9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2013 8:11 AM by tfi productions 44

Inexpensive Dual-DVI video card for Cubase 6.5 & Adobe Premiere CS6, on Win7x64

MD Optofonik Level 1

I need a card for both and I can't find one that is "approved" for both. Is anyone using these two programs together? I'm currently using a pair of ATI FireGL V3350 cards that, so far, play video fine in Premiere (haven't done any editing or AE yet) but not in Cubase 6. I'm not a pro so a high end card would be lost on me. An inexpensive card that can handle standard editing in Premiere with some AE, no advanced 3-D (titles only?), and will also play video in Cubase 6.5 is what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Inexpensive Dual-DVI video card for Cubase 6.5 & Adobe Premiere CS6, on Win7x64
          tfi productions 44 Level 1

hello,

you should check the PPRO cs6/cc system requirements page and scroll down towards the bottom where the gpus are listed

and start looking at newegg, etc. for purchase

i think PPRO has more requirements than cubase 6.5

the sys requirements on the cubase webpage states 1280x800

why dual dvi?

how much money can you spend (you should provide a range)

if you post back with more of how you intend to use the gpu etc. you might get better responses from forum users...

also you might also want to post this in the hardware forum...

cheers, j

• 2. Re: Inexpensive Dual-DVI video card for Cubase 6.5 & Adobe Premiere CS6, on Win7x64
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I thought Cubase was an audio program, like Audition.  Why does the video card matter for that?

• 3. Re: Inexpensive Dual-DVI video card for Cubase 6.5 & Adobe Premiere CS6, on Win7x64
              MD Optofonik Level 1

I use four monitors with Cubase; real estate needed for large projects becomes an issue otherwise.

Two of the four monitors are color managed for Photoshop; dual Spectraview II monitors. Everrything was fine till I upgraded to Win7 x64 and Cubase 6. The video engine in Cubase doesn't like the ATI cards anymore and Stieinberg tech support wasn't very helpful; when I finally got  a tech on the phone he refused to help me any furthur when I told him I couldn't allow him remote access to my workstation.

(Quite frankly, Steinberg's hardware requirments have become a bit more nebulous than I like over the years and support isn't what it used to be. I've used Cubase since '93 but Cubase 6.5 will be my final version.)

I've checked out the video card requirements for Premiere and it isn't encouraging due to most of the dual-dvi cards requiring two spaces and being too long for my case; the ATI FireGL cards are both single space and about 6 inches long.

As far as how I'l be using the cards, my intention is to do an assembly edit in Premier, render it to a compatible video file for import into Cubase where I can compose to picture. After the music is finished I'll create an appropriate stereo file for import into Premiere where a final picture edit can be made.

Simon that last bit should answer your question as well.

• 4. Re: Inexpensive Dual-DVI video card for Cubase 6.5 & Adobe Premiere CS6, on Win7x64

hello, @ MD:  this should be fun:  i use Reason7

in the general forum there is a thread about mulitple monitors

some of the PPRO users here might get a kick out of this as well and/or have comments/advice

here is most of it:

CELTICDALE:

Hi! I`ve been using 3 screens for 7-8 years on 4 different systems.

This solution works on any system I can think of, laptop or desktop.

Matrox TripleHead2Go (Digital Edition) (TH2Go)

It works by splitting the signal from 1 DVI or VGA port to 3 screens.

I just bougt a GTX690 which have 3 DVI ports, but I only use 1 with

the TH2Go because it works perfect without any hassle. The beauty

of it, compared to what others are suggesting, is that you can use

this whith whatever system you have, and you don`t have to by a new

solution (graphics card) if you upgrade. It`s external, so you can

easily move it to another computer. There are no fans and it gets

power from a USB port and use almost no power compared to an extra

gfx card. I also still have to free ports from my GTX690, allowing

me to add 2 more screens if I want.

If you hook it up to a laptop, you can use the laptop screen + up to 3

extra screens. I can run this on an 8 year old laptop I have, with no problems..

People who are suggesting that DVI is getting phased out, are wrong.

The worlds newest and fastest single GPU highend card comes with

2 DVI ports (GTX780, and is released tomorrow)

When I travel, it fits easily inside my laptop bag. Only thing I need

extra is the cables and adapters to hook up to different types of ports.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815106011

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/pr...connect_video/

The only way to go in my opinion...

Good luck!

PS. There are different models, with HDMI also, but I reccommend the

model I linked to, as you can just go with adapter if you want to

connect to HDMI and don`t need to send sound to the screen. In the

rare cases I connect sound to the screen, I just use a minijack cable.

But of cource, you know best what you need..

hope this helps in some way, cheers, j

• 5. Re: Inexpensive Dual-DVI video card for Cubase 6.5 & Adobe Premiere CS6, on Win7x64
                  MD Optofonik Level 1

Very cool but a bit more than my budget for now. I really didn't intend on upgrading my cards but Cubase's incompatiblilty with my current cards gves me no choice so this is an unexpected and unwelcome expense. I've put a couple of GeForce GT640 cards in my Amazon basket while I do a bit more research.

• 6. Re: Inexpensive Dual-DVI video card for Cubase 6.5 & Adobe Premiere CS6, on Win7x64
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

[export] to a compatible video file for import into Cubase where I can compose to picture.

Ahh, now I'm following.

• 7. Re: Inexpensive Dual-DVI video card for Cubase 6.5 & Adobe Premiere CS6, on Win7x64

hello, @ MD:  would you mind going into more detail about your workflow of 'video in cubase'

from their website i got this:

Open GL video engine

Cubase also sports an Open GL accelerated QuickTime video engine with full HD support, scalable performance and the ability to play out videos via FireWire.

if you don't mind me asking what type of projects do you do?

it seems like you are more  of a musician and cubase is your predominant work

(i ask because i am a big reason/acidpro user for sound, but i'm getting into audition cs6/3.0)

i teach high school English and we make rap/hiphop/gospel/r&b videos on sustainable issues what not...

thanks, j

• 8. Re: Inexpensive Dual-DVI video card for Cubase 6.5 & Adobe Premiere CS6, on Win7x64
                        MD Optofonik Level 1

I purchased Cubase 6.5 for the purpose of getting back to writing music to picture (it had been a long time). I've never been able to get the video playback in Cubase 6.5 so I haven't been able to start any "projects" Musically, I write what suits my disposition at the time of writing; a link to something is below.

Anyway, long, very long, story short, I decided to install Cubase 6.0 (not 6.5) on my NLE workstation yesterday afternoon and it played back video as advertised. I edited together a ten minute sequence using .mov clips in Premiere, used additive dissolves for transitions, exported the sequence to my video drive as a QT file, then imported the resulting file into Cubase 6.0 and it played back with no problems.

Please note that my current video cards did not hinder my ability to use Premiere; the ten minute sequence, admittedly very simple, didn't take long to render. I didn't actually time how long it took but I had enough time to play a couple of songs on my ukulele while waiting; 4-6 minutes, maybe. In practical use, if a more complicated sequence has to render overnight I don't have a problem with that.

Cubase 6.5 is still on my audio workstation, however, so if I want to use video on my DAW I'll have to wipe that hard drive clean and do a fresh install with only Cubase 6.0 so I won't have access to the features of Cubase 6.5. I've initiated a conversation with Steinberg and will be scheduling a phone consult about 6.5 so I can't go into any more details until that conversation reaches a conclusion one way or the other.

Music link:

http://electrolierborealis.bandcamp.com/album/the-well-tempered-oscillator

• 9. Re: Inexpensive Dual-DVI video card for Cubase 6.5 & Adobe Premiere CS6, on Win7x64

hello, @ MD:  thanks for posting back...your music is very surreal and interesting...it sounds like it could be used for lynch's eraserhead pt 2

i am just getting into deeper sound design with lfos, adsr, filters, cv (the neatest thing about reason), automating filters, etc.  thanks for sharing, cheers, j