14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2013 6:11 PM by Rod Lord

Convert 6.5 project files to CS6 ?

Rod Lord

I have a large number of what could be termed "heritage" project files originally created and much used in AE v 6.5.

Clients return to re-edit these projects which can span years.

I didn't realise when I upgraded hardware and software after 10 years that in CS6 Adobe would have made absolutely no attempt whatever to consider this continuity aspect.

I discover that apparently CS5 can open these files - and save them in a form that CS6 can use.

I have been trying to find a way of purchasing a copy of AfterEffects CS5 just for this purpose alone - without any luck.

Adobe now apparently don't sell software any longer - they will only "rent" it to you with a subscription to the *@!**<>*ing CLOUD.

Can anyone please help me out here and tell me how I can purchase an actual standalone version of AE CS5 ?

I live in great hope ! - thanks in advance.

Rod

• 1. Re: Convert 6.5 project files to CS6 ?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Other than a used copy from someone, you won't find CS4/CS5 anywhere at this point. It might be easier to simply find someone who has one of those versions and can batch-convert your files.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Convert 6.5 project files to CS6 ?
            Rod Lord Level 1

Thanks Mylenium.

Problem is that I couldn't possibly come up with a disk containing all these projects and the associated assets. Not only would it be HUGE an awful lot of them are archived on doubled Firewire Retrospect disk sets and I would only need to convert the file if the project has to be recalled.

So I need a way to deal with an older file if and when it rears its head in a year, or two, or ten.

It seems that the only realistic solution is to find someone prepared to sell me their old copy.

Anybody ?

Rod

• 3. Re: Convert 6.5 project files to CS6 ?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

What's the name of that auction web site a lot of people use?  Oh yeah, EBay.....

• 4. Re: Convert 6.5 project files to CS6 ?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you did a bunch of projects in 6.5 and you had CS5 why not use your old copy of CS5? If you skipped a bunch of upgrades then you'll have to find a legal copy of CS5 to purchase. It's not only Adobe software that run into these kinds of problems. As technology changes so do the apps. If you choose not to stay current then you loose the opportunity to retrieve archival projects. It's all a part of the cost of doing business. Unfortunately, most people I know in this business know very little about operating a profitable business.

• 5. Re: Convert 6.5 project files to CS6 ?
                  Rod Lord Level 1

Thanks Dave - sadly eBay has no offers - tried it long ago. I try not to come here until I've at least had a go at finding my own solution. Then I hope for as little sarcasm as poss.

Thanks Rick too ! Did try to run a business - I still try to run a business - managed to keep it going from 1971 till 2004 - it was called Pearce Studios Ltd. I still get paying work as Rod Lord - just about keeps me going each year.

And ... er ... the point is that I don't have CS5 and never did. I went straight from 6.5 to CS6 - which is why I am now asking this question.

The reason I stuck to the same operating system and hardware and software for 10 years was because I had 11 cpus running and while it was all still doing what I needed it made no business sense whatever to change.

Anyway - this is all kind of off track. I'll sign off now as it doesn't look as if anyone has a version of CS5 to offer.

Cheers - and thanks for all the fish ...

• 6. Re: Convert 6.5 project files to CS6 ?
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I meant no offence about running a business. That's a long time between versions.

• 7. Re: Convert 6.5 project files to CS6 ?
                      Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

After just a moment of searching ebay I found:

After Effects CS5 Mac

After Effects CS4 Windows

After Effects CS4 Windows

Master Collection CS5 for Windows

Master Collection CS5 for Mac

These were just on the first page, of which there were dozens. 

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Convert 6.5 project files to CS6 ?
                        Rod Lord Level 1

Thanks Andrew - I'm afraid I was foolishly searching .co.uk for cs5 mac.

The first item on the list you sent will apparently ship to UK with an extra $130 shipping and import tax so I will pursue that - thank you !

• 9. Re: Convert 6.5 project files to CS6 ?

No problem, Rod.  I'm often the victim myself of thinking locally in this very global world. (In Australia, that makes the market quite small!)  :-)

$130 sounds like an awful lot of import tax for an old piece of software like that.  I'd certainly pursue a private seller who's prepared to post you a CD and serial number before spending that kind of cash.

That said, if you want to keep it on the up-and-up, and if all this is deductble anyway, it seems like a good deal from a reputable seller.

• 10. Re: Convert 6.5 project files to CS6 ?
                            Rod Lord Level 1

OK - I've bought the CS5 on eBay shipping from the US - thanks Andrew for that link.

Can anyone tell me please if I can run CS5 from the same applications folder as CS6 or do I need to install a lean version of Mountain Lion on an external drive and fire it up just when I need to convert an AE project ?

Rick - no offence taken. But to an old fogey like me 10 years is nothing. Our Prime running Medusa that was installed in 1981 was not retired till 1995 and did sterling work almost 24 hours a day all the way through. Also the project files from work I was doing using COSA's original After Effects in 1993-4 were never un-openable ... till now ! Of course when I needed them they had to be converted by whatever version of AE I was running at the time - but the point is that historical continuity had been recognised as important to the CUSTOMER, and therefore respected and allowed for by the software designers. Attention span is shrivelling it seems. But that's probably just the old fart grumbling again ...

COSA.jpg

• 11. Re: Convert 6.5 project files to CS6 ?

There's definitely no problem having multiple versions of After Effects installed on the same machine, Rod.  They happily coexist. 

Personally, I've only ever installed newer versions after their predecessors, so I'd imagine the very worst scenario that might occur would require the re-install of any newer AE versions afterward.  But quite possible that won't eventuate and everything will play nicely without problem.

• 12. Re: Convert 6.5 project files to CS6 ?
                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There's no need to buy a used copy for this. You can download and use the CS5 trial version free for 30 days. Here are links for that:

http://prodesigntools.com/all-adobe-cs5-direct-download-links.html

> but the point is that historical continuity had been recognised as important to the CUSTOMER, and therefore respected and allowed for by the software designers. Attention span is shrivelling it seems

The current versions of After Effects can open projects from versions that are almost 10 years old. This is as long as has ever been the case. Older versions did not go back any further. In fact, previous versions (like CS5) could open projects from 5 versions back. Now it's 6 versions back. So, it's not fair or correct to suggest that we are treating this as less important than we have in the past.

• 13. Re: Convert 6.5 project files to CS6 ?
                                  Rod Lord Level 1

Thanks Andrew - I'll try it and see what happens.

• 14. Re: Convert 6.5 project files to CS6 ?
                                    Rod Lord Level 1

Thanks Todd - I've bought a full unused copy on the basis that I can't hope to predict and carry out in one month all the projects I might have to convert before they carry me out in a box.

My apologies if you think I have been unfair to Adobe in my comments. It is my perception - but I stand corrected.