32 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 11:00 AM by A.T. Romano

Scrubbing is not smooth

mikecox_ Level 1

I thought I'd posted this question sometime in the past; the question line autofilled, but I can't find in in "my stuff" and I don't remember it being answered in any difinative way.

I've been doing a lot of video edting latetly and when I scrubb through a track the image jerks and the scrubb action is not anywhere near as smooth as what I've seen in the video tutorials I've watched on Lynda.com.

My question is; is this a feature of the graphics card, the processor, RAM, or how I have Premiere configured.  With regard to the latter  point, in CS6 scrubbing behavies the same way.

I have

1. Win7/64bit,
      2. 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @2.33 2.32 GHz,
      3. 6GB of RAM, and an
      4. ATI Radeon HD 5450 video card.

I've been debating an investment a new computer; one designed for editing video.  But thats an expensive option and I'd rather upgade; if that will solve this problem.

• 1. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How smoothly your timeline plays or scrubs is a combination of:

• Your processor power and RAM load
          • Which version of the program you're using
          • What model of camcorder your video is coming from and its codec and resolution
          • How closely your project settings are aligned with your video specs

Your computer is more than adequate for any video editing. So the playback problems are most likely the result of your video specs not matching your project settings. What, if anything, can be done about this depends on what model of camcorder your video is coming from and what format and resolution it is as well as which version of the program you're working on.

• 2. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
            mikecox_ Level 1

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that I may not need a new computer to get smooth scrubbing.

I have been using Premiere Elements 11, with default settings, to edit my videos until today, when I tried the video editor in CS6; again with defalt settings.  I found the jittery scrubbing effect exactly the same in CS6.  So, the common feature would seem to be the computer and the video files I'm editing.  I'm assuming the default settings would be to maximise

My video files are .mov files; from my Canon 60D.

• 3. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For PrElements

Importing Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1065281

-and project settings http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1112086

For PrPro

See 2nd post for picture of NEW ITEM process http://forums.adobe.com/message/3776153

-and a FAQ on sequence setting http://forums.adobe.com/message/3804341

• 4. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth

I agree with John. You should be using Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Flip or Camera to get the video from your camera to your computer. Sometimes this allows Premiere Elements to import it into the program in a format that the program can work with.

Premiere Elements can work with MOV files. However, because there are so many types of MOV files out there and they don't include the indicators that the program needs to identify them, the program often can  not use its automatic set-up to correctly set the project settings. This is why you're likley seeing yellow lines above your video clips in Expert view, an indicator of mismatch between project settings and video.

Try this: change the suffix on one or more of your clips from .mov to .m2t, then make sure that this is the first clip you add to your timeline. If the program is able to identify the video's specs and set the program to them, you should be able to add the rest of the clips in Expert view and they should have NO yellow lines above them.

If this works, your program will then edit this video very smoothly.

• 5. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                  mikecox_ Level 1

Did I miss something? 

My issue, is not about importing clips or how to deal with the time constraints imposted by Youtube.

I am trying to smooth the scrubbing action of already imported images.

• 6. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your pc is somewhat underpowered for dslr footage which is H.264 in a mov wrapper.

• 7. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth

Also, we have been addressing your very issue.

If you want to improve the program's performance, you need to match your project settings to your video specs -- something that is not possible with your current workflow. (Have you checked in Expert view to see if there are yellow lines above your clips -- a sign that you are not matching your settings to your video?)

I guess it's up to you, but we're trying to help you troubleshoot this issue and fix it. Is this not what you're trying to do also?

• 8. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael,

I think you and I have been down this road elsewhere in depth from a computer, Premiere Elements, and source media point of view several months ago. Although your Timeline scrubbing issue seems to have remained the same, I do not know if your computer, source media, and project settings have changed from then until now.  But always good to revisit certain issues.

But I need to remind you that you have been searching for such an answer for a long time (since the days of your VOBs and Premiere Elements) and have been given much input here (under different IDs) as well as elsewhere.

The other day I was surprised and pleased to learn the good and bad news that you posted here about Premiere Elements 11 and Premiere Pro (presumed CS6) giving you the same level of unsatisfactory Timeline scrubbing. Specifically you wrote:

I have been using Premiere Elements 11, with default settings, to edit my videos until today, when I tried the video editor in CS6; again with defalt settings.  I found the jittery scrubbing effect exactly the same in CS6.  So, the common feature would seem to be the computer and the video files I'm editing.  I'm assuming the default settings would be to maximise

My video files are .mov files; from my Canon 60D.

So, I would agree with you that the focus is to "the computer and the video files I'm editing". I would also enter into the equation your project settings.

Last we interacted, you were thinking about buying a new computer and sought information at the Adobe Forums on that matter. Now you give your computer information as

1. Win7/64bit,
                        2. 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @2.33 2.32 GHz,
                        3. 6GB of RAM, and an
                        4. ATI Radeon HD 5450 video card.

Is that what you were using when we communicated a few months ago?

As for your Canon 6D footage, is that new to your workflow? How long have you been working with it? What is your Canon 6D camera video setting, and what are the properties of your Canon 6D source media?

What are you using as the project preset for your Premiere Elements 11 project? Are you letting the program take over and set it for you or are you setting the project preset manually yourself so that the setting agrees with the properties of your source media?

Is your computer optimized at the present time? Have you been keeping up with the computer maintenance...clearing pile ups of previews, conformed audio and video?

No one factor may be the answer, but a combination of factors may be negatively impacting your workflow.

Please review and consider.

ATR

Add On: I did not see the posts of Ann Bens & SG, until after I had submitted this post.

• 9. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                          mikecox_ Level 1

I have always used the Add Media option in Pr to import the MOV files from my HD; that I previously copied from my camera’s SD card.  I’m assuming that there is no problem with copying the MOV files from my camera’s SD card to my HD, then using the “Files and Folders” option an Add Media to add them as Media in Pr or CS6.

I keep going back to the fact that I have Added MOV formatted media to both Pr and CS6 and in both programs I have the same problem; when I scrub the video seems to turn into a slide show, one image at a time instead of a speeded up video which allows me to hone in on a point in the clip.  It makes editing very frustrating as well as slow and tedious; because I’m always waiting for the video to catch up.

Yes, in Pr, I do see a yellow line above my video clips, but it didn’t go away after I changed the file extension to .m2t, and scrubbing did not improve.

Btw I have your book: “Cool Tricks & Hot Tips…”.  I’m doing a time lapse sequence with the help of Tip 24; which doesn’t require scrubbing.

• 10. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                            mikecox_ Level 1

Hi A.T. Romano; aka ATR, yes; as you well know, I have been down this path before and I am only here now because I got the feeling that you were not happy with my effort to get a “second” angle on the problem; you appeared to break off, so I continued pursuing this issue here and, as you can see, it remains unresolved.

You don’t need to remind that I have been searching a long time for an answer to this problem, or that you and others have tried to help; for which I have always been grateful.  But the fact remains that I am still seeking a solution to this very frustrating problem; even if it means investing in a new computer; which it appears is not necessary. 

In frustration I left this issue for a while, but now I am engaged in a rather ambitious project that I am shooting exclusively with my Canon 60D.  When I saw the tutorial on editing Video in CS6 (sorry, it’s all Photoshop to me; I have never sorted out CS6, vs Photoshop, vs PrPro or any of the other names associated with Adobe’s editing software, so forgive me if I use them interchangeably)  I jumped at the chance to try scrubbing in that program; only to discover that it was the same in both programs.

Yes, I am still working with the same computer; so the information I provided in this thread is as it was.

Currently I am only using media from my Canon 60D and have not changed the default settings on the camera because I am not familiar with them.  I’ve checked the menu options on the cameral and here are some of the settings I found;

Rec size: 1920c1080/30.  Other options are 1920x1080/24, 1280x720/60, 640x489/60 and Crop 640/60

All the other options, which don’t seem relevant, have to do with Exp, AF mode, ISO speed, highlight tone priority, metering, and sound.

You asked about the project presets in Pr, but since the problem is common to both programs I would think it more of a file type issue than a program settings issue.  That said; here are my settings, from Preferences.

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1Udq0sv4vmz5QJwEjXcSpyxgAgUYT1http://

fyi it is nice talking with you gain.

• 11. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                              mikecox_ Level 1

Ann Bens wrote:

Your pc is somewhat underpowered for dslr footage which is H.264 in a mov wrapper.

That is what I am inclined to think, and have said as much, but no one else has agreed with me on that point; so I have concluded that it's not an issue.  I would be more that happy to invest in a new machine if it would resolve this problem that I have been trying to sort out for a very long time

• 12. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

The pixentral link does not seem to be working. If you get a chance, is it possible for you to post the screenshot in a Reply post here using the Insert Image icon at the top of the Reply field in which you write your message. I am interested in those project settings to rethink your issue from all angles.

Also what is the typical duration of one of these Canon 6D clips that are on your Premiere Elements 11 Timeline, with the scrubbing problems. And, if you take that same Timeline to export, what is the quality of the export (please indicate what kind and what size export).

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                                  mikecox_ Level 1

mikecox_ wrote:

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1Udq0sv4vmz5QJwEjXcSpyxgAgUY T1http://

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1Udq0sv4vmz5QJwEjXcSpyxgAgUYT1

This should work now; there was a http;// appended to the URL, apparently it does't get removed when you paste the URL into the Link option.

• 14. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth

So are you seeing a yellow line above your clip on the Expert view timeline?

• 15. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                                      mikecox_ Level 1

A.T. Romano wrote:

Also what is the typical duration of one of these Canon 6D clips that are on your Premiere Elements 11 Timeline, with the scrubbing problems. And, if you take that same Timeline to export, what is the quality of the export (please indicate what kind and what size export)

I'm not sure it's relevant but my Canon is the 60D, not the 6D.

Time clip I've been working with most recently is just over 3 min long.

I exported the 1GB clip in AVI format, which took about 3 min to save; to a file 699 MB in size.

1GB -> 700 MB? 

Here is a screenshot of the settings:

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=162u5baTbP5ZItBROvKxC86jAfMFD1

I then Added the AVI file to my time line and it scrubbs perfectly!

• 16. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

I just deleted my prior post in which I believed your video to be from the Canon 6D, not 60D.

I will rework the comments to the specifics of 60D.

Thanks for bringiing the Canon detail to my attention.

ATR

• 17. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                                          mikecox_ Level 1

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=10ojY2azkHXZqtdGVxRYYquLNBvu0

Why am I getting this when I try to edit this message?

• 18. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                                            mikecox_ Level 1

Note that while it scrubs normally the preview is much smaller.  Also the organg line is over the AVI clip, not the MOV clip.  It used to appear on the latter

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1zKv6lUjhGkWoobK1vxOPHJn6Fzzc1

I hope this edit posts this time.

• 19. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

Specific for the Canon 60D and your Premiere Elements 11 Windows.

a. With the project settings that you posted, when you drag your video to the Timeline as the first drag to the Timeline from Project Assets, do you have no colored line or any orange line over its contents on the Timeline?

b. If so, please check the following and let us know the readouts:

a. Right click the thumbnail in Project Assets and select Properties. I am particularly interested in frame rate among other things. Does it show 29.97 or 30 frames per second?

b. Right click the thumbnail in Project Assets and select Interpret Footage. I do not want you to change anything there; I just want to know what the read out is for Frame Rate and Pixel Aspect Ratio.

Thanks.

ATR

• 20. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                                                mikecox_ Level 1

Steve Grisetti wrote:

So are you seeing a yellow line above your clip on the Expert view timeline?

Check out the screen shots I posted to ATR. 

I seem to recall that yellow line over the MOV clips but not now.   It does appear over the AVI clip I added to the timeline, but as you will see; the AVI file scrubbs perfectly, but the preview is half the size.

• 21. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael,

I am guessing, but I get that type of Adobe message when I am typing or posting to a thread at the same time as another.

ATR

• 22. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

If you are referring SG and me to this screenshot

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1zKv6lUjhGkWoobK1vxOPHJn6Fzzc1

you do not have a colored line over the Timeline content of the .mov file. That would suggest that you or the program have set the correct project preset for the project and that you are now getting the best possible preview of that footage. Once you edit that .mov, it will go back to the orange/green rendering indicator process for each edit.

The orange line over the .avi indicates that you are not getting the best possible preview, however it is scrubbing. What happens to the scrubbing on the .avi after you render that content?

If you are working with 1080p30 whether or not you are getting that orange line at the first drag of that clip to the Timeline may be dependant on your choice of

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 versus DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97 when your actual frame rate is 29.97.

ATR

• 23. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                                                      mikecox_ Level 1
                                                      a. With the project settings that you posted, when you drag your video to the Timeline as the first drag to the Timeline from Project Assets, do you have no colored line or any orange line over its contents on the Timeline?

With no other clips, except the one just added and dragged to the timeline, there is no yellow line.

a. Right click the thumbnail in Project Assets and select Properties. I am particularly interested in frame rate among other things. Does it show 29.97 or 30 frames per second?

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1VjO89e07BYqYUsdPKrIRLDVBrwMgI1

Right click the thumbnail in Project Assets and select Interpret Footage. I do not want you to change anything there; I just want to know what the read out is for Frame Rate and Pixel Aspect Ratio.

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1mqRbAqZxodsF0WcyY5RMuZn0dlf01

• 24. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael,

Thanks.

Looking good. Please also refer to my comments in post #22. I suspect that we are not quite in sync with our postings.

I take too long to post. At this point, does the .avi run into a scrubbing problem after it is rendered?

ATR

• 25. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                                                          mikecox_ Level 1

If you are referring SG and me to this screenshot

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1zKv6lUjhGkWoobK1vxOPHJn6Fzz c1

I just posted it to you, and commented on it to SG; not sure how to refer a post to others

• 26. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

I have been just using quotes and/or indicating a referral to a specific post number.

If my response is to the same question and multiple people with the same question, I typically pick one and then mention the other in my same post reply. Not sure if that is the best way, but....

ATR

• 27. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                                                              mikecox_ Level 1

you do not have a colored line over the Timeline content of the .mov file. That would suggest that you or the program have set the correct project preset for the project and that you are now getting the best possible preview of that footage. Once you edit that .mov, it will go back to the orange/green rendering indicator process for each edit.

Ok, now I have an orange over the MOV clip; it wasn't there a moment ago.

The orange line over the .avi indicates that you are not getting the best possible preview, however it is scrubbing. What happens to the scrubbing on the .avi after you render that content?

It renered much faster but the preview is still smaller.

may be dependant on your choice of

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 versus DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97 when your actual frame rate is 29.97.

Ok, I'm not sure about how to change these settings at this point; with a clip in the timeline; can I do that or do I need to start fresh?

• 28. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                                                                mikecox_ Level 1

I have been just using quotes and/or indicating a referral to a specific post number.

I've just figured out the "quates" settup on this forum; which is different, and less intuitive than on the Elements forum!  I'm so glad because it makes responses more specic and so more clear.

mention the other in my same post reply.

Ok, that is what I will do.  I did mention my screen shots to you in a post to SG.

• 29. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

I am still finding myself around here too.

All sounding on course so far.

But, did you get to render that avi with the orange line over it and to decide whether or not the scrubbing for the .avi

deteriorated after the rendering process?

ATR

• 30. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

I have gotten my hands on a sample 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second video clip - AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264).mov - from a Canon 60D camera.

I used Premiere Elements 11 Add Media to get it into Premiere Elements 11 Project Assets from where I dragged the clip to the Timeline (as first drag there in this project).

There was no colored line over its contents, and Edit Menu/Project Settings confirmed that the program had automatically set the correct project preset for this project based on that video clip, that is, NTSC DSLR 1080p DSLR 1080p30 @ 29,97,

When I went to play back that Timeline video in the Edit Mode Monitor, the Timeline Indicator "hopped along" rather than glide smoothly across the video from left to right. Since there was no colored line nor a green line over that Timeline content, the clip could not be rendered.

Now this is what I did and what I would like you to try. We will consider the whys for why it is happening later.

a. right click the video (with the no colored line over it), select Time Stretch, and set the Speed at 99%, click OK to exit Time Stretch.

b. when you go back to the Timeline, you will see an orange line over the Timeline with all the implications that you are not getting the best possible preview, etc. Render the Timeline by pressing the Render button over the Timeline or going to Timeline Menu/Render Work Area. At the end of the rendering process you should now have a green line over that video content.

c. now press the play button of the Edit Mode Monitor to observe the play back of the video there as well as the smoothness of the Timeline Indicator as it now glides across the video clip from left to right.

Please review and let us know what happened when you did this.

As for why the "hopping" for Canon 60D video cited, I can only guess, wild guess at that. I do not see this Premiere Elements "hopping" when using the .mov files I have looked at from different Canon models or Panasonic camera (but I have not done an exhaustive search and study on this particular matter). Premiere Elements Properties and automatic project preset setting mechanism seem to be interpreting what I would call the essentials of its video properties, but still... There was one bit of information that I dug out of an online review that may go to the problem cause..again guess...was the statement  "for the 60D, there are 8 extra rows of pixels beyond the standard 1920 x 1080".

Just to focus in and make sure no information in falling through the cracks, you have seen this problem with just the Canon 60 D .mov files and not with .mov files from other sources or videos of another format. Correct or incorrect?

Thanks.

ATR

• 31. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                                                                      mikecox_ Level 1

Ok, finally; I'm back!

I followed your instrucion and it produced a great improvement   I can't tell yo how happy that makes me, or how much I appreciate the great effort you went to to find the solution; and who would have guessed!!

Just to focus in and make sure no information in falling through the cracks, you have seen this problem with just the Canon 60 D .mov files and not with .mov files from other sources or videos of another format. Correct or incorrect?

Only with the 60D.  My last camera was a Canon Powershot and I make a DVD with clips I took with it and I didn't have this problem, also; you may recall, that I copied some DVD video and I did't have that problem with them.  So I guess this problem in unique to the 60D.

Once again, it's nice to be talking with you again and thank-you so much for solving this mystery

• 32. Re: Scrubbing is not smooth
                                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

Typically when one of my suggestions works for another user, I write back congratulating them on their success.

I do that now. Great news, thanks for the stick-to-it-tiveness, and continued success.

But resolution for your Timeline scrubbing issue has more significance than most in view of the long history of trying to pin down the answer. Truly the answers are in the details. You will never know how pleased we all are with the outcome.

Best wishes

ATR