do not approach anything that resembles rocket-science. Stochastic approximations and recursive algorithms are not really required and the nature of the calculations are always constrained.

Both the GTX Titan and the GTX 780 are only sensible on systems that have:

• Either an overclocked i7-39xx CPU or dual Xeon E5-2687W CPU's, and
          • 64+ GB of memory, and
          • Disk setup that supports more than 400+ MB/s sustained transfer rates for media cache, media and projects each.

If one of these conditions is not met, then a more affordable video card makes much more sense 'bang-for-the-buck' wise. All the power of these video cards remain unused because they are held back by the slower components in the system. That simply means these cards are only worth considering on real 'Warrior' or 'Monster' machines, that often cost $ 10+ K.