This content has been marked as final. Show 3 replies
We've had the same issue. Our relative links that worked in version 5 do not work in version 6.
We've tried dozens of variations with the syntax of the hyperlinks.
The only solution we've found is to use absolute hypterlinks: http://myserver/myfolder/myfile.htm to launch the Captivate simulations.
Or... you can also embed the Captivate simulation in the slide itself :)
I'm not sure if you have been visiting these forums since your last post back in October, but I found this thread and wanted to weigh in. I'm taking a previous post that was started some time ago when I responded to a similar problem about using relative links in the newest version of Presenter.
First, a couple of items to get out of the way:
1. Using Presenter 6.0 build 432, using MS PowerPoint 2007 and I published locally.
2. Set up links to pdfs, html pages and MS Word 2007, with the word file saved as a Word 2003 with ".doc" extension.
The hyperlink method within PowerPoint needs to be massaged just a bit in order for the pathing to be rectified when the deck is published. As far as I can tell, what I recently discovered is that Presenter 6.0 likes to have ALL associated files living within the resources folder within the data directory of published presentations. After several rounds of tests, here's the process I used to acheive the results and what I found:
I set up a project file and associated directories as mentioned in my earlier post above. Bottom line: I have a project folder that contains my ppt deck. Within that project folder, I have another folder called "localPublish". Lastly, inside the localPublish directory I created one last folder called "extAssets". The extAssets folder contains all my external assests (pdfs, docs, html, etc). And for the sake of being clear, I'm hoping that its obvious to everyone that the localPublish folder will utlimately contain the published presentation. Think of it this way: the extAssets directory is nested in the same location of the published deck; this way, if you have to republish your ppt file, the contents within the extAssets folder will NEVER be messed with!
That said, to resolve the error in pointing to a bogus url, I simply redirected a hyperlink in powerpoint:
Once I republished the file and tested the playback, the word document loaded and displayed properly (after waiting for Word to launch of course!). Bottom line, it's working, and fortunately all it took was a redirection of the link pointing to the asset I want to display. Also, I tried publishing 2 ways: to my project folder as well as the default My Adobe Presentations folder.
In both cases, each presentation had resolved links to external files.
Again, I think that Presenter 6.0 is looking for assets originating in the resources directory by default; by using the "../../" syntax, we're telling Presenter to look 2 directories up and out of the Resources folder. This redirection forces the browser to hunt down the file outside of the Data folder and should display the file(s) successfully.
Because I absolutely hate testing in an isolated manner (no to mention sounding like a complete idiot if this doesn't work for others!), what I'd like folks to do if possible: retype the hyperlink as indicated above. Please test this yourselves and report your findings here.
Again, I hope that helps!
Check out my forum for Breeze/Presenter at:
This method (using "../../" syntax) work locally, but the final presentation is not mobile. If you copy published files and linked files (in the rigth folder) to another location (in a web server for example), it don't work anymore. The relatives links of publication are transformed in absolute links in published files.
I have not found a method to keep relatives links in published files adobe presenter...