22 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2017 6:34 AM by JBxCreative

Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?

Shine*ola

I'm seeing a strange problem in one of my sequences which was working fine but on reopening the project, I see that all but the first 7 seconds of the edited clips on the timeline are now cross-hatched. There's no video or sound when I scrub over the cross-hatched portion. I've tried removing all effects and transitions but no joy. There are several other sequences in this project which are all working normally. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

The cross-hatching means that there used to be something there, but now there isn't.  You see this most often with nested sequences, when you shorten the original but forget to shorten the nest.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

More information needed for someone to help... please click below and provide the requested information

-Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

• 3. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
              Shine*ola Level 1

Thanks Jim. I haven't created any nested sequences, but this gave me a clue. I had transferred this project from my laptop and when I now look at the project folder, I'm seeing that some of the video clips are greyed out, like they were partially transferred and then truncated. I suspect that when I re-copy the files over and then re-open the project, the cross-hatching will have disappeared.

• 4. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
                CLHGus Level 1

I'm having a similar issue.  Opened up a project file this morning (after having successfully worked on it yesterday with no issues) with one video file on my timeline crosshatched out several seconds in. 

No changes made to my computer, Nothing different. 

Replacing the video file has no change.  Renaming the folder structure results in no change.

Timeline segment remains cross hatched.  No nesting.  No nothing...

Grumpy.

Thanks.

Windows 7 pro

i7 processor

32G Ram

660M Nvidia Graphics

PPro 7.2.1

• 5. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Try deleting the Cache files.

• 6. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
                    CLHGus Level 1

Deleting cache files has no effect.  Any other thoughts?

• 7. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
                      shooternz Level 6

Are they Disabled (or Locked)?

• 8. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
                        CLHGus Level 1

The "toggle lock snyc" was showing as open as opposed to when I clicked on it I saw the button change to a diagonal line strike through it.

?

• 9. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
                          CLHGus Level 1

Technical support is telling me that my issue is "project specific".... that Pro isn't interpreting the in/out points correctly.  

• 10. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
                            chekonim

They told me the same thing!   But this problem seems more popular than that.  Adobe should do something about it. 

• 11. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
                              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Chekonim,

• Is this a project started in CC, then imported to CC 2014?
                              • Do you have Pluraleyes in your workflow at all?
                              • If you start a new project in CC 2014, do you have the same issue?

Thanks,
                              Kevin

• 12. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
                                Chris Gunningham Level 1

when you relink the clips deselect align timecode. I've seen this a few times before and that worked.

• 13. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
                                  what_

I had the same problem importing from Prem CC on editors ext HD (also mac) to Prem CC2014 on this computer.

Attempting to relink media hasn't fixed it.

Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014ScreenSnapz001.jpg

Looks like i have to rebuild the edit at this end, luckily the footage wasn't media managed so have all the source files. However, it looks like a lot of the clips that "look ok" ie not crosshatches, actually have incorrect inpoints media wise.

However, I have the old version of Premiere CC on my computer, when opened in that it does the same thing. So i suspect that this is the much vaunted "reconnect media accurately automatically" feature that i watched in a promo last year kicking in, rather than a CC -> CC2014 issue

Premiere CC 2014

Macbook pro 2.4 GHz core 2 due

4 GB Ram

• 14. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
                                    sequence W4 Level 1

This has happened to me too! Really annoying!!

Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 18.04.29.png

I can import the media again and and place on new layer in the timeline as shown above. But media won't 'replace' or 'relink' The only thing I have done to this sequence is send the audio to Audition and imported the resultant processed wav file. Does Premiere somehow think about the sequence sent to audition? But then it does have the correct in and out points. And when I go to earlier autosave everything is cross hatched. Nightmare on CC2014!

• 15. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
                                      Mobius Strip Level 1

Same problem.  Used the project manager to corral all the used source clips and then CCed them in Resolve.  Then had Resolve write out all the source files into a different directory with the same names but with the correction (and retaining audio).  Renamed the original directory that the clips were in.

Opened the project in Premiere CS 6, and it asked where the first clip was.  Pointed it to the directory of color-corrected versions, and the entire timeline is cross-hatched and doesn't play anything but audio.  But if I drag the In or Out point of a timeline event, it shows the frames just fine in the program monitor.  And if I right-click on a timeline event and say "Reveal in project" and double-click that file, it plays fine in the source monitor.

So the whole project appears to be corrupt and I've found no way to recover it.  I even tried exporting to FCP XML and re-importing it.

• 16. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
                                        CliveL

Hi Guys,

Today I opened up a recent project and I too had this exact problem with crosshatched footage. I searched through the forum and couldn't find any solutions. After about half an hour of playing around I stumbled upon a solution that worked for me.

Right click on a single piece of footage in the timeline and select reveal in project, then right click again on the same footage in the timeline and select replace with clip from bin. You have to do this for every corrosponding clip.

I am not sure what exactly caused this problem but I am suspecting it has something to do with the interpolation of the footage as in my case the crosshatched footage only occurred on clips that were shot at 50fps.

I hope this help.

***Update***

Okay quick update, although this method replaced the missing footage It also removed the in and out points I had set. After some more messing around I noticed something rather odd. When I double clicked the crosshatched footage it opened up the program monitor, which was of course blank, but here I noticed a small white line in the program monitors time frame. After clicking this small white line it expanded to reveal the footage with my in and out points. It would appear that they were some how intersecting one another. However, the clips remain un-updated in the main timeline. After clicking on the selection of the in and out points and dragging the whole selection to the left by one frame the clip updated in the main timeline.

Problem solved, well at least this was the case for me. A quick side note I still had to do this procedure and every missing clip.

Once again I hope this helps.

• 17. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
                                          Mobius Strip Level 1

Thanks for that info, Clive.  I'll try that next time.

How many versions has this major bug been around?

• 18. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
                                            CliveL Level 1

I am not entirely sure, this is the first time I have encountered this issue.

Just another quick update I found another work around that might be useful. I noticed that on my footage that was shot at 50fps the interpretation was set to read at 50fps I changed this to assume 25fps and this also corrected the issue. Might be worth a try if you're using footage with different frames rates.

• 19. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
                                              kbjohnson1 Level 1

For what its worth, I also opened up a project today that was working just fine yesterday and found a hatched out clip on the timeline.

Poking around, I found that the clip, although still named (in the bin in Project Panel) the same as the original file--- was actually referring to another clip on disk (discovered by right-click on clip in bin, then "Reveal in Finder"_)

Using "Replace Footage" to hook it to the correct original file brought it back to life on the timeline.

• 20. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
                                                juliab76632106

POSSIBLE SOLUTION

Hi! I found the core of the problem! I had the same thing after re-naming a footage file - the one that I used for editing.

SOLUTION: After I put the original name back - I am problem free

• 21. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
                                                  ralphd80369908

HOLY SH*T EVERYONE MUST READ THIS ONE, THIS IS THE REAL SOLUTION THANKS MAN I LOVE YOU YOU SAVED MY DAY HAHA

• 22. Re: Cross-hatched clips in sequence timeline?
                                                    JBxCreative

I had this issue, it was because I was editing mixed footage, some 24fps, 60fps, and 120fps; I selected "Interpret footage at 24fps" for my first round of selects. Then for my second selection, when I reverted it back to original speed, it did this nested crosshatch situation I didn't understand. Happy I figured this out!