0 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2013 7:12 PM by truth3

Getting symbol from comp using edge commons

Hey everyone!

I ran into a small problem when working on a recent project and I haven't come across any fixes. So I thought to bring it up here to the forum and see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

To my understanding there are 2 ways to call a symbol from another symbol, either by going to the main composition and working your way down to the desired symbol like so...

1)   sym.getComposition().getStage().getSymbol("firstsymbol").getSymbol("secondsymbol");

Or if you are already at a symbol and you are trying to call a symbol under it you can

2) sym.getSymbol("firstsymbol").getSymbol("secondsymbol");

Ok for the project I am working on I am in need of using the first one, where you go to the compositon and work your way down to the desired symbol. However in my project I have been using Simon's edge commons library and specifically the adaptive layouts feature... http://www.edgedocks.com/edgecommons#anchor_edgecommons_18

Using this feature I don't actually have any symbols on the stage, because it is all loaded in dynamically through the edge commons library into an element called "adaptiveContainer". So how would I be able to go about calling a symbol from the top of my compositon when I don't have anyway to work down the chain so to speak to reach my targeted symbol?

Has anyone else ever came across this problem? Thank you so much for any advise!