7 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2013 1:08 PM by philip242

text tool hangs photoshop cs6

philip242 Level 1

When I use the text tool and type of the first character, photoshop hangs for a long time. When it comes back it will just hang again, the text tool is completely unusable for me. Very very frustating, I can't work at all.

I have CS6 on creative cloud on Win7 with Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.0 (13.0 20120315.r.428 2012/03/15:21:00:00) x64

I have been through all the steps here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop-cs5.html

nothing corrupt was found. I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled photoshop. I've start with ctrl+alt+shift to delete my preferences. I have updated in nvidia driver.

Nothing seems to work. Any ideas? I'm completely stuck. Luckily have CS5 on another machine but this machine with CS6 is a boat anchor at this point.

CS6 and text worked for fine for me for a while. Since it's been hanging it has fixed itself on occaison for a while, but it always starts hanging again and I can't get it to stop now.

• 1. Re: text tool hangs photoshop cs6
          Curt Y Level 7

If you make all 3rd party fonts unavailable does the probem go away?

• 2. Re: text tool hangs photoshop cs6
            philip242 Level 1

Thanks for the idea. I'm not sure how to do that. Like remove from the system or from photoshop somehow? I have 351 fonts installed, I don't know where they call came from. The kb above has a long list of "required" fonts for cs6 and presumable there are some Windows fonts that are needed.  Somehow I'd have to figure out the list of non-required and non-system fonts and then remove them one at a time?

• 3. Re: text tool hangs photoshop cs6
              Curt Y Level 7

We are not talking about Adobe fonts, the ones you need to be concerned about are ones you have purchased or downloaded, or a font manager.  Do you have any of these?

• 4. Re: text tool hangs photoshop cs6
                conroy Level 5

You also have the very buggy version 13.0 of Ps CS6 which should be updated to 13.1.2. Try 'Help > Updates...' in Ps.

• 5. Re: text tool hangs photoshop cs6
                  philip242 Level 1

Thanks again. I don't have a font manager and have never bought a font. These 350 fonts must have come from somewhere. I deleted the 2 fonts I know I downloaded recently, did not help. Maybe I downloaded some in the past but I have no easy way to tell.  In general I don't know a good way to pare down the font list.  Of course the troubleshooting thing checked all the fonts with a script, actually used them in photoshop without incident. As for version I had the updated one before I re-installed from scratch, but I will update again to make sure. In general I'm horrified at this bug. It's the worst experience I've had with paid software in 30 years of using computers.

• 6. Re: text tool hangs photoshop cs6
                    Curt Y Level 7

You can look at this. http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-font-problems-windows.html

Take half the fonts and make unavailable.  If eveything OK try the other half.  If problem appears cut that in half and so forth.

• 7. Re: text tool hangs photoshop cs6
                      philip242 Level 1

Wow thanks! It wasn't clear from that kb which were the "fonts installed by windows" (the kb references "Releated Records" which I didn't find).  But what I did is sort by Type/Foundry and removed the 196 fonts I had that had no type/foundry.  These seem like the sketchier fonts with weirder names. Although it includes a bunch of adobe fonts strangely.  But it worked: photoshop text tool goes 1,000,000 times faster now.  I'll see if it lasts. And I can try adding back some of the fonts half at a time to find the problem one(s) later, I don' t think I'll even miss the fonts, where do they all come from even?

But this seems really promising. Too bad photoshop itself or windows itself couldn't pop up a dialog "The font XYZ is corrupt, it will be automatically disabled". In a perfect world!

Completely aside I think the fonts need tags like "handwritten" "good for signs" "serif" "sans serif" "fancy" "simple" anything, overlapping tags, and then you can check which you want to pick fonts. Scrolling linearly through 350 fonts to pick one is crazy.