2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2006 11:12 AM by mark.y

Associate PNG with Fireworks instead of ImageReady?

mark.y
      No matter what I do in Windows XP's "File Options" dialog I cannot cause PNG files to be associated with Fireworks. Fireworks does not show up in the list of programs that can open *.PNG. If I manually browse and point to Fireworks.exe as the program to open PNG then PNG is associated with ImageReady (I have PhotoShop too). This is very frustrating - I prefer to open files via Windows Explorer rather than within applications. Thanks for tips you can share.
      Regards,
      Mark
        • 1. Re: Associate PNG with Fireworks instead of ImageReady?
          Level 7
          mark.y wrote:
          > No matter what I do in Windows XP's "File Options" dialog I cannot cause PNG
          > files to be associated with Fireworks. Fireworks does not show up in the list
          > of programs that can open *.PNG. If I manually browse and point to
          > Fireworks.exe as the program to open PNG then PNG is associated with ImageReady
          > (I have PhotoShop too). This is very frustrating - I prefer to open files via
          > Windows Explorer rather than within applications. Thanks for tips you can share.
          > Regards,
          > Mark
          >

Mark,
          In Folder Options, instead of using the 'Change' button, use the
          'Advanced' button. There you can change the Edit, Open and Preview
          options. Browsing to Fireworks.exe from there should work.

SKB
          • 2. Re: Associate PNG with Fireworks instead of ImageReady?
            mark.y Level 1
            Thanks SKB. I didn't initially have an "Advanced" button, just "Restore". I clicked Restore, the screen flashed (I have no idea what happened!) and then it was replaced by the Advanced button and I could make Fireworks.exe stick as the associated editor. Much happier now!
            Cheers,
            Mark