17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 5:11 AM by Steve Grisetti

Any way to split-screen with Permiere Elements?

RoysScreenName Level 1

I'm creating a brief (approx 4 min.) video with mixed animation and live action, some native audio, narrative V.O. throughout.

In at least one spot I'll need a split-screen, with one activity happening on the right, another activity on the left.

I can't green-screen or blue-screen this because both sets of animation/video will have a lot of greens and blues. Can't use chroma-key, it doesn't seem to work for me. (One guy who posted a How To Green Screen video on Youtube commented that his attempts at chroma-key ended up looking like the contents of a toilet after a night of heavy binge drinking. Pretty much what my chroma-key attempts looked like.)

Nothing in my Premiere Elements Classroom In A Book addresses split-screen, nor does the official Premiere Elements manual in PDF form.

There's a very sophisticated use of split-screen effect at

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jackcheng/these-days-a-novel?ref=category

The split begins about 1/3rd of the way into the video. This is something like the effect I want to achieve, except that one side will be an animation and the other a live action video clip.

I've considered recreating the animation (via Photoshop/ImageReady) so that the result is disproporionate ... that is, I would increase the horizontal plane 200% and the vertical plane 100%. Then I could use Premiere Elements' PIP convention, and skwunch the image to 50% horizontal and 100% vertical, thus restoring the correct proportions. This seems like a long way round the mountain, though.

Anyone have a direct way of creating a split-screen video? Or perhaps a better workaround than my stretch/skwunch technique?

Thanks,

Roy

• 1. Re: Any way to split-screen with Permiere Elements?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's basically just a Picture in Picture effect, except that both clips have been resized.

You can resize each clip by clicking on it in the Monitor and then making it smaller by dragging in on its corner handles. By dragging on the clip itself you can change its position in the video frame.

You can also manually change Scale and Position under the Motion properties in the clip's Applied Effects.

I show you a number of ways of doing split screens and pictures in pictures in my special effects book for Premiere Elements 11, if you're interested. You can see some demos and a sample chapter on this page.

http://muvipix.com/cooltricks11.php

• 2. Re: Any way to split-screen with Permiere Elements?
            RoysScreenName Level 1

Hello, Steve, and thank you . . .

Previously, Bill Hunt suggested that I buy your Muvipix book, as well as Classroom in a Book. Now I see why!

Based on a quick glance at your Muvipix website, I suspect that I might even be able to use your moving-line-on-a-map technique to creat an even more sophisticated split screen - one that changes its aspect.

I've already plotted a similar moving line for my video, but had planned on using a camera to get the effect- first a book, with the cover opening and a map unfolding from the book, then a line burning across the map (a sputtering spot of either a sparkler or gunpowder flashing on the top video channel),  Now I'll use your technique, but with the added effect of a burning line, the burnt-line map overlaying the clean map and the sputtering sparkler on the topmost channel.

One thing I don't understand, though: In your line-on-a-map trick you say that you make sure that the two images are 1,750 pixels, "standard definition video." In order for my resulting video to be viewed well on 24" widescreen monitors, Bill Hunt suggested that I create my animation panels at 1920 x 1080 pixels. Wot gives?

Also, I'll try to upload a couple of my animations to Youtube or to your website or whatever, to get your take on whether I'm better off using my Photoshop/ImageReady animations, or using stills that are enhanced with Premiere Elements. (The animations are tedious to create, one frame at a time, but they give me absolute control over the final effect, whereas I've flubbed in my attempts to manipulate stills into animations with PE.)

Can't go on ... have to go get my credit card so I can buy Cool Tricks.

Again, thanks, babe . . .

Roy

• 3. Re: Any way to split-screen with Permiere Elements?

Thanks for your interest in the book, Roy! It should answer all of your questions!

• 4. Re: Any way to split-screen with Permiere Elements?
                RoysScreenName Level 1

The answer wasn't completely helpful, Steve. My life-long overarching question is, "What is the meaning of life?"

Also, "What's the best way to get from Boulder Highway and Horizon Drive to Tropicana at Paridise Road?"

And others . . .

Ermmm . . . the book's gonna answer these?????

rh

• 5. Re: Any way to split-screen with Permiere Elements?

Well, according to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe, the answer to life, the universe and everything is...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Answer_to_The_Ultimate_Question_of_Life,_the_Universe,_and_Ev erything#Answer_to_the_Ultimate_Question_of_Life.2C_the_Universe.2C_and_Everything_.2842.2 9

I've also got a recipe for an awesome bolognese sauce on my web site, if you're interested.

• 6. Re: Any way to split-screen with Permiere Elements?
                    RoysScreenName Level 1

As I recall, the answer was "42." There's no differentiation, however, as to whether the numerals were decimal, octal, or hex, and "42" therefore remains obscure. (Unless you know whether this was in hex or what.)

Also, my own recipes for pasta primavera and sauce haute-Provence can beat up your recipe for bolognese.

r

PS: There are exactly 10 kinds of people in the world ... those who know binary and those who don't.

• 7. Re: Any way to split-screen with Permiere Elements?
                      RoysScreenName Level 1

Also, your sauce bolognese doesn't know the shortcut from Boulder and Horizon to Trop and Paradise Rd.

r

• 8. Re: Any way to split-screen with Permiere Elements?

"There are exactly 10 kinds of people in the world ... those who know binary and those who don't."

I love this joke!

• 9. Re: Any way to split-screen with Permiere Elements?
                          RoysScreenName Level 1

Had you heard the joke before?

I joined the Valley Computer Club (Burbank/San Fernando Valley) in 1978 to learn how to build and program computers (S-100 Buss, CP/M systems). "10 kinds of people" was one of the first things I learned.

The first thing I learned was, "If it works ... it's obsolete." I think that still holds true.

Also, don't know if you recall the floating-point error in the original Pentium chips. The gag at that time was:

Intel jumped from 286 to 386 to 486. So why did they call the new chip "Pentium" instead of "586?"

Every time they added 100 to 486 in the new chip, they got "585.9999999999999999."

Recently, the best I've heard is

Microsoft's Beta Testing Program: "Shrink-wrap 10-million copyies. Ship. Wait for angry phone calls."

rh

• 10. Re: Any way to split-screen with Permiere Elements?
                            whsprague Level 4

RoysScreenName wrote:

Recently, the best I've heard is

Microsoft's Beta Testing Program: "Shrink-wrap 10-million copyies. Ship. Wait for angry phone calls."

rh

It is not a joke!

I bought the most expensive computer of my life (for speedy use of Elements 11) a month before Windows 8 was shoved down the pipeline. 

My education and career revolved around "marketing".  The true definition, or at least the one I like, is that "marketing" is figuring out what your customers want and producing it.  Windows 8 seems to be a good example of the opposite.  Microsoft (arrogantly?) made up their version of a dream product, shrink wrapped 10 million copies and seems to still be getting flak.  Even the previews of 8.1 are disappointing.   

• 11. Re: Any way to split-screen with Permiere Elements?
                              RoysScreenName Level 1

Marketing?

I was a copywriter, designer, creative director, botique-ad-agency owner (not all at once at every agency) at Needham in Chicago ... DJMC and MacManus in Los Angeles, and Reed Miller Vinson in San Diego, among other shops in L.A. and Newport Beach.

Have recently become alergic to the term "marketing." On Craigs List, the want ads for "marketing" are recruitments for boiler-room outcall phone operators. "Mr. Zorch? My name is Harold/Maude. I'm calling in behalf of Wonderful Roofing. We're doing some work in your neighborhood, and we would like to give you a free, no obligation roof inspection."

Marketing!

I'm going to guess that you worked in some other marketing capacity, Steve.

Also, I suspect that Microsoft has always had this as a beta-testing standard. If you recall your history, so-called "MS-DOS" was a plagiarized version of Gary Kildall's CP/M that some jerk in Seattle had written. Gates (then in Phoenix, I believe) bought it and called it MS-DOS. The original that he bought was so skunky that it didn't have 1/2 the useability of CP/M, and it took Gates and his pals about 2 years to add the missing components and bring the damned thing up to speed.

rh

• 12. Re: Any way to split-screen with Permiere Elements?
                                RoysScreenName Level 1

Ooooops! Sorry, Sprague. Thought you were Steve Grisetti.

Roy

• 13. Re: Any way to split-screen with Permiere Elements?
                                  whsprague Level 4

I used to watch Kildall every Saturday on PBS!

I bought a dot matrix printer and Osborne CP/M computer from Seattle Computing before there were PCs and Macs.  It was a small store run by the guy where Gates "bought" the makings of MS-DOS. 

Part of the Kildall story was that he was a "no show" at a meeting called by some unknown, secretive IBM geeks from Baca Raton, FL.  I think I remember they were going to play golf.  The IBM geeks had been given clearance to build "small computers" with off the shelf components from outside vendors.  Looking for an operating system, they called Kildall.  Since he didn't show up, they called Gates, because he had some limited fame with "Basic" in some early computing magazines.  Since he didn't have anything that the IBM geeks wanted, he "bought" it from Seattle computing.

Do you remember how Grace Hopper used the word "bug" the first time it was applied to computers?  She was one of the first women to make Admiral in the Navy.  She was incharge of an early computer center with a vacume tube computer.  One day it quit.  She found a dead moth that was causing a short, so entered something to the effect of "Found a bug in the computer" in the watch log.

Regarding "marketing", you are right in how the word was hijacked to avoid the uses of the word "sales".  My truth is that I studied "Marketing" and got an MBA, but I worked as a salesman to get paid.  My chosen area was small, personal airplanes.  My "syle" was to apply marketing methods to sales.  With proper advertising by my employers, my phone would ring and connect me to people with interest.  My job was to provide the information they needed so they could make their decision.  Frequently I had to buy lunch and give them a ride.  If I worked hard at my job, every ten lunchs and rides would turn into a sale.  I never was agressive.  In fact, I talked a few people out of buying my product if I knew they would be unhappy with it.  I used to call it "ethical sales". 

Bill

• 14. Re: Any way to split-screen with Permiere Elements?
                                    RoysScreenName Level 1

Hey, Willum . . .

Something else about Gill Bates . . .

One of the clinchers for PC-DOS, if not the clincher, was the fact that his mother was on the board of directors for the Red Cross. She and Tom Watson were flying back together in first class from a Red Cross board meeting when she told Tom that her wonderful son had a wonderful software company that was eager to provide wonderful programs to IBM. I didn't get that from computer gossip columns but from the actual obituary of Mary Maxwell Gates.

It was said of Gates that, when he was a teenager, that he was an aggressive and unscrupulous touch football player. Winning was all that counted, the word "ethics" never came up.

The stories about the whys and wherefores of Digital Research's fumbling the IBM deal are broad and varied. I get a feeling that the Wiki on Gary has been sanitized by the A**-holes at Microsoft. The real story probably will never be told.

As far as Gates's Wiki, what a crock. He's referred to as an "inventor." From my perspective, Microsoft's major products were all plagerized or purchasaed. Basic was via Dartmouth's Kemeny and Kuntz (and revised and improved, as I understand it, by then-Captain Hopper at Navy) and the grabs and buys simply multiplied as Microsoft got bigger and bigger.

So, wotcha sell? Cessnas? My major client, when I had my own little boutique ad shop, was Trans Sierra Airlines, the only scheduled commercial airline from L.A. to Bishop to Mammoth Lakes to San Jose and back. Basically a milk run taking skiers to Mammoth Mountain. They had two planes, a Piper Aztec and a Cessna 402-A. The Cessna was my favorite - lovely to fly in, beautiful to look at.

In computing, I go back one step beyond you, though I'm guessing that you - like me and like Bill Hunt here at the Premiere Elements forum - are a Very Old Guy. I built my first computer in '78; S-100 Buss running CP/M. The printer was a Diablo 1620 daisywheel (hated dot-matrix). The printer alone cost somewhere around $2,000, plus another couple hundred for a unidirectional forms tractor. Later I bought 7 or so (if memory serves) Diablo 1620s, complete with bi-directional forms printers, for $15 each at a Lockheed surplus sale. Lockheed had used these as computer terminals in their manufacturing areas. My floppy was a Micropolis, a 360-K single-sided 5-1/4" drive. We would use a paper punch to clip another chip out of the other side of the floppyies' plastic envelopes to convert them into double-sided diskettes.

rh

• 15. Re: Any way to split-screen with Permiere Elements?
                                      whsprague Level 4

RoysScreenName wrote:

So, wotcha sell? Cessnas?

In computing, ..... The printer was a Diablo 1620 daisywheel (hated dot-matrix).

My floppy was a Micropolis, a 360-K single-sided 5-1/4" drive. We would use a paper punch to clip another chip out of the other side of the floppyies' plastic envelopes to convert them into double-sided diskettes.

Mostly Cessnas.  All single engine.  But also a 300 hp, all plastic, aerobatic homebuilt called a Glasair.

My favorite printer was a "Bytewriter" that was actually a typewroter with a printer port installed.

I used to paper punch floppies for my Osborne too!

• 16. Re: Any way to split-screen with Permiere Elements?
                                        RoysScreenName Level 1

Received Cool Tricks earlier today. Have already used a couple of bits from it to improve my own work. Posted a review of the book at Amazon - you might want to check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Tricks-Adobe-Premiere-Elements-step/dp/1482666375/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_t_ 1_JJJ2

Still, I'll bet my pasta primavera can beat up your sauce bolognese.

rh

• 17. Re: Any way to split-screen with Permiere Elements?

Wow! Thanks for the terrific review, Roy!

Looking forward to our pasta cook-off next time you're in the Milwaukee/Chicago area.