2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2007 11:06 AM by Ansury

Using flex for desktop software

redCashion Level 1
      I would like to use Flex to make "downloadable" software that is run from the desktop, using the traditional license key kind of model. Outside of Apollo is there anything else that can be done to accommodate this kind model, and even with Apollo do you think Flex is a good choice? I would love to use it since I am familiar with Actionscript and like the graph classes.
        • 1. Re: Using flex for desktop software
          JKohn99 Level 1
          Apollo (or now AIR) is the only way to run Flex as a desktop application. As far if Flex with air is the right choice it depends on what you need to accomplish.
          • 2. Using flex for desktop software
            Ansury Level 3
            Yeah, Apollo/AIR does a good job with Flex, but there's a few things to be aware of:

AIR is something like Java, requiring a runtime environment to be installed (where Java requires a JRE to be installed). (And, the correct version of course.) Not a big deal to install, but it is an extra step in the process. I'm not sure if it can be automated in any way to look like one install.

AIR can't execute native applications (yet?). i.e. You can't say Shell.execute("program.exe"); without some form of hack to get around this limitation. (Although, it can access your hard drive.)

I think I may be forgetting another semi-major aspect, but I'll add that if I think of it.

Other than these I've had no troubles using AIR/Flex, so far.