9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 8:09 PM by MD Optofonik

GeForce GT 640 video card? Anyone using one succesfully with CS6?

MD Optofonik

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: GeForce GT 640 video card? Anyone using one succesfully with CS6?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

See Video Card Performance and scroll down till you see the relevant chart.

• 2. Re: GeForce GT 640 video card? Anyone using one succesfully with CS6?
            RjL190365 Level 4

I saw that chart. That chart lists GPUs that have been tested on an i7-2600K Sandy Bridge system with 32GB of RAM. As that chart reveals, the GeForce GT 640 is all but useless for GPU acceleration on that PC: That combination would have performed faster with CS6's MPE in software-only mode than with GPU acceleration enabled. In fact, it is so slow that it would have been a mismatch for even a dual-core i3 CPU. Worst of all, it is not all that much cheaper than the faster GTX 650 or much faster GTX 650 Ti.

In other words, unless you have a six-year-old PC with something like a Core 2 Duo, the GT 640 would have been a complete waste of money.

• 3. Re: GeForce GT 640 video card? Anyone using one succesfully with CS6?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Unless, as the OP did, he crippled himself with a case too small to accomodate a two slot video card, or a card that is too long. He originally decided to go for a small or medium case and can now harvest the benefits of that choice.

I agree with you Randall, but the OP has to make some serious choices, since he is a bind now.

• 5. Re: GeForce GT 640 video card? Anyone using one succesfully with CS6?
                MD Optofonik Level 1

The reason for my query has more to do with Cubase than Adobe; I was not intending on a video card upgrade since my current video cards, two ATI V3350 dual-DVI cards, seem to playback in Premier just fine (so far). Steinberg, however, crippled video playback in Cubase by upgrading their video engine (limiting the number of supported formats) and my cards no longer work inside Cubase. As a result I just need a card that works in both, something inexpensive, until I can justify a larger budget. My CPU is a 1100T and a newer FX CPU was used at S1P in their tests but it's been benchmarked only slightly faster. My 1100T may, or may not, be faster than the 640's GPU. They certainly appear to be closely matched so it could go either way.

The real problem I seem to be discovering is form factor; I can only fit single slot cards that are no more than 8.5 inches in length into my case (getting a new case and re-assembling everything into it isn't an option right now). As a result, it appears the GeForce GT 640 is my only option and, according to my email from Steinberg this morning, it does work in Cubase.

All my questions and the opinions that have been offered by everyone who has responded here and elsewhere have been very helpful in allowing me to understand the compromises I'll have to make and the limitations imposed by those compromises. Thanks.

• 6. Re: GeForce GT 640 video card? Anyone using one succesfully with CS6?
                  MD Optofonik Level 1

You are correct. at the time I built this computer space was at a premium and I had to go with a small case. And yes, I am indeed in a bind. I dont' want to go off on a Steinberg bashing rant but they could learn a few things from Adobe. Not everythingm just a few.

• 7. Re: GeForce GT 640 video card? Anyone using one succesfully with CS6?
                    MD Optofonik Level 1

As an aside, how much of a performance compromise am I making with the GT640 when t comes to a five minute video? Overnight renders are not a big deal for me.

Here are some specs for my box:

Windows 7 x64 sp1

MSI K9A2 Platinum V1

AMD Phenom 1100T

G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

Seagate SATA2 500G x3 (audio HD, sample HD, and general storage/virtual memory HD)

Seagate  SATA2 750G x1 (video HD)

WD SATA2 350G x1 (system HD)

M-Audio Audiophile 198 x2

ATI FireGL V3350 x2 To be replaced

NEC Spectraview 21" LCD Monitor x2

ACER X193W 19" LCD Monitor x2

• 8. Re: GeForce GT 640 video card? Anyone using one succesfully with CS6?
                      RjL190365 Level 4

Oh, this changes things a bit from what I stated earlier. Your system is just too slow for anything above simple 1440x1080 HDV as equipped. You have two old and slow (by current standards) hard drives that cannot sustain even 100 MB/s on the outer tracks. And your system uses seriously outdated DDR2 system RAM that cannot be carried over at all to any newer system.

As such, if you need a GPU upgrade right now, the GT 640 would be a significant improvement over that ancient FirePro GL V3350 (which was based on an equally ancient Radeon X1300 Pro). Otherwise, if you want to do much more video editing than CuBase, then I strongly recommend saving up for an entire new Intel CPU-powered build.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 9. Re: GeForce GT 640 video card? Anyone using one succesfully with CS6?
                        MD Optofonik Level 1

Yesterday afternoon I edited together a ten minute sequence using .mov clips in Premiere, used additive dissolves for transitions, exported the sequence to my video drive as a QT file, then imported the resulting file into Cubase 6.0 and it played back with no problems.Cubase 6.5 won't play that same video file, however.

My current video cards did not hinder my ability to use Premiere; the ten minute sequence, admittedly very simple, didn't take long to render. I didn't actually time how long it took but I had enough time to play a couple of songs on my ukulele while waiting; 4-6 minutes, maybe. In practical use, if a more complicated sequence has to render overnight I don't have a problem with that.

I don't have a problem with using my current system with Premiere; Cubase 6.5 is what has prompted my question but I need a card that works woth both. I'll be on the phine with Steinberg tomorrow.