13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2013 1:39 PM by Sameer G

Why is the PDF tab missing?

Sameer G Level 1

Hello!

I have created some PDF files and tagged them using the Document Properties dialog box of Acrobat X Pro (File> Properties). But when I view the properties of the file in Windows, I don't see these tags in the Details tab. Searching for help on the Adobe website I found a reference to a PDF tab. This tab is supposed to appear in the native file properties dialog of Windows. But I don't see this tab when I view the file properties of a PDF file. Why?

The only reason to tag a document, from my perspective, is to make it searchable. I want to be able to easily search and find my PDF files with given tags. But how do you do a system wide file search if the PDF tag information is not read or supported by Windows, and it's not added by the Adobe software? For the record, I am using Windows Vista.

You can also enter and read the data properties information from the desktop. Right-click the document in Windows Explorer, choose Properties, and click the PDF tab. Any information you type or edit in this dialog box also appears in the Document Properties Description when you open the file.

If I manage to get this feature enabled, will I be able to do a search for *.pdf in Windows Explorer and maybe select the tag invoice so that I will get all the PDF files that are tagged as invoice? Or will I need a dedicated document management system for this?

Soruces:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/X/pro/using/WS58a04a822e3e50102bd615109794195ff-7c66.w .html

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/X/pro/using/WS58a04a822e3e50102bd615109794195ff-7c34.w .html

• 1. Re: Why is the PDF tab missing?
          Sameer G Level 1

I give up!

I found this old thread. But it's just all too overwhelming for my taste. I have read it, but I don't know how relevant the information is anyway. I mean, come on, the thread is from 2009! How relevant is all of this in 2013 and now that Adobe has released Acrobat X Pro, and now even Acrobat XI Pro? And the Acrobat Reader is no longer Acrobat Reader, the name has changed to Adobe Reader.

Copy this and that, edit this and that registry key or string, take the DLL from the old version of the software and copy it to the directory of the new software... it's all redundant and silly! What are we... hacking now?

A simple feature like this should work out of the box! Period! I have given up on this completely. It is absolutely not worth my time. I have no intention to start messing around with DLL files, Windows registry keys, COM class objects, and what not. I'm not here to develop a new breed of the Adobe Acrobat product. I am only interested in using it to perform my daily tasks. If there are no simple ways to resolve the issue, well so be it. It should not be harder than giving simple help instructions, like giving some pointers such as "make sure you reinstall the software".

And for the record, yes, I have reinstalled Adobe Reader by downloading the latest version from Adobe website. After reboot I also ran the Updater for Adobe Acrobat X Pro, it found a new version, downloaded and installed it. All that to no avail. The problem still remains. I did not reinstall Adobe Acrobat X Pro because I don't want to. I have no intention to screw up a perfectly working system, program setup and configuration, just to get a simple function like this to work properly.

I don't know if this feature ever worked for me, or if it stoped working recently. Because I only started using this feature recently. But I'm pretty confident to say that it never worked. I look at my file properties every now and then, and I think I would have noticed a "PDF" tab appearing out of nowhere. I can tell something's different with a dialog window when there is a change like that. And I know I had the "PDF" tab back in Windows XP, so I'm not completely unfamiliar with it. I know what it is, but it's just isn't there anymore.

Also, in my experience, there is alwys some kind of conflict that arises between Acrobat Reader and Acrobat Pro. The moment you install them both, some PDF related features you previously had are lost. The most famous one is perhaps the preview handler in Outlook. It always seemed as if the Acrobat Reader was always better integrated into a Windows system than the Acrobat Pro version. The Acrobat Pro was and is still more productivity oriented, while the Acrobat Reader always made sure you had those previews in Outlook, and it also integrated well with Explorer or Windows Shell. Acrobat Pro always managed to somehow screw up that integration, and I mean it's beyond file type association. So it's best to not have them both (but things like preview is only available in the Reader version).

Adobe needs to make better software and then everything will be much easier. It seems to me that this "feature" has been deprecated by Adobe. So even though you might have the correct registry keys and DLL files onboard, they are not being used anyway.

• 2. Re: Why is the PDF tab missing?
            CtDave Level 5

... tagged using the Document Properties dialog.

That does not "tag" PDF.
            PDF "tags" have nothing in common with "tags" one provides for photos or files via the OS's file browser.
            Here's what ISO 32000-1:2008 (the ISO Standard for PDF) has to say about "Tagged PDF":

Tagged PDF (PDF 1.4) is a stylized use of PDF that builds on the logical structure framework described in 14.7, “Logical Structure.” It defines a set of standard structure types and attributes that allow page content (text, graphics, and images) to be extracted and reused for other purposes. A tagged PDF document is one that conforms to the rules described in this sub-clause. A conforming writer is not required to produce tagged PDF documents; however, if it does, it shall conform to these rules.

NOTE 1  It is intended for use by tools that perform the following types of operations:
            •Simple extraction of text and graphics for pasting into other applications
            •Automatic reflow of text and associated graphics to fit a page of a different size than was assumed for the original layout
            •Processing text for such purposes as searching, indexing, and spell-checking
            •Conversion to other common file formats (such as HTML, XML, and RTF) with document structure and basic styling information preserved
            •Making content accessible to users with visual impairments (see 14.9, “Accessibility Support”)

Best practice for creation of a Tagged PDF is to master content in a manner that supports Tagged PDF using an authoring application and tag management the supports output of well-formed Tagged PDF.
            An alternative is to use Acrobat Pro (for X or XI - Tools > Accessibility > Add Tags to Document).
            Once this is done work within the structure tree to do the requisite clean up (the automated routine puts you at the stadium enterance - the manual cleanup puts you on the playing field).

Be well...

• 3. Re: Why is the PDF tab missing?
              CtDave Level 5

To enter or edit information in the Description tab of a PDF's Document Properties you would use Acrobat. Adobe Reader cannot do this.

After entering/editing the PDF's metadata (that is what the "Description" tab provides) you would, of course, save via a Save As (provides the "kitchen cleanup" after "cooking" so to speak).

Both Windows XP and Vista provide the requisite code to display a PDF's Document Properties > Description (as you've noted).

I cannot speak to why your Vista box is not providing the 'view' of this.

As a data point both my XP boxes and Vista boxes do provide the 'view' via Window's file properties dialog.  fwiw - my Win 8 box does not. But again, the capability is something Microsoft either does or does not provide in the OS. Not something controlled by Adobe's Acrobat or Adobe Reader.

As to search of PDFs via the Windows Desktop Search -

From Acrobat and Reader 7.0.5 forward to the current updates for Acrobat / Adobe Reader XI Adobe's "iFilter" functionality is in-built.

So the Windows Desktop Search engine can catalog PDFs and both metadata and PDF page content (if that content is renderable text) will be cataloged and searchable with Window Desktop Search.

Be well....

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Why is the PDF tab missing?
                Sameer G Level 1

CtDave wrote:

To enter or edit information in the Description tab of a PDF's Document Properties you would use Acrobat. Adobe Reader cannot do this.

After entering/editing the PDF's metadata (that is what the "Description" tab provides) you would, of course, save via a Save As (provides the "kitchen cleanup" after "cooking" so to speak).

Both Windows XP and Vista provide the requisite code to display a PDF's Document Properties > Description (as you've noted).

I cannot speak to why your Vista box is not providing the 'view' of this.

As a data point both my XP boxes and Vista boxes do provide the 'view' via Window's file properties dialog.  fwiw - my Win 8 box does not. But again, the capability is something Microsoft either does or does not provide in the OS. Not something controlled by Adobe's Acrobat or Adobe Reader.

As to search of PDFs via the Windows Desktop Search -

From Acrobat and Reader 7.0.5 forward to the current updates for Acrobat / Adobe Reader XI Adobe's "iFilter" functionality is in-built.

So the Windows Desktop Search engine can catalog PDFs and both metadata and PDF page content (if that content is renderable text) will be cataloged and searchable with Window Desktop Search.

Be well....

Yes, I have been using Document Properties window. That's File > Properties, and then the Description tab. Is this the right place to add tags or not?

Yes, I always save the changes, even if I only added some tags and description of the PDF document, it still needs to be saved.

Where is this 'view' of yours? Are you saying you have a tab called View in your file properties dialog box?

When I right click a PDF file and choose Properties I get the generic file properties dialox box in Windows, and the tabs I have is General, Security, Details, Acronis Recovery, and Previous Versions. No other tab is avilable. The first three are shown for every file, the Acronis Recovery tab is added by Acronis True Image, and Previous Version is used in Ultimate version of Vista for shadow copies.

But there is no special PDF tab that will reveal the tags added in Acrobat Pro, and they are not shown in the Details tab.

So where do you see this information? On what tab in the file properties dialog box do you see this?

Is this the IFilter you are referring to?

"Starting with Acrobat and Reader 7.0.5, iFilter functionality is now bundled within the Acrobat and Reader products.  Improvements to iFilter in Acrobat and Reader 8 include support for Vista and Windows Desktop Search, as well as improved performance and stability."

How do I know if the filter is installed?

If I have Windows Vista SP2 I won't need to install the IFilter?

• 5. Re: Why is the PDF tab missing?
                  Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

This might be as expected.

Do you have 32-bit or 64-bit Vista?

Please try this, too. Start Acrobat and do File > Open. In the Open dialog RIGHT click on any PDF and choose Properties. Do you see the PDF tab now?

• 6. Re: Why is the PDF tab missing?
                    Sameer G Level 1

Test Screen Name wrote:

This might be as expected.

Do you have 32-bit or 64-bit Vista?

Please try this, too. Start Acrobat and do File > Open. In the Open dialog RIGHT click on any PDF and choose Properties. Do you see the PDF tab now?

Wow! Would you look at that!!.... I can see it now! But only in the Open dialog box of Acrobat Pro. Why?... why am I not seeing it in Explorer?

I have 64-bit Vista Ultimate.

Also, what implication does this have on Windows Search and it's ability to read this information when doing a PDF search?

• 7. Re: Why is the PDF tab missing?

This seems to be the deal: what adds extra tabs to the Properties dialog is called a Shell Extension DLL.

Acrobat includes a 32-bit Shell Extension DLL for this, and when you see a file explorer box in a 32-bit program, like Acrobat (but countless others too), it will be used.

But Windows Explorer is s a 64-bit program, and needs a 64-bit extension DLL.

According to discussions I've seen Adobe haven't made one of them. It is really a very little used feature, and unless people post in the feature request forum "I need a 64 bit version of the Shell Extension which shows a PDF tab in file properties in Windows Explorer, from right-click Properties" or some such (so they know whar you are talking about) it may not happen.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Why is the PDF tab missing?
                        Sameer G Level 1

Test Screen Name wrote:

This seems to be the deal: what adds extra tabs to the Properties dialog is called a Shell Extension DLL.

Acrobat includes a 32-bit Shell Extension DLL for this, and when you see a file explorer box in a 32-bit program, like Acrobat (but countless others too), it will be used.

But Windows Explorer is s a 64-bit program, and needs a 64-bit extension DLL.

According to discussions I've seen Adobe haven't made one of them. It is really a very little used feature, and unless people post in the feature request forum "I need a 64 bit version of the Shell Extension which shows a PDF tab in file properties in Windows Explorer, from right-click Properties" or some such (so they know whar you are talking about) it may not happen.

So it's basically Adobe Acrobat Pro's fault? I thought I had a 64-bit version of Acrobat Pro. But you're now saying that Acrobat Pro is a 32-bit only program? And it has a 32-bit only shell extension dll? Does this mean that Windows Search will not be able to index and read the PDF metadata as a result of this?

So this will work correctly on a 32-bit Windows Vista?

Can I start Explorer in 32-bit mode?...

• 9. Re: Why is the PDF tab missing?

Sometimes Windows needs both a 32-bit and a 64-bit version of something. That is provided in some cases - such as the Adobe PDF printer driver. And add-ons for Word.  There must be many of these little things, and not all seem to have been done. Of course, more might have been done in Acrobat XI, and more still, one day, in XII...

• 10. Re: Why is the PDF tab missing?
                            Sameer G Level 1

Test Screen Name wrote:

Sometimes Windows needs both a 32-bit and a 64-bit version of something. That is provided in some cases - such as the Adobe PDF printer driver. And add-ons for Word.  There must be many of these little things, and not all seem to have been done. Of course, more might have been done in Acrobat XI, and more still, one day, in XII...

I have posted a request for this feature. Let's hope and see that Adobe either offers a fully functional and full featured 64-bit version of Acrobat Pro, or that they provides a 64-bit version of this component (and also maybe some others), and keep Acrobat Pro as 32-bit only. On their support website, in the FAQ section, they state that Acrobat Pro is compatible with 64-bit Windows. Now I know that it's not the full truth. The best would be if they decide to go 64-bit full on! Just like they have done with Photoshop. I don't see what the problem is, why they haven't done so already.

Thank you very much for explaining this to me. At least I know the why part of it now.

• 11. Re: Why is the PDF tab missing?

I'm interested in why you would want a 64-bit version of the Acrobat Pro executable. What advantages do you see that having? Apart from needing to buy new (not yet existing) version of every third party plug-in...

• 12. Re: Why is the PDF tab missing?
                                Sameer G Level 1

No real reason... really... I just like running true 64-bit programs on a 64-bit OS with 64-bit CPU. That's the way it was supposed to be. If it allows the program to allocate more RAM than necessary for tha task... well... so be it. I don't mind... And if it requires an update of the program, or the plug-ins, why not?...

I can't imagine that you are using any old 16-bit or 8-bit programs on your computer?... in most cases, these programs have been either upgraded to the latest version for compatibility with the latest hardware and OS, or they have been abandoned and replaced by a different program.

• 13. Re: Why is the PDF tab missing?
                                  Sameer G Level 1

For future visitors:

To run a 32-bit instance of Windows Explorer use the following line from the Run prompt.

%systemroot%\syswow64\explorer.exe /separate

This will allow you to browse PDF files, view the PDF tab in file properties dialog and make edits.