4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2013 10:03 AM by Todd_Kopriva

After Effects Rendering Problem (Please Help!)

AdobeBossBoy

Hello, I recently purchased adobe after effects CS6 for my Asus i7 laptop running windows 8 OS with a nvidia graphics card. I had just finished my after effects project and I went to render it out. I chose all my settings as H.264 and best settings. I click render and it starts off fast and rendering fine. About half way through the render it stops adruptly but does not signify any error message on the screen. The software shows that it is still trying to render but the render load bar does not move neither does the time lapse (time remaining).

If you have any idea what the problem may be or how to fix it please post a comment.

Thank You!

• 1. Re: After Effects Rendering Problem (Please Help!)
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should be using the Adobe Media Encoder to render h.264. There are maybe even hundredsd of posts on this.

We don't know anything about your project. H.264 can only be used for specific frame sizes. That could be a problem. We don't know anything about the effects being used. We don't know how long the project is? There are too many  unanswered questions to do anything but guess.

• 2. Re: After Effects Rendering Problem (Please Help!)
            Netcommercial Level 1

Rick is right about the Media Encoder. As well as you might want to turn off your firewall and AV when rendering. It will speed you up.

A laptop is usually pretty small, unless it is a MacBook Pro designed for traveling editors.

Whenever you are trying to get help with your specs or troubleshoot you really got to tell us ALL the specs. Ram, video card, screen shots of your errors, etc. There are some really sharp guys on here, if you give the right info most of the time you can get a straight helpful answer...

• 3. Re: After Effects Rendering Problem (Please Help!)
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

We need a lot more info about your project. Renders stopping halfway through has usually nothing to do with the output format, so for the time being let's ignore the theoretical hubub about H.264 . Instead tell us what source footages are involved, what effects, what specific animation. Could well be that at the point where it stops source footage is damaged or a specific, resource-dependent effect kicks in like an OpenGL based one (Optical Flares, Element, MB Looks or whatever) and this fails. Also tell us, whether you use MP rendering or not, as similalrly, some effects may just not be compatible with it.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: After Effects Rendering Problem (Please Help!)
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We need to know a lot more if we're going to help you. Please provide answers to the questions listed here: "FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?"

> Renders stopping halfway through has usually nothing to do with the output format, so for the time being let's ignore the theoretical hubub about H.264

If the format being used is H.264 in a QuickTime container, this can be a problem, since that codec does have problems with the use of many threads, and these problems often occur partway through processing. There is more information about this here.