3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2013 7:18 AM by Peter Spier

New User Question:  How do I find ALL of my setting for my layout once I'm working on it?

Brockton76

I'd like to get screen captures of my settings for each project I do so that I have them for refference.

Thank you!!!

• 1. Re: New User Question:  How do I find ALL of my setting for my layout once I'm working on it?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Which settings? And is a screen capture as useful as creating a Doument Preset, or a Template, would be?

• 2. Re: New User Question:  How do I find ALL of my setting for my layout once I'm working on it?
            Brockton76 Level 1

Every project I have, I've taken over from someone else - so basically I'm looking to mimic settings for each of the publications and save them as templates.  This would include all borders or margins (bleed line, etc, and on a few of them, I'd even like to keep the settings on the columns and the columns on the very same pages that they are on now.  I've just begun taking tutorials and they've been super helpful, but, right now, I'm lost on what the previous guy did - and I'm not in a position to reinvent the Big Mac - I've gotta keep these publications looking exactly as they always do.  Basically, at this point, I have enough skill to take articles and images and get them onto the pages in time for press, if that helps - I apologize asking questions like these - I'm sure they're frustrating for pros - I'll get there, unfortunately I'm under numerous deadlines - with only Photoshop experience and several hours of YouTube tutorials under my belt - your help is so greatly appreciated!  I've managed to get things to print on time so far... but, as you can imagine, the last hours leading up to print are far more difficult than they need to be.  I'd feel comortable, with a template, or knowing EXACTLY what the prevous designer did, for each publication.  I could then compartmentalize, in my mind, my work from my learning - right now I'm surely building more bad habits than good InDesign skills.  Because it's my job, I've got to make these things more manageable before I can really settle into the online course - watching in fifteen minute blips is getting me nowhere.  My questions, right now, aren't designer-worthy - they're of desperation!  Aaaaaaagggghhhhh!  I truly am sorry!  and thank you for your patience!   

• 3. Re: New User Question:  How do I find ALL of my setting for my layout once I'm working on it?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

OK, I think you're basically on the right track, but I think converting your files to templates might be more useful than printouts. Templates contain the master pages (which is where margins and columns are typically changed from the defaults set during initial Document Setup (or they may not be changed from those defaults at all), all the styles defined for the project, and all the color swatches that have been defined, so you don't need to reinvent the wheel, only choose from among the available selections. They can also have page elements (headers and footers, page numbers, placeholder frames for standard layouts, etc.) predefined or in place.

You can make any file into a template just by saving as one (File > Save As... and choose Template from the file type dropdown), or by changing the file extension to .indt. The only functional difference between a document file and a template file is that when opened "normally" documents open as original, so you are editing the actual document, and templates open as an untitled copy, so you are editing the copy and won't accidentally change the template. You can delete essentially all the content (other than objects on a master page) from any file and save as a template and have everything you need to make a new file using the same parameters.

There are scripts available to tell you what styles are defined in a document (you can google for InDesign Style Reporter script, I think), and there may be others that will give you other parameters. There may be something like that in the Blatner Tools plugin, too. If you want one comprehensive script you may need to pay someone to custom write it for you, but it would be worth a trip to the scripting forum (InDesign Scripting) to see what is already written that might help you if you want reports.