6 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2013 2:10 PM by A.T. Romano

Timeline playback issues

98taxi

I am having issues with the playback of clips in my timeline.  The clips will play for 1 or two seconds then stop.  If I click play the same thing repeats over and over.  The odd thing is that I can intermittently on occasion play the timeline without doing anything differently.

Before we go too deep pointing blame at hardware issues I am able to play these clips with NO problems using Aunsoft Final Mate, Windows Media Player as well as AE writer 5.0 which came with my camcorder.  I have the Panasonic HCX920. This camera records 1080/60p. with 5.1 channel audio.  When I select project assets I get the following info.  Type: MPEG Movie Size 1920X1080, frame Rate 59.94, Pixel ratio 1, average data rate 3Mb/sec, source audio 48Khz compressed 6 ch.,project audio 48Khz 32 bit floating point 6 ch.

I record to SandiskExtreme Pro SDHC UHS-I cards 16 GB.  I am adding the media using the 1080/60p preset in Elements 11.  I save my projects on my C drive but keep everything else including the imported video, scratch discs etc on my WD RE 4TB SATAIII hard drive.

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64Bit  I have 16 GB of RAM and the processor is the Intel i5-2500k CPU at 3.3GHz.

I have updated my Nvidia video card driver to the latest its the GT430.  I have also made sure that I am running the latest version of Quicktime.

I purchased the Adobe Premiere elements 11 Classroom in a book and have read it.  I have checked the problem solving docs on adobe's web site.  My concern is that I can play back these clips without any issues on everything that I have tried except PE11.

Correct me if I am wrong but I am supposed to play the entire timeline from beginning to end by pressing play without interruptions correct?

I have tried rendering the timeline but that doesn't seem to do anything.  There is no indication that lets you know if rendering is in progress or if completed. I know that  PE11 supports 1080/60p but is this cameras output something that PE11 doesn't handle?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Timeline playback issues
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your AVCHD 60p may be too much for your i5 to handle.

Try shooting some test footage in 60i and see if your playback is smoother.

If not, your computer may just need a tune-up and a tighter configuration.

BTW, you ARE using Premiere Elements' Add Media/from Flip or Camera to get the video from your camcorder to your computer, right? You aren't trying to work with the video while it's still on your SD card, right?

• 2. Re: Timeline playback issues
            98taxi Level 1

Doesn't that fact that I am able to playback these files on three other pieces of software put a hole in your theory of hardware limitations?

• 3. Re: Timeline playback issues
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Playing and Editing are VERY different

Play -VS- Edit http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1066154

• 4. Re: Timeline playback issues
                98taxi Level 1

So is viewing the timeline considered editing...I have not done anything as far as editing I am just trying to play the timeline.

Update, I just downloaded a trial of Sony Movie Studio Platinum and it plays the same files in its timeline no problem.

• 5. Re: Timeline playback issues
                  JMJarrige Level 2

If you previously made editing with PRE11 with other camcoders input, could you check your previous clips

can be read on the timeline as before ?

If it is the case, the issue could be linked to your new AVCHD camcorder input.

Have you a message, when starting PRE, on driver compatibility ?

In that case, you could try to delete the file named 'Baddrivers.txt' before restarting PREL.

To find the exact process, make a keyword search on 'incompatible driver' in this forum to find the discussions about

this playback issue.

Bon courage.

JM

• 6. Re: Timeline playback issues
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

98taxi

Please excuse the question, I was reading about your Panasonic HCX920 offerings and noted  AVCHD 1080p60 and AVCHD 3D.

What is the difference in the properties between the two so that one can distinquish between the two on a MediaInfo or other properties readout?

You wrote

I have tried rendering the timeline but that doesn't seem to do anything.  There is no indication that lets you know if rendering is in progress or if completed.

When you tried to render the Timeline containing the 1080p60, was there an orange line, green line, or no colored line over its content on the Timeline? If you have no colored line or a green line, there is no rendering when you press the Render Button or press Enter or go Timeline/Render Work Area, just playback of your Timeline. The colored line indicator system is the program telling you whether or not it feels that you are getting the best possible preview for what you are seeing in the Edit Mode monitor at playback. With no colored line or green indicator, no rendering since the program feels that you are getting the best possible preview. You realize that once you edit that "rendered" clip it will require rendering to get the best possible preview of what you then have. If orange line over time and you render, you know the rendering process is complete when the orange line is completely replaced by a green one.

When all is said and done, at this point, if you export your 1080p60, what does the export look like on your player? Are you seeing the same problems in the export as you are seeing at the Timeline level?

If you are exporting the 1080p60, then to what...1080p60 with 5.1 channel audio? If you want to do that, as 1080p60 with AAC 5.1 Channel Audio I can tell you how to do that. Can do as AAC but not Dolby Digital.

If you did want to follow up on JMJarrige's suggestion about deleting the BadDrivers.txt file, in your Windows 7 64 bit, the BadDrivers.txt file can be found in the path:

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete.

I may have missed the information in what has already been written, so I would appreciate it if you could remind me how you are importing your 1080p60 into Premiere Elements

a. from memory card into Premiere Elements via one of the Add Media choices as mentioned by SG, that is, the FLIP one

or

b. transferring your 1080p60 to the computer hard drive save location, followed by import into Premiere Elements 11 via its Add Media/Files and Folders?

Just some thoughts.

ATR