6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2007 4:05 PM by heathrowe

Slicing

IDAE_florida
      When I make a slice it creates a division of the page... When I go into Dreamweaver and preview the page, the divisions that the slice made become their own images. How can I get the slice to stay as an image, but have the divisions under the slice not become images? (For instance when I right click over an area that I didn't directly slice, I can save that area as an image. I don't want it to be an image. I want it to come up so you can right click and say "back" at the top of the menu.
        • 1. Re: Slicing
          Level 7
          IDAE florida wrote:
          > When I make a slice it creates a division of the page... When I go into
          > Dreamweaver and preview the page, the divisions that the slice made become
          > their own images. How can I get the slice to stay as an image, but have the
          > divisions under the slice not become images? (For instance when I right click
          > over an area that I didn't directly slice, I can save that area as an image. I
          > don't want it to be an image. I want it to come up so you can right click and
          > say "back" at the top of the menu.

Why not just export the slices you want as images by right clicking on
          them and choosing export > this slice only?

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          • 2. Slicing
            IDAE_florida Level 1
            I'm not sure I follow... because I want to export the whole page, not just a single image.
            • 3. Re: Slicing
              heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
              For a slice NOT to be exported as an image.
              Select the slice, then in the Properties Inspector, change Type:Image to Html.
              Click Edit and put a bogus few words so when you open it in Dremweaver you can find it easily.

h
              • 4. Slicing
                IDAE_florida Level 1
                I want the slice to be exported as an image. But when you make a slice, it automatically divides the page... and the divisions end up coming out as images. I want the division under the slice not to show up as an image, so the background is not showing up as an image (it shows up as a background) on the website.
                • 5. Re: Slicing
                  Level 7
                  IDAE florida wrote:
                  > I'm not sure I follow... because I want to export the whole page, not just a single images.

So, are you wanting to export text as HTML text, or something like that?
                  Then put slices over everything. For those slices you want to export
                  as HTML text, click on the slice guide to select it, and change the
                  slice type from Image slice to HTML slice in the Property inspector.
                  Click on the EDIT button that pops up to enter the text.

--
                  Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                  http://www.projectseven.com
                  Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                  CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                  http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                  • 6. Slicing
                    heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
                    idae

The moment a slice is made on the layout, the remaining areas is auto sliced as separate images. There is not much you can do there, except for the two suggestions above - slice all areas/target each one as image or html, or select just the one slice, right click the slice and choose Export Selected Slice.

h