10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2013 6:40 AM by A.T. Romano

Rolling Text

granolakid Level 1

I use Adobe Premiere Elements 11 on a Mac. I wanted to type a poem using the default roll and place over a photo that stays in place.  I know that I will have to slow the speed down and I will have to experiment with that.  I have a couple of questions.  When I tried typing whether it was on the picture or on the black ground of the roll I ended up having the type overlap and it repeated itself when I played it.  In preview it looked okay.  I realized it might have occurred because I didn’t hit the return key twice.  Does this mean that I cannot single space?  My other problems came when I wanted to change the font, color, and size. I also wanted to change a line from left justification to center.  Even though the cursor was only placed at the line I wanted to move all the lines moved.

I used the Adobe Classroom in a Book and looked online, but to no avail I would appreciate any suggestions to help me solve this problem.  Thanks. barb

• 1. Re: Rolling Text
          A.T. Romano Level 7

granolakid

Please give a look at slowing the speed of the rolling credit by dragging the length of the clip out to increase the clip duration.

I am not sure what happened with your text so that you would ask the question "Does this mean that I cannot single space?" You should be able to so I think that I need some more details to answer that one. I did not see a problem changing a single line of text from a color than others, from one font size to another, or one font to another. I did have problem with text alignment...I did not get selective line align.

I know the trick for applying animation to more than one line of text (someone reported on that a long time ago), but I need to think about selectively aligning one text line. It does not seem possible, but....

I will check all this out in the light of day.

ATR

• 2. Re: Rolling Text
            granolakid Level 1

The reason I asked about single spacing is because it tells you on a Mac to hit the return key twice.

I did have problem with text alignment...I did not get selective line align.

I typed the poem left justified.  But I wanted to center the author's name which is the last line.  When I put the cursor at the beginning of the line or highlight and change the setting to center, the whole poem comes along.  This is happening whether I type on a picture or type just on the default rolling black background. 

I keep wondering if some of my problems are because I have a Mac.  Although the software is for Macs.

One other question for now:

After typing using the default roll on a photo, when I try to move the image to another part of the timeline, the type doesn’t come along.  All I see is the image when I play it.  How do I merge the text and the image so I don’t lose the text?

Thanks so much for your help.  I very much appreciate this.  Otherwise I don't know what I would do.

barb

• 3. Re: Rolling Text
              A.T. Romano Level 7

granolakid

Thanks for the reply.

I am strictly an Elements Windows person, but let us see if we can figure this out even though you are using a Mac.

1. If you have established your Title (rolling text) over a photo and you want to move title file and photo, then hold down the Shift (not sure what it is designated on Mac) and click on the title and photo to select both at the same time. Then go to the Clip Menu/Group. Another way to select both at the same time is to draw a rectangle around the title and photo. Then do the Clip Menu/Group.

2. Is your text "wrapped", in other words, is the text automatically going to the next line? I am not finding any problem related to singe vs double spaced line in create the rolling credit in Premiere Elements. Please refer to Text Menu/Wrap Text for the automatic move from one line to another.

3. Could you elaborate on the message

The reason I asked about single spacing is because it tells you on a Mac to hit the return key twice.

Please review and left us know if any of the thoughts helped.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Rolling Text
                granolakid Level 1

Hello A. T.

Qualification to your number 1.  I would like to roll the text over the photo leaving the photo in place while the text rolls until it is off the screen then fade out the text.

In the Classroom in a Book, the instructions on page 220 read:

Type All footage courtesy of NASA: and press Enter (Windows) or Return (Mac OS) twice.

I had not used the Text Menu/Wrap Text but I understand the concept since I use it in Excel.

I tried going back in again to try centering one line of text but was unsuccessful. All the text centered.  I don't understand why this was a problem since I was able to change the color, and font of one line. 

Thanks again.

barb

• 5. Re: Rolling Text
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

granolakid

Just a question about what you say that you would like to do:

Qualification to your number 1.  I would like to roll the text over the photo leaving the photo in place while the text rolls until it is off the screen then fade out the text.

If you are using start off screen, end off screen, why do you need to fade out the text at the end?

Do you really want to synchronic the "end off screen" with the end of the photo? So, maybe you mean "....the fade out the photo?

Could you clarify or verify?

Also, is a momentary 1 second pause of the text midway in its path any part of this or the coming plans?

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Rolling Text
                    granolakid Level 1

Qualification to your number 1.  ... want to fade out the photo not the text.  (Sorry I had a typo).

I mean to fade the photo out after leaving it on the screen for a few seconds after the text has rolled off the screen. 

I want the text to move smoothly but slowly giving people a chance to read the poem. 

Thanks again.

barb

• 7. Re: Rolling Text
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

granolakid

It is about 12:30 am where I am, I think it best if I post my details on your question in the light of day. I should have everything ready to post before noontime.

Coming soon.

ATR

• 8. Re: Rolling Text
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

granolakid

Let us give the following a try, and then please let us know if this is what you seek and if it works for you.

1. Over your photo on Video 1, create your rolling title (Video 2) that starts off screen and ends off screen.

2. Right click the photo on Video 1 and select Fade, Fade Out Video. Toward the end of the photo, you should see a white dot (keyframe) on the vertical orange line that runs across the photo on the Timeline.

3. Move the Timeline Indicator until you get to the spot where the text is just about to exit the top of the Edit Mode Montior screen. Click and drag the white dot to that location.

4. Render the Timeline to see what effect you have gotten. You can click and drag that dot as indicated for the fade out.

5. If you want to slow the roll, you can try clicking and dragging the end of the clip to extend its length and adjust that dot's location accordingly.

Note:

If you do not see the dot, please right click the photo and select Show Clip Keyframes/Opacity.

That dot represents a keyframe that was set by the Fade Out shortcut for the Opacity of the Clip. Keyframes are used to apply a property (in this case Opacity) to vary rather than the property being applied to the whole clip. For that matter, you could have used keyframing to create the rolling credits from default text (including the start off screen and end off screen) keyframing the property of Position.

ATR

• 9. Re: Rolling Text
                          granolakid Level 1

Hello A. T.,

I will let you know what happens.  I have been sick for the past few days.

barb

• 10. Re: Rolling Text
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

granolakid

Hope that you are feeling better. Thanks for the follow up.

We will be watching for your project results when you get a chance.

Thanks.

ATR