4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 9:52 AM by Leunammeod

Version sets are gone....!!

Leunammeod Level 1

Hi there!

My computer just crashed last week - apparently got a nasty virus infection that went through the firewall. Consequently I had to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the whole system (Windows 7). Of course I had a back-up of all my pictures so this is not a problem. The pain is that I have to reinstall all the softwares...! Today I reinstalled Photoshop Element 8 from the installation CD I have and directly after I imported all pictures again in the organizer. Everything went fine though of course it took some time as I have many pictures. The problem now is that all my Version Sets that I had have disappeared!! Pictures belonging to the same Version Set are there but they are not included in a Version Set anymore. I use to have Version Sets for different formats of the same pictures, for instance jpg, PSD and NEF, as it is very helpful. This is very annoying as I had plenty of these Version Sets and they were helping me big time in my work flow.

Do you know if there is a way to get them back? I would me the most thankful if you could help me on that one!

All the very best

• 1. Re: Version sets are gone....!!
          MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Version sets, stacks, albums and other features are stored in the catalog itself, not in the picture files themselves.

Two kinds of backups :

- the integrated backup/restore process inside the organizer : this saves both the catalog and the pictures. After a restore from the organizer, everything should be restored, including version sets.

- an other kind of backup (may be simply a copy from the explorer). If you have simply a copy of your pictures, you can't restore the data in the catalog. If you have set your backup procedure to save also the catalog (see the help menu / system info for its location), you can restore everything.

It's important to note that you might have used the option to write metadata to files : that procedures writes tags, ratings, captions etc. to the picture files themselves. By reimporting your restored picture in a new catalog, you can recover the above data, but not the version sets, albums...

• 2. Re: Version sets are gone....!!
            Leunammeod Level 1

Dear Michel,

Thanks a lot indeed for your answer. I’m afraid I have not saved any of my former catalogs. As you mentioned, for my backup, I just saved the picture files themselves (including exif information) via Windows explorer. I thought that Version sets were included in the exif information. I was not aware of the importance of the catalogs! I have to say that I’m still a beginner in the area though and still got a lot to learn…

I guess that I’ll have to recreate manually my version sets. Is there a smooth and “less” painful way to do it in Element 8?

Regarding your comments, I have few questions (for my own understanding):

The integrated backup/restore you’re mentioning is the one included in the file menu of the organizer (Ctrl+B) isn’t it? Actually all my hard drives are pretty full but I do recall (I may be wrong) that Adobe was offering (free of charge or not?) the possibility of having an online backup. Is this backup compatible with the integrated backup/restore process or does it work differently? For instance does it allow me to backup catalogs too?

I looked for the catalog as you told me (help menu/System info) and it seems to be a folder containing several files. If I want to make a backup of my catalog manually (via Windows explorer) do I have to save the whole folder or just the PS8DB file included there? How do I restore catalogs if I choose this option?

Is the metadata you're talking about equivalent to the XMP sidecar file?

I’m aware it’s a lot of questions but as I said, I’m pretty new in the business and I’d rather spend some time to learn now the right way to proceed, not to make the same mistake again!

All the best!

• 3. Re: Version sets are gone....!!
              MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Leunammeod wrote:

I guess that I’ll have to recreate manually my version sets. Is there a smooth and “less” painful way to do it in Element 8?

.You can't recreate version sets, they are only created when you save an edited file ; but you can create stacks, either manually, or by using the help of the  'automatically suggest photo stacks' feature based on visual similarity.

The integrated backup/restore you’re mentioning is the one included in the file menu of the organizer (Ctrl+B) isn’t it?

Yes.

Actually all my hard drives are pretty full but I do recall (I may be wrong) that Adobe was offering (free of charge or not?) the possibility of having an online backup. Is this backup compatible with the integrated backup/restore process or does it work differently? For instance does it allow me to backup catalogs too?

Adobe did offer the photoshop.com service (not for european users...) for such online backup, but this is being replaced by Revel. I don't use those, so I'll let more competent users comment about this possibility. Online backup for big catalogs of images seems to me problematic due do transfer speed.

I looked for the catalog as you told me (help menu/System info) and it seems to be a folder containing several files. If I want to make a backup of my catalog manually (via Windows explorer) do I have to save the whole folder or just the PS8DB file included there? How do I restore catalogs if I choose this option?

Yes, it's quick and easy to copy the catalog folder manually, or you can include that folder in your external backup software scheme. If you restore both the catalog and the image files in the original location, no problem. You can even move or restore the catalog folder manually : if you double click the file catalog.tly in that folder, that will work as well. The content of the catalog (a 'list' to simplify) is always valid even if the catalog is moved. The advantage of the integrated backup is that it can update the contents of the catalog even if the original file tree is restored on another drive or master folder. Suppose you want to restore all your files to a new drive : the catalog copy would hold the old picture files location and would show all of them missing. You'd have to use a 'reconnect' function to update the catalog (never easy !).

Is the metadata you're talking about equivalent to the XMP sidecar file?

Yes, the xmp sidecar file system is used to store that same information for file formats which do not support writing that info in the metadata section of the file itself : especially for raw files, whereas jpegs can hold that information.

• 4. Re: Version sets are gone....!!
                Leunammeod Level 1

You can't recreate version sets, they are only created when you save an edited file ; but you can create stacks, either manually, or by using the help of the  'automatically suggest photo stacks' feature based on visual similarity.

I’m used to include in all my version sets when saving edited files, the original raw file along with the jpeg and PSD edited files. If now I create stacks in the same way (raw+jpeg+PSD) there should not be any difference when it comes to functionality of the resulting stacks comapring with my old version sets, right?

Yes, it's quick and easy to copy the catalog folder manually, or you can include that folder in your external backup software scheme. If you restore both the catalog and the image files in the original location, no problem. You can even move or restore the catalog folder manually : if you double click the file catalog.tly in that folder, that will work as well. The content of the catalog (a 'list' to simplify) is always valid even if the catalog is moved. The advantage of the integrated backup is that it can update the contents of the catalog even if the original file tree is restored on another drive or master folder. Suppose you want to restore all your files to a new drive : the catalog copy would hold the old picture files location and would show all of them missing. You'd have to use a 'reconnect' function to update the catalog (never easy !).

If I understand you right you mean that if I have a backup of the catalog folder and a backup of the image files, to restore everything manually in the reformatted computer:

-I’ll first put the catalog folder back at its original location

-Put the pictures files back at their original location (say the C: drive, My pictures)

-open the organizer and select the catalog

-Re-import my picture files (from C:My pictures) in the organizer (or perhaps importation occurs automatically?).

And the trick should do to recover everything including my version sets and stacks?

Actually I discovered that I have a backup of my old catalog (before my computer crashed) but now I did restore my picture files in another drive now. if I understand you correctly, this means that if I use this catalog backup and install it at its original location (as described above), as it holds the old location of the picture files and since now I have all picture files in another drive, pictures will be showed missing. I’ll have therefore to “reconnect them”! Correct?

If I had used the integrated backup from the organizer I would have been able to use my old catalog even if my picture files are located in another drive now?

I guess that when restoring with the Integrated/Restore backup function inside the organizer, at a point one is prompt to choose where (which drive) the pictures files are to be restored. Will in this case the catalog recognize the new location of the picture files?

Thanks again for your enlightenments, I’m learning a lot!