3 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2013 9:52 AM by Fuzzy Barsik

Need Help Getting Color Back on Video (Too Bright)

IsaacSims

Hi,

This is my first time posting here so I hope I am in the right place. If there is a better place on the internet for me to ask this question, telling me would be greatly appreciated! Video from my school's musical came out too bright and you can barely see the actor's faces. I was hoping someone on here could help me restore the color or give me some tips to make it look a little nicer!

Here is a sample picture from the video that you can experiment with: http://imgur.com/6SCgiML

If anyone needs an actual video I would be happy to post a clip to YouTube!

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Isaac Sims

• 1. Re: Need Help Getting Color Back on Video (Too Bright)
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Sorry for the bad news, but what's not there is not there. As far as your camera's sensor is concerend, light is light and it doesn't differentiate between "I wanted that blown out hot desert look" or "oops, my aperture was too wide". The best you can do is to improve the contrast with a Levels or Curves effect and perhaps there may be a way to improve things slightly by using multiple duplaicate layers with blending modes like Color Dodge, Color, Multiply, Overlay, and Hard Light to take this one step further, but it will not recover any details in areas that are completely whited out. If you throw on a specific look, you might be able to sell it that way, but again, it's not gonna end up looking like a TV show.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Need Help Getting Color Back on Video (Too Bright)
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When any color value goes to the top of the range or the bottom of the range of available values there is nothing you can do to expand that. Blown out highlights are not recoverable because there is no additional data to recover.

• 3. Re: Need Help Getting Color Back on Video (Too Bright)
              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

If your footage contains some data in superwhites (and H.264 does allow to store some data in superwhites), you may be able to restore some details to some extent.

Data in Super Whites. 01.jpg

Data in Super Whites. 02.jpg

But, as others said, don't expect miracles: you can't restore what doesn't exist.

Instead of uploading a clip on YouTube share original footage sample (Dropbox is a nice tool for file sharing).