6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2013 6:49 AM by QxJKP

Alternating master page templates in a non-facing pages document

QxJKP

Hi There,

I am creating a document without facing pages as they require bleed around the whole of each page. I am placing text into the document to generate the pages from the master pages. The problem is I have two master pages, left and right and I need them to flow left, right etc. How do I do this in a non-facing pages document? I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Q

• 1. Re: Alternating master page templates in a non-facing pages document
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Facing pages is still the best approach, but you can use a script to "split the spreads so that your bleeds will work. You'll find the script in the comments at InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Breaking Pages Apart to Bleed Off a Spine

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Alternating master page templates in a non-facing pages document
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Peter – it's an old script, but it is still working in InDesign CS5.5 or CS6 (not tested, but should run as expected).

However, there could be some potential issues  using it.
            So I recommend running it on a duplicate of your document!

Some fair warnings:

1. Do NOT run it on single sided documents (this should be obvious, but better you are warned…)
            2. Do NOT run it on double sided documents, if one or some of spreads are hold together with brackets like this:
            [2-3]. First convert all spreads from [2-3] to 2-3.
            3. In no case, run it on document spreads with more than 2 pages like center folds.

4.1 Be aware, that  objects, that overlap the whole spread, will not be duplicated. It depends on the center of the object on which side the object will stay. It will be your task to check for missing parts or misaligned objects on a page. Especially check the position of anchored objects.
            4.2 Horizontal guides will not be duplicated where possibly necessary.

Uwe

• 3. Re: Alternating master page templates in a non-facing pages document
              QxJKP Level 1

Thank you ever so much to you both, I will try this out tomorrow

• 4. Re: Alternating master page templates in a non-facing pages document
                QxJKP Level 1

Hi there,

I have tried splitting the document as per the link but I have 5mm bleed all around each page, I have tried master pages as a spread but as discussed the image with bleed ends up crossing the spine. So when I place the text the backgrounds are wrong. Also my linked text boxes in the master pages unlink when I try to place the text and so not generating any new pages or populating any more than one text box.

What I have now tried to do is have it as a facing pages doc where I have staggered the pages and I have managed to space the master page facing pages by 10mm so I can have the bleed without the both backgrounds appearing on each single page. I did this by starting off the document as a non-facing page doc and then converting it to facing pages.

The problem is now that when I place the text it creates pages after the first two pages as double pages spreads. Is there an easy way to stagger pages or move pages away from the spine in a facing pages document?

Really nearly there,

Many thanks

QxJKP

• 5. Re: Alternating master page templates in a non-facing pages document
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think we need to see some screen captures of the document and master pages. If you have content that crosses the spine intentionally, the way to handle it is to put it on both pages. You can accomplish that by using copy, then paste in place on the other page, and finally crop the two copies in opposite directions to the bleed boundaries at the spine.

• 6. Re: Alternating master page templates in a non-facing pages document
                    QxJKP Level 1

Thank you Peter and Laubender, I have found that I can flow the text and generate the document, after that I am splitting the document afterwards. It's a little longer winded than I had hoped but it is not that time consuming.

Many thanks

QxJKP