1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 1, 2013 8:46 AM by Harm Millaard

Brief answer to my 4k Res. Computer Build for Cs6 Premiere - A.E, etc...

DroGoesPro

Hello there i am planning to build a massive computer for our video team in which we will be using for Filming/Editing with 4k resolution using Cs6 Premiere pro/ After Effects, Etc..I have been out of the loop with building Pc's for the past 5 years, but doing a bit of research was all it took and this is what i have came up with. My main concern is rendering speeds or any sort of lag while editing, that's what we are attempting to eliminate drastically here.

Specifications:

BOARD: ASUS P9X79 PRO LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS

CHIP:  Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K

RAM:  G.SKILL Trident X Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10Q-32GTX

HARD DRIVE:  SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD500BW 2.5" 500GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

GRAPHICS:  EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

We will be using the 500Gb ssd primarily for programs and some editing footages. But besides that most of our film will be directly on external drives, connected through E-SATA or USB 3.0. for the fastest transfer rate that would be needed. The input you all give would be greatly appreciated thanks! Check us out @ www.preplexproductions.com

• 1. Re: Brief answer to my 4k Res. Computer Build for Cs6 Premiere - A.E, etc...
          Harm Millaard Level 7

IMPORTANT: Change the Trident X memory sticks for G.Skill Ripjaws Z F3 sticks. They are not as high physically and most importantly, they run on 1.5V, not 1.65V. Trident X will give serious problems with a fully populated motherboard. It may not even start. The lower physical height of the Ripjaws will not cause problems with the CPU cooler.

You have only told part of the story. What about CPU cooler, PSU, chassis, raid controller, disks, etc.

Change the Samsung 840 for a Samsung 840 Pro.

Change the EVGA GTX 680/2G for the 4G model, or even consider the GTX Titan for all the 4K material. Unfortunately the GTX 780 is only available with 3G VRAM.

External drives connected over eSATA or USB3 will be far too slow for 4K editing. You want to look at disk solutions that deliver sustained transfer rates in excess of 800+ MB/s and if they are externals disks, for instance 19" rack mounted, make sure you only use SAS 3.0 SFF connections, never eSATA or USB3 or 10 Gb ethernet. One single SFF connection has a bandwidth of 48 Gpbs. eSATA 3.0 achieves only 6 Gbps and USB3 only 5 Gbps.

You will need a very good raid controller with large cache memory and a BBM (battery backup module). Also you will need to overclock the CPU to something like 4.5 GHz or higher. The alternative is to go for a dual Xeon E5-2687W, higher priced but better suited for 4K material.

Take a look at Intro Part 1 and following pages for some ideas.