9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2013 11:15 PM by Steven L. Gotz

Multiple Sequences With Music Video

charmingnerd

I am working on a music video. Obviously the song is a fixed duration. Let's say I want to work on a nested sequense, but I still want to edit to the music withing that sequencse. I can't drag in the whole audio track because then when I put the squence into the Master sequense it would play back the audio twice and be as long as the song. I guess I could cut the audio to just the portion I want to work with, but that could change as well.

Not sure if what I want is possible, but I thought I would ask for ideas.

• 1. Re: Multiple Sequences With Music Video
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

This is a common problem easily solved, but you have to remember to do something before you leave the nested sequence.

I often work on titles over a background, then I want to put an adjustment layer over the titles but not the background. So I nest the color corrected sequence. But since I needed to see the background, I had a copy in the nested sequence. I can't have it both places. So I poke out the eyeball before I leave the sequence and go back to editing the main sequence.

The same thing applies to audio. Have your copy of the audio track in the nested sequence, just remember to mute the audio before you leave the sequence. And be careful not to overwrite the main sequence's audio.

Yes you have to trim the audio or the duration of the nested sequence will change. But then again, if it is in between two other clips it is not going to expand on you. No harm no foul.

Besides, when you are all done you can easily go back and delete the audio in the nested sequence since you won't need it anymore.

• 2. Re: Multiple Sequences With Music Video
            charmingnerd Level 1

I am not sure I completely follow you. Your last sentenence confused me. Let's say I put the full audio track inside the nested sequence and then mute it. The sequence is still going to be the full length of the song but I only want a portion of it. I am assuming I just need to trim it down by hand when I am done.

• 3. Re: Multiple Sequences With Music Video
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

You can trim it down by hand. However, the question is, will it be necessary?

If you already have multiple nested sequences brought into a main sequence to combine them all, and you go back into one of the original sequences to further edit it, the duration of the sound track becomes irrelevant. The sequence is stuck between two others and will not automatically expand.

Sometime people actually want the entire sequence duration for every single nested sequence. It makes them very easy to line up later. 

Sorry if that is confusing. You might be happiest just trimming the audio to match your video duration anyway.

• 4. Re: Multiple Sequences With Music Video
                charmingnerd Level 1

I am still confused by some of your statements. For example, "The sequence is stuck between two others and will not automatically expand."

Let's say I have a sequence that is 7 minutes long because that is the length of the song. In that sequence I have a 1 minute edit right in the middle of it. That 2 minutes on either side of the edit with nothing in it. If I then bring that sequence into my Primary sequenece, it is still going to take up 7 minutes of space.

I think there might be some implied details in your statements that I am not getting.

• 5. Re: Multiple Sequences With Music Video
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I will produce a quick tutorial to explain what I mean.

I will be back later....

• 6. Re: Multiple Sequences With Music Video
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

OK, here is what I was trying to say. By the way, I realized after I said "31 frames" that I was using 60p footage. I hadn't given it any thought until then.

Hopefully this either convinced you to do it your way, or you learned something, or both.

• 7. Re: Multiple Sequences With Music Video
                      Netcommercial Level 1

pictures are worth a thousand words...I read your post and was kinda confused about the elaboration of the excess footage of the nested comp. After watching the tutorial it makes complete sense.

• 8. Re: Multiple Sequences With Music Video
                        charmingnerd Level 1

Thanks for posting that. I get what you are saying now. I was confused because I was thinking of creating a nested sequence the opposite way as you did. See, I am thinking of just creating a sequence and then dropping it into my primary sequence afterwards which would cause it to be really long. I thnk either method is going to result in some sort of trimming to accomidate growth. I think the best way is to probably just edit a sequence and then take note of exactly where it starts on the timeline and paste it in that exact same location on the Primary.

• 9. Re: Multiple Sequences With Music Video
                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

OK, not to confuse the issue, but just to add a little something that might make it easier.

Lets say I have a simple three minute song with three different scenes. I want each scene in its own sequence. OK? And just to make the math easy, each sequence is exactly one minute in duration. And the music is exactly three minutes in duration.

If I put the music track down and then place the first clip where it goes at the beginning, I could then create a new sequence and place the next video starting at the one minute mark of the music track. Then one more new sequence with the third clip starting at two minutes, and I have three identically long sequences.

I could create a new sequence and just pile the three sequence on the new one.

Like this. You see the first sequence, the second sequence and the third sequence. Then you see the main sequence. Note that the audio of the original clip is muted in each sequence, and in the main sequence, only the first audio track is heard, the other two are muted. See how easy it is to line up the three sequences. They are all the right duration and neatly line up.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG