20 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2014 2:12 PM by nealeh RSS

After putting photos in the PrE11 organizer, My Picutres folder is gone.

Tommyvincent Community Member

I was trying to figure out how to add  new folders on the PrE11 organizer. Now I know how. But as I was adding a few photos from the My Pictures folder to the organizer, the My Pictures folder suddenly was empty. When I clicked on it all I saw was an Adobe folder with the property, "This folder is empty." In other words, the My Pictures folder is there but when I click on it I see an empty Adobe folder icon.

I see all my photos scattered throughout the My Documents folder on the hard drive. How can I restore the photos to the My Pictures folder. I have a new computer and I did not yet connect the external hard drive as a backup.

It looks like a serious problem. I hope it's fixable.

• 1. Re: After putting photos in the PrE11 organizer, My Picutres folder is gone.
          Steve Grisetti MVP

It's hard to tell what you did.

Can you describe in detail what steps you took? Adding media files to your Organizer catalog does not change their location on your computer.

• 2. Re: After putting photos in the PrE11 organizer, My Picutres folder is gone.

In the PrE 11 Organizer I clicked on File/Get Photos and Videos/From Files and Folders. The My Pictures folder on my hard drive immediately appeared. I selected a photo or several photos in this folder and clicked Get Media. The photos I selected then appeared in the Media Browser. From there I dragged the photos to the folders at the left of the Media Browser.

I did this at least a dozen times with no problem. But then there was a problem. The Pictures Folder on my hard drive was empty. (I still had over 200 photos though.) When I clicked on it an Adobe folder appeared. When I clicked on this I got the message, "This folder is empty."

You wrote, "Adding media files to your Organizer catalog does not change their location on your computer." I understand that. But something happened. Can it be fixed? The photos are not deleted; they are in My Documents all scattered around. I wish there was a button I could push that would make it all right again.

• 3. Re: After putting photos in the PrE11 organizer, My Picutres folder is gone.
              A.T. Romano Community Member

Tommyvincent

Bottom line: I am confirming your results that you just descibed.

I just saw your latest post and thought I would run through the steps you did and report on my findings.

The big question for me is to what folders at the left of the Media Browser did you drag your photos (Organizer thumbnails) that you had just imported into the Elements Organizer?

What you do when you did what you did was effectively move the photos from My Pictures to one of your new folders? Please remind me why you were going through the maneuver of:

• Organizer File Menu/Get Photos and Videos/From Files and Folders
              • Going to My Pictures and selecting photos and clicking Get Media to put thumbnails for the photos into the Organizer window
              • Dragging the photos (thumbnails displaying in the Organizer) to the folder at the left of the Organizer window

Someone wrote about moving photos from one drive to another the other day. Was that you? I meant to get back to that thread but got detoured. If that was you in that other thread, then from what you wrote here you have gotten what you are after moving original from one hard drive location to another (not sure at this point in your example if it was a drive to drive move or just a folder to folder move within the same drive.

Then, in what way do you wnat to "make it all right again"?

Please explain, and I will see if I can figure out a way to do just that.

ATR

• 4. Re: After putting photos in the PrE11 organizer, My Picutres folder is gone.

Everything is not lost! This morning I clicked on the Start Menu/Pictures. When I clicked on the Pictures folder, the Abobe folder icon came up - "This folder is empty." Then from the Start Menu I clicked on Personal Folder (the one at the top of the list) which I labeled Tommy. Among the many folder there I found two My Pictures folders. The first one when I clicked it was Adobe. The second one had all my photos arranged in proper order, that is, according to date.

The My Pictures/Adobe folder was created on 5/31/2013. And it was created at the time that I saw the problem.

You wrote, "Please remind me why you were going through the maneuver..."

In the organizer I could not find how to create more folders. There is no "Add a new folder button" as I was instructed to find in the Help tutorial. But I found if I brought a folder from My Pictures to the Organizer, I could rename it and then I could add the photos I wanted. Really, I was just fooling around.

As you can gather from my writing, I am not knowledgeable about the computer, but I'm trying to learn a few things. The one thing I don't want to do is lose something again - like all my photos.

This is a straightforward question pertaining to: "Then, in what way do you want to make it all right again"?

Should I delete the My Pictures folder that when clicked shows the empty Adobe icon?

How do I get the Pictures folder with all my photos back to its usual place in the column to the right of the Start Menu? I don't want to start deleting without knowing what I'm doing.

This is an edit 45 minutes later. What I want to do is get rid of the Adobe folder that is accessed when I click the Pictures folder. And I want to restore the folder that is a link to all the photos on my hard drive. When I click on Start I have this list to the right of the Start menu (Windows 7): Tommy, Documents, Pictures, Music, Control Menu, etc. In the Tommy folder when I click it I have the two My Pictures folders. One with all my photos and one with the Adobe, "the folder is empty", folder.

I'm not going to do anything till I hear from you. I hope the restore process is not complex.

• 5. Re: After putting photos in the PrE11 organizer, My Picutres folder is gone.
                  nealeh Community Member

There are two folder views in PRE11. Folder List that just shows you the name of the folder in a long list, and Folder Hierarchy that shows them in a similar manner to Windows Explorer. You switch between the two views by clicking the icon next to the heading. You need to be in Hierarchy View to add a new folder.

List View. Click the icon to switch to Hierarchy View.

2.png

Hierarchy View. Click the icon to switch to List View.

1.png

It would seem that in the final stage of your import you moved the files from their current folders to wherever you dragged them to. To leave them in place you select the folder, or individual images and click the Get Media button.

3.png

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary. You get it from your children.

• 6. Re: After putting photos in the PrE11 organizer, My Picutres folder is gone.

Tommyvincent

That empty Adobe Folder that you saw when you went to Start Button/Picture easy link options, could have two origins...

a. You created in as an added Folder sometimes during your experimenting

or

b. You have an automatically generated Adobe Folder which contains the necessary folder(s) to accept  anything that you created in the program dealing with

Audio Captions

Other Photos

Outgoing E-Mail Attachments

If this empty Adobe Folder that you ran into here is of this kind, you can delete it in Owner (aka Tommy) or Pictures in the easy assess links, but once you go into the program and create audio captions, etc., that kind of Adobe Folder will be regenerated with the folder(s) needed to accept the given creation.

The next interesting part of all this related to what you wrote concerning

from the Start Menu I clicked on Personal Folder (the one at the top of the list) which I labeled Tommy. Among the many folder there I found two My Pictures folders. The first one when I clicked it was Adobe. The second one had all my photos arranged in proper order, that is, according to date.

I was surprised that there could be two folders with the same name in the same place. But I tried it and you can when I followed your steps in this regard. I cannot be sure but I am suspecting that the second folder was an added folder by you. If that were so, then it would seem reasonable to assume if this "Adobe Folder" is empty, that it can be deleted, leaving you with one intact My Pictures Folder in the Owner (Tommy) easy access link route.

For now, I would suggest that you do all your folders and file per folder creation and selection at the hard drive level and then import photos into the Elements Organizer where you will be able to locate them in the Folder structure at the left of the interface, instead of what you have been doing. NOTE LOCATE rather than MOVE, DELETING FROM ONE AREA TO PLACE IN ANOTHER in the Organizer.

Right now I am seeing copy/paste of what is correct at the hard drive level to set things right. But, as I see it in order to keep My Pictures in focus, you need to distinguish between Owner and Public Photos and then follow the appropropriate directory for whichever you select.

Could you give two screenshots of the "now" with regard to the

C:\Users\Public vs C;\Users\Owners.

pointing out where you know your photos to be at this point.

This is my take on the situation. Let us see the alternate approaches of others before taking action.

I would like to give you a definitive do this or do that but I am not sure of any side effects from your experimenting that might cloud my view of pittfalls here.

We will watch for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: After putting photos in the PrE11 organizer, My Picutres folder is gone.
                      Stephanie HC Community Member

Similar thing just happened to me and I just posted a question about it and I DID NOTHING!  The whole Adobe folder was moved from My Pictures to My Documents and it shows that the folder was modified at 7 in the morning which was NOT me ... at 7:00 am I am drinking coffee and checking e-mail.  Full details in my question.

Stephanie HC

• 8. Re: After putting photos in the PrE11 organizer, My Picutres folder is gone.

Stephanie HC

After reading your post, I wondered where "Full details in my question"?

Could you be referring to your thread in the Photoshop Elements Forum to which DJ_Paige responded?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6141717#6141717

If that is the Full details to which you refer, I will read them and give you an opinion. However, DJ_Paige is a highly skilled user of the programs and computer, and his opinions should be followed up with him in that Photoshop Elements Forum  thread.

Even if you were not at the computer at 7 am, automatic scheduled computer processes might have been in action which resulted in whatever event occurred in your computer resulting in this mishap.

More later after I study the thread to which I think you referred.

ATR

• 9. Re: After putting photos in the PrE11 organizer, My Picutres folder is gone.

SOMETHING happened - I just posted to the PSE yahoo group and reading through previous messages someody posted they they had lost ALL the tags in their organizer during the same time period.  She was directed to a page explaining how files are linked, she was referred to a message on this forum message # 64745 which I briefly skimmed over as I am already out of time. Could these be related issues? This will be a PITA  for too many people if so!

Stephanie H

• 10. Re: After putting photos in the PrE11 organizer, My Picutres folder is gone.
                            nealeh Community Member

You haven't answered the question you were asked in your other topic about your Organizer save location (in Edit> Preferences> Files).

Forum topic 64745 is about Java so nothing to do with PSE at all.

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 11. Re: After putting photos in the PrE11 organizer, My Picutres folder is gone.

I think we are all getting confused !  I posted a NEW message in another thread,  then I was looking through suggested messages and found this thread and posted a comment since I thought it mught be a related issue. Since I am still looking for the answer and I was told my problem had noting to do with PSE  I wondered if it could be an issue to do with the coding of the only FOLDER that was set up by the Adobe downloader, so went to the PSE yahoo group to post a question there and while doing so scrolled through previous messages and found someone posting that she had lost all her organizer tags during the same time period.  I am just trying to put clues together to try to find out what happened. I never asked about an Organizer save location, since I did not use the Organizer. I had a very exact system of folders and sub folders by category and subcategory, so when I first bought PSE, the original image would stay in the Adobe folder but the cropped, trimmed and otherwise edited versions were renamed and saved to the desired folder.  All of those photos are still where I put them! It is the folder created by the Adobe downloader that has been moved.

Stephanie

• 12. Re: After putting photos in the PrE11 organizer, My Picutres folder is gone.
                                nealeh Community Member

When you are using the downloader what is the download folder?

2.png

Note that even if you are not using the Organizer, this default download location is picked up from Organizer preferences.

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 13. Re: After putting photos in the PrE11 organizer, My Picutres folder is gone.

I am not using the downloader on this computer - this folder was copied over from my old computer - still running but OFFLINE - along with everything else using a Seagate Go-Flex Free Agent back up drive. Its current location is users.stephanie.documents and was modified as shown above and when looking at those properties it starts \\localhost\C$\@GMT........ etc. The folder ALSO is marked "read only applies to files in folders".  I really do NOT want to do a system restore and lose all my AV updates and anything else that could be critical when everything else is working.  Is my best best to fire up the old machine, move everything OUT of the adobe folder bit by bit, then copy over to this computer? I have not even tried to access the images since the change, just looking at the directory list of folders with no way of knowing what named images are inside makes my brain freeze .....

Stephanie

• 14. Re: After putting photos in the PrE11 organizer, My Picutres folder is gone.
                                    nealeh Community Member

Since you still have the old machine you might be best to follow the recommended method for moving a catalog from one machine to another, using the PSE Backup/Restore function. Full details at http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/backup-restore-move-catalog-photoshop.html. This should ensure you get all your structure and naming back as it was.

Note the section "Special notes if you back up from Windows XP and restore to Windows Vista or 7".

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale

• 15. Re: After putting photos in the PrE11 organizer, My Picutres folder is gone.

Thank you Neale, now I have a bigger headache than before ...... I cannot do that until I buy and install a current version of PSE, since it tells me that I have to open the PSE organizer in order to import the catalogue.  When I first copied everything over I just saved everything and transferred them over in one dump, which is why I still have no idea what old text files I have as all document files and folders went into the documents library!  Imagine going into a REAL library with every book filed alphabetically after throwing out the dewey decimal system, and then trying to find a book without knowing the exact title .... and not having a section with like items on the same shelf (AKA a folder system on a computer). I may have to just go through that whole thing one folder a day for the next 6 months and copy the contents one by one to a new folder ..... !  I really want to find out WHAT happened and HOW it happened.

Stephanie

• 16. Re: After putting photos in the PrE11 organizer, My Picutres folder is gone.
                                        nealeh Community Member

You're allowed to install your original copy on two PC's if that's any help.

I really can't think of anything that would move an entire folder arbitrarily. Even anti-virus software would normally only quarantine individual files rather than a whole folder.

Perplexing and I feel for you! When you've put so much into organising them, it must be so frustrating to see them all jumbled around.

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale

• 17. Re: After putting photos in the PrE11 organizer, My Picutres folder is gone.

Well, I found the CD in its case but I have not yet found the book - but I seem to remember when I bought this laptop that it was too old a version - please don't wince - v.3.0! I bought it from Staples when my XP computer was new but since it worked perfectly well, I never upgraded and have never used a bootleg version. The box doesnt give the system requrements but I remember checking it out when I bought this laptop and being told that I needed an upgraded version for this computer Win 7 64 bit system and it has been on my want list ever since.

Stephanie

• 18. Re: After putting photos in the PrE11 organizer, My Picutres folder is gone.
                                            nealeh Community Member

You could try right-clicking the setup.exe file on the cd and selecting properties. In the compatibility tab select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)", and check the "Run this program as an administrator" box. If that does install OK do the same on the shortcut that starts the program.

1.png

And there's nothing wrong with using old software if it does everything you want. I still have plenty of software from the nineties I regularly use.

Cheers,
                                            --
                                            Neale

• 19. Re: After putting photos in the PrE11 organizer, My Picutres folder is gone.

I'm the one who started the original thread. My problem with my Picture folder has not been resolved but at least I can work with my photos. The photos in the Picture folder are now fragmented into four different places. I don't know how to consolidate this mess. I'll worry about that later.

I thought if I uninstalled Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 some of the chaos in the Picture folder might vanish - magical thinking. But I can't uninstall it! I have Windows 7 and went through the uninstall process several times.

When it looks like the uninstall Wizard is finally going to do the job, I get this message: To deactivate your application, please connect to the Internet and "try again" else "continue" without deactivating or "Cancel" uninstallation.

Of course I connected to the Internet but I can't get beyond the message that pops up.

By the way, I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 11 for editing my videos. I like everything about the program, although I had a few problems when I started to use it.

• 20. Re: After putting photos in the PrE11 organizer, My Picutres folder is gone.
                                                nealeh Community Member

Temporarily:

• disable your anti-virus and firewall
                                                • renaming C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts to something else.

afterwards you can rename hosts back, and turn back on your firewall and anti-virus.

Cheers,
                                                --
                                                Neale