8 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2013 9:17 AM by johndaigle

Browse sequence buttons not appearing in RoboHelp 9 .chm file

MM Acton Level 1

When I first created this project two years ago, I didn't think I'd be using browse sequences. Well, of course, things change, and now I think it would be a good idea.

I followed the instructions for creating a browse sequence automatically (Tools > Browse Sequence Editor, then Auto-create from TOC). That seemed to work.

I compile the .chm file. No >> buttons.

How do I enable them? I looked at the master page layout and didn't see anything there. I looked at the Project Settings (File > Project Settings) and couldn't see anything there.

I've searched the RH 9 help and can't find any reference. My guess is that they must appear automatically and I must have, in my infinite wisdom (HA!) deleted them two years ago when I thought I didn't need them.

Suggestions?

• 1. Re: Browse sequence buttons not appearing in RoboHelp 9 .chm file
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi there

Look at the window properties. You will find it in the Project Set up pod. That's where you enable them because RoboHelp's HHActiveX.dll adds a special area to the window.

And don't forget that using Browse Sequences or the Glossary tab will force you to distribute the HHActiveX.dll file and ensure it is registered on each of your end user's PCs. And there are now two different versions. One for 32 bit machines and one for 64 bit machines.

Cheers... Rick

• 2. Re: Browse sequence buttons not appearing in RoboHelp 9 .chm file
            RoboColum(n) Level 5

Browse sequences in CHM files require each user's PC to have the HHACTIVEX.DLL file installed and registered. Beware that there are 32bit and 64bit versions of this file. If your CHM file is installed by an application, you can get the file installed as part of the install but you'd need to speak to your developers about this.

• 3. Re: Browse sequence buttons not appearing in RoboHelp 9 .chm file
              MM Acton Level 1

Thanks for that second notice. This help will be running on a Citrix box. I'll have to check with the sys admin. Right now, though, I just can't get it to work on my local laptop.

• 4. Re: Browse sequence buttons not appearing in RoboHelp 9 .chm file
                MM Acton Level 1

I opened the Project Set up pod. I have only the folder Windows, with no windows defined under that. (How did I manage that? )

So, if I add a new window, I can define the button and so on. But I'm a little afraid to add a new window this late in the game. If I add a new window, how do I get it to apply to the hundreds of existing topics?

(This might be a moot point if the sys admin says no to adding a DLL, but I thought I'd ask anyway.)

• 5. Re: Browse sequence buttons not appearing in RoboHelp 9 .chm file
                  MM Acton Level 1

Well, it *is* a moot point (the file doesn't exist already, so it would mean adding it, and it's too late to add complexity to the deployment). Still, I'm interested in the answer to the Window question.

• 6. Re: Browse sequence buttons not appearing in RoboHelp 9 .chm file
                    RoboColum(n) Level 5

Ensuring your window is specified in the Single Source Layout automatically displays all your topics in the resulting CHM using that window.

• 7. Re: Browse sequence buttons not appearing in RoboHelp 9 .chm file
                      Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hopefully Colum won't mind my following up on the window question.

The fact you had no window defined when you looked at the Project Set Up pod would seem to suggest that ANY window definition you created later should not mess with anything. This is because there isn't a definition to mess with.

As to the sys admin saying no to a DLL, I'm not exactly sure how that would actually play out in the end. CHM files are designed to be used locally. In a Citrix environment, I'm not sure how (or even if) that will work. The CHM would need to "see" the HHActiveX.dll and interpret it as a locally installed file.

Cheers... Rick

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Browse sequence buttons not appearing in RoboHelp 9 .chm file
                        johndaigle Level 4

Hi, MM Acton

Allow me to chime in with my esteemed colleagues. The first issue I see is that you do not have a Window Defined. You need a window in order to select the Browse Sequence Option for the CHM.

1. In Project Set Up create a new window, selecting Microsoft HTML Help as the type
                        2. On the Microsoft HTML Help Options Dialog, give the Window a name such as "CHMWindow" (No spaces)
                        3. Be sure to "tick" the Browse Sequence option and click OK
                        4. Double click the Microsoft HTML Help Single Source Layout to bring up the HTML Help Options dialog
                        5. From the Default Window drop down, select the CHMWindow you created
                        6. Save and Generate
                        7. This will show the browse sequence "icon avenue" (the showy icons at the top of the CHM)

As for the Citrix thing. If the machine hosting the CHM being viewed has the HHActiveX.DLL installed, the CHM should display as advertised. Tell your Admin that Adobe licenses unlimited re-distribution of that DLL.

You can find documentation on this redistribution license and how to register it in the online help:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/robohelp/robohtml/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d11aff59c2a0-7f49.ht ml

Here is the path where you will find the DLL itself:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 10\Redist

BTW, the reason the DLL was created in the first place is that Microsoft never provided a Browse Sequence or a Glossary tab in their "out of the box" offering so RoboHelp conveniently provides this to authors as a "extra".

Hope this helps

John

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

www.showmethedemo.com

@hypertexas

1 person found this helpful