4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2013 5:47 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Gradient Stroke Layer Style

BrianHolzknecht

Am I confused or is there no option for gradient for a stroke using After Effects layer styles.  I know if you import a PSD file which has a layer with a gradient stroke layer style, it appears, but can't modify the gradient.  Is this a bug or intentional?  I've never really needed to do it until a job I'm working on right now.

Thanks for any input.

Brian

• 1. Re: Gradient Stroke Layer Style
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It works as designed. Not all layer styles are editable in AE since the program does not have the necessary UI routines, but it will gladly render them. You will have to use a conventional approach - use the stroke as a matte for a gradient on a solid.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Gradient Stroke Layer Style
            BrianHolzknecht Level 1

Well that's kind of a bummer... It's not only that it's not editable, you can't even create a gradient stroke using layer styles, which is fully functional in photoshop.  Is there a reason adobe has intentionally left that ability off AE layer styles when it is available in PS?  This isn't the first version of AE that layer styles were included.  I could understand in the first release, but it has been a couple of releases since that feature got implemented.  Strange....

Brian

• 3. Re: Gradient Stroke Layer Style
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, don't ever expect software development to have anything to do with common sense... I'm sure it would have taken a fraction of the time and effort to complete these features instead of creating a GPU raytracer just for CS6 which now in CS7 is already deprecated, but alas, it wasn't meant to be... The good old thing where incomprehensible business and marketing decisions just get in teh way of making "good" software...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Gradient Stroke Layer Style
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We haven't gotten many requests for this feature. We tend to work on things that people request. If you want to make a feature request, you can do so here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish