11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2013 5:52 PM by A.T. Romano

Computer upgrade, Premiere 10 will not work

tkostinec@ducks.org

I upgraded my computer from a 32 bit windows to a 64 bit windows operating system. I used the correct CD to download the programs. On the new computer i cannot access my videos (external harddrive) that i previously worked with on my old computer. It gives me an error message that the codec is incorrect.

• 1. Re: Computer upgrade, Premiere 10 will not work
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the codec, and is the editing codec installed?

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037
          What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811
          What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037
          Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen

shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing
          http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30
          For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 2. Re: Computer upgrade, Premiere 10 will not work
            A.T. Romano Level 7

tkostinec

I would ask you this. For troubleshooting purposes, if you put your source media videos on the Local Disc C and open Premiere Elements 10, can you then import those videos into the new project with the program's Get Media/Files and Folders?

Is your external hard drive formatted NTFS or FAT32? Did this same external hard drive work in conjunction with your old computer?

What was the computer operation system change from and to. You say 32 to 64 bit, but are we talking about Windows XP or Vista vs 7 or 8?

Depending on your responses to the above, a properties readout for your video would be very useful. See route to MediaInfo for that purpose as mentioned by John T. Smith.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

• 3. Re: Computer upgrade, Premiere 10 will not work
              tkostinec@ducks.org Level 1

Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2013 2:13 PM

To: Terry Kostinec

Subject: Computer upgrade, Premiere 10 will not work

Re: Computer upgrade, Premiere 10 will not work

created by A.T. Romano <http://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <http://forums.adobe.com/message/5371286#5371286

• 4. Re: Computer upgrade, Premiere 10 will not work
                A.T. Romano Level 7

tkostinec

There seems to be a problem with the posting of your reply to my questions.

I am looking forward to your comments. So, please try to post again.

A just in case message...

To reply, please click the blue Reply with the arrow to its left for the post to which you want to reply. When you do, the reply field should appear into which you type your message. When you finish typing your reply, then hit Post.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Computer upgrade, Premiere 10 will not work

Thanks for your response

I would ask you this. For troubleshooting purposes, if you put your source media videos on the Local Disc C and open Premiere Elements 10, can you then import those videos into the new project with the program's Get Media/Files and Folders?

I am able to download new video files from my video camera and work with P10 program on the new computer, not able to work with my saved video files on the external drive.

Is your external hard drive formatted NTFS or FAT32? Did this same external hard drive work in conjunction with your old computer?

FAT 32, yes the external drive works with the old computer

What was the computer operation system change from and to. You say 32 to 64 bit, but are we talking about Windows XP or Vista vs 7 or 8?

Old and new computers are both 7 version, new is a faster processor

Depending on your responses to the above, a properties readout for your video would be very useful. See route to MediaInfo for that purpose as mentioned by John T. Smith.

I appears that this site is trying to download stuff I may not want on my computer, and charge yearly fees.

Looking forward to your follow up.

• 6. Re: Computer upgrade, Premiere 10 will not work
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

tkostinec

The first problem that I see is the external hard drive format. It should be NTFS not FAT32. Since you say that this external hard drive worked OK with the old, but not the new, you may be reluctant to consider this. But, it is a classical recommendation for the use of external hard drive in a Premiere Elements workflow. So, please consider with backup for when and if you do the conversion.

As for MediaInfo, a lot of us use it to find or confirm the video properties. I have seen no prior reports of the activity that you describe

I appears that this site is trying to download stuff I may not want on my computer, and charge yearly fees.

You wrote that you were able to download new video files from my video camera and work with Premiere Elements 10 on the new computer. In that case, where were the video files when you imported them into Premiere Elements 10...Get Media/Files and Folders/ from a save location on the Local DisK C or that external hard drive with the FAT32 format?

You say that this external hard drive worked with the old computer..what is the capacity of that drive and.what was the used space on that drive then (old computer) and now (new computer)?

If we need the properties of your source media, we can get that information from online information about your camera coupled with the details of your camera settings.

Please view and consider.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...What was your answer to the question about what happens if you move the videos saved to the external hard drive to the computer desktop and import them into Premiere Elements 10 from the computer desktop?

• 7. Re: Computer upgrade, Premiere 10 will not work

When i uploaded new video files from my camera (yesterday) directly into P10 on the new computer, i had no problems,

i then saved them on the external harddrive (FAT32).

I can now open P10 (on the new computer), and pull that file from the FAT 32 external drive, and it works fine with P10,,, BUT that is the only file i can pull from the external hard drive that will work???.

I tried saving a (i'll call old format) video file from external drive to the new C drive, then tried an import it into the P10,

that does not work, it gives me the same error message that i have been recieving: file type cannot be supported or required codec is not installed.

If i get a new external drive for my photos'videos in the NTFS format,

1) will those files transfer over form the old drive into a

2) usable file for P10 to upload them?

If you suggest saving my video/picture files to:Premiere Elements workflow, does that mean saving them online in a cloud??

I still have 277 GBs of free space on my FAT32 external drive.

• 8. Re: Computer upgrade, Premiere 10 will not work
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

tkostinec

So what we need to do is see the MediaInfo properties readout for the one that will import and the one that will not import.

Where are you getting these "buy me or pay me" type of come ons in the download and install of the free MediaInfo software? There is a free utility named gspot that you might try in its place if you know that MediaInfo has problems in security.

http://download.cnet.com/GSpot/3000-2248_4-10381198.html

The free gspot information should give you a lot of information, especially about video and audio compression and will give you a "Status" on whether those codecs are installed, undetermined, or not installed. You probably get more from MediaInfo, but the gspot information would be very helpful in ruling in or out certain factors.

Typically if you have an external hard drive formatted FAT32 you can convert that to NTFS. You should not have to buy another external hard drive with the specific NTFS format. But, back up the hard drive before conversion. Recommendation for all valuable assets wherever. There are numerous articles online on the how to. Check them out. Here is a sampling of one.

If you tell me that your problem file which was saved to external hard drive does not work any better when brought into Premiere Elements from the desktop instead, then that seems to put the spotlight back on the video properties.

By the way, have you said what the file size is for the videos in discussion..4 GB or less or more?

More later,

ATR

• 9. Re: Computer upgrade, Premiere 10 will not work
                          nealeh Level 5

tkostinec@ducks.org wrote:

See route to MediaInfo for that purpose as mentioned by John T. Smith.

You're probably clicking a sponsored link rather than the big 'Download MediaInfo' link. Here is the direct link to the completely free MediaInfo product:

http://mediaarea.net/download/binary/mediainfo-gui/0.7.63/MediaInfo_GUI_0.7.63_Windows.exe

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 10. Re: Computer upgrade, Premiere 10 will not work

I downloaded the Medial file,,, not sure what information you needed,, i can find some numbers on each file like: 1.39MiB, ect.

The good news, i worked with my company IT staff and did 2 things, downloaded Quicktime and converted the Fat32 driver to NTFS.

i can now work with my video clips and Adobe videos through P10 on my new computer.

Thanks for all your help

TK

• 11. Re: Computer upgrade, Premiere 10 will not work
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

tkostinec

We are so pleased for your success. Congratulations.

Thanks for following up on the troubleshooting and updating us with your results.

I cannot put enough greats in front of great news.

Continued success and thanks for the opportunity to help.

ATR