3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2013 4:15 AM by Trevor.Dennis

Making a clean selection

DijahP

Hello,

I need to make a selection of this tree:

BWTree.jpg

so that it looks like this:

Screen Shot 2013-05-31 at 9.33.37 AM.png

and its proven to be very difficult. My tree looks pretty terrible, and it's definitely not as clean as the tree in the poster. I'm using the quick selection tool. Any advice?

• 1. Re: Making a clean selection
          charles badland Level 4

Hello,

I would make an Alpha Channel of the tree pic, then using a combination of Levels and Dodge and Burn Tools (Dodge-Highlights and Burn-Shadows), make a high contrast version keeping detail in the branches. Then invert the alpha channel and click the Load as Selection button.

Hopefully your original has fewer JPG artifacts than your posted image.

CB

tree_willie.jpg

• 2. Re: Making a clean selection
            Doug.S Level 3

Or try "refine edge" and see some tutorials on selections; especially for hair which is even worse than trees.

• 3. Re: Making a clean selection
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

It certainly looks an ideal candidate for an alpha mask, but out of interest, what was the original for this image?  I ask as there is a lot of noise in the sky, and being grey scale, it doesn't respond well to noise reduction.  You are still going to get a cracking mask out of it, and I don't suppose total accuracy is crucial, but in a situation where accuracy was important, I'd start with a full bit depth image and make it as clean as possible before making the mask.