10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2013 2:42 PM by SteveH59

Question about VOB files

SteveH59 Level 1

Hello

I recently burnt a DVD through Elements 11 so that it could be watched on a DVD player of the type that is typcially connected up to a TV and used to watch DVD movies rented from an outlet (and not just available to be watched through computer software such as Windows Media Player). The file I was editing and working on in Premiere Elements 11 was a .wmv file.

I was pleased, therefore, that I could watch the DVD on the TV DVD Player. However, on exploring the disk, I notice that there are various VOB files (attached screenshot).

What happened to my .wmv file? One other thing, would I be able to watch the DVD on the TV DVD player if the files had kept their original .wmv format?

Thanks!

Steve

• 1. Re: Question about VOB files
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

WMV will not play on a DVD player attached to a TV... you must use the SPECIFIC format, and files, that make a disc into a movie disc

Link to DVD Demystified FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/544206 may help you understand

Put a commercial DVD in your computer drive... exit from autoplay... use Windows Explorer to look at the disc

• 2. Re: Question about VOB files
            SteveH59 Level 1

Thanks for that, John.

So when the files are converted from .wmv to VOB, Elements is essentially preparing the DVD for use in any DVD player attached to a TV?

I'll take a look at the link - thanks.

Steve

• 3. Re: Question about VOB files
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SteveH59

One way to look at it is that Premiere Elements has taken your .wmv and encoded it to a DVD-VIDEO format which has a standarized folders and files structure on the DVD disc in the required File System. Such a DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc should be supported by the TV's DVD player. Typically TV DVD Players support the DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc, sometimes the JPEG CD, and sometime the VCD.

As I see it, you have gone from whatever the video and audio compression existed for the .wmv to DVD-VIDEO - MPEG2 video compression and Dolby Digital stereo with the essential files having the VOB file extension.

Bottom line: The TV DVD Players specificatiosn define what formats it will play back as well as the disc types on which the format must be on.

ATR

• 4. Re: Question about VOB files
                SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

Premiere Elements has taken your .wmv and encoded it to a DVD-VIDEO format which has a standarized folders and files structure on the DVD disc in the required File System.

Yes, that is what I thought had happened and I imagine Premiere Elements would do the same if I have been working on a .MOV, AVI, etc, and not only .wmv files?

Steve

• 5. Re: Question about VOB files
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ALL input files are converted to the REQUIRED format and file structure to create a DVD

• 6. Re: Question about VOB files
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve,

The export settings will define your export of the Timeline containing a variety of source media, be those source media .wmv, .mov, etc.as per John T. Smith's reply.

When you select an export other than burn to disc, example

Publish+Share

Computer

Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, AVCHD, AVI, Windows Media, or QuickTime

please check out the export settings under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab of the preset that you select. There are many properties for a video file including video and audio compression. You can customized many of the Adobe default settings if you decide that is needed.

Starting focus might be video compression and audio compression. Note that the file extension that is used is the wrapper format for the video and audio compresson. Some wrapper formats work better with some video and audio compressions than others.

I was browsing online and came across the following for video formats. I have not had a chance to study it, but the topics sound interesting. If you like to check it out the link to it is:

http://library.rice.edu/services/dmc/guides/video/VideoFormatsGuide.pdf

ATR

• 7. Re: Question about VOB files
                      SteveH59 Level 1

Thank you for that, John, and to you ATR for your explanation and that great link. It looks like an entire reference library and will no doubt prove very useful.

Steve

• 8. Re: Question about VOB files
                        SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

Following on from what you say about settings, here is a screenshot of a movie shot on a PAL Sony Camcorder. You will see that it is 25 frames/sec. Audio compression is stated, but video isn't, so I wouldn't know what compression settings to choose when determining my Export settings.

Furthermore, in my Export settings would I define the Pixel Aspect Ratio as 1.0940 to correspond to the same Pixel Aspect Ratio in Properties (I found these Properties shown in the screenshot by inserting the movie onto the Expert Timeline and right-clicked and selected 'Show Properties').

Thanks again.

Steve

Properties.jpg

• 9. Re: Question about VOB files
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

From the Premiere Elements Properties readout, you will not get video compression and audio compression named. You could use free utilities such as MediaInfo and gspot for that.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

http://download.cnet.com/GSpot/3000-2248_4-10381198.html

or

information from you camera settings and camera manufacturer's camera specifications.

But the Premiere Elements export settings under the Advanced Button/Video and Audio Tabs will give you that type of details and others.

From the properties information that you posted, I concluded

a. you are using 720 x 576 4:3 @ 25 interlaced frames per second (see pixel aspect ratio for the clue as to whether standard 4:3 or standard widescreen 16:9.

b. an important piece of information here would be Field Order (aka Scan Order) for this interlaced video, whether upper field first or lower field first. MediaInfo would be good for that type of information. Field order of the interlaced source media becomes relevant when you are targeting a DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc where the standardization calls for Field Order lower field first.

Lots to review. All will come together.

ATR

• 10. Re: Question about VOB files
                            SteveH59 Level 1

Thanks again ATR

I'll check the Sony camcorder's specifications.

I had better read up on Field Order, MediaInfo, as well as all the information behind the links that have been posted.

Thanks for your encouragement!

Steve