9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 1:33 AM by MD Optofonik

Investing in CS6

mrbrycel

I'm a FCP 7 user, and was excited to make the transition to Premiere, until I heard about creative cloud. I'm not a fan of FCP X, but I love premiere. I don't earn income from editing, so it's hard to justify the monthly cost of creative cloud that will quickly add up to the cost of a one time purchase of student edition CS6.

My question is, is it a mistake for me to invest in CS6? Will I regret it in a few years? Will OS updates end up killing CS6 within the next years?

• 1. Re: Investing in CS6
          Axel Matt Level 4

mrbrycel wrote:

My question is, is it a mistake for me to invest in CS6?

Not at the moment.

mrbrycel wrote:

Will I regret it in a few years? Will OS updates end up killing CS6 within the next years?

That's a question that couldn't be answered. Nobody knows what could be in the future. If I can look into the future I'd be a rich man. 

Axel

• 2. Re: Investing in CS6
            joe bloe premiere Level 5

You should be aware CS6 has a known bug regarding AVCHD media.

Not all cameras are affected, and the bug does not exist in CS5 / CS5.5.

Audio and Video glitches | AVCHD footage

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/audio-video-glitches-avchd.html

This bug has been resolved in the June 17th Creative Cloud release.

It remains to be seen if the fix will be applied to CS6 in the future.

As far as OS updates rendering CS6 unusable in the near future,

I doubt it.

Adobe CS6 Trial Downloads: Direct Links

http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cs6-direct-download-links.html

Be sure to read "Note: Very Important Instructions".

CS6 - Buy the Perpetual License version (Not Creative Cloud rental)

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_c reativesuite6.html?promoid=KFPMZ

To buy an upgrade instead the of full version, click the buy button

then select 'I want to buy: Upgrade' instead of 'Full'.

CS5 and CS5.5 Products are eligible for upgrade to CS6.

• 3. Re: Investing in CS6
              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Don't forget that the student version of CC is a lot cheaper. So it helps balance out the costs. But yes, you have to plan for a lifetime of payments and if you are not the type of person who upgrades every time to get all of the new features, you may be better off buying CS6 and just sticking with it.

I doubt that OS changes will make a difference in the next 5 or 6 years because CS6 runs on a 64 bit system and I am making the assumption that Microsoft won't change anything too dramatically in that time. After that, all bets are off the table. But you can always keep running CS6 on the same PC until the poor thing dies of old age.

• 4. Re: Investing in CS6
                MD Optofonik Level 1

If you build a closed system it should last awhile. Build it, test it, lock it down. There is a long running TV show I know of that is using a Pro-Tools system that is going on almost ten years old. It works so there has been no reason to change it.

As codecs change you can eventually add a second computer for conversions and transfer the converted files to your NLE workstation (can't add such conversion software to a workstation that is locked down); there will always be third party utilities that keep up with the changes even though Adobe won't with CS6. The other option is to rent the relevant Adobe software for a month just to do the conversions if they allow that.

I think the key is to treat the workstation as a piece of hardware, much like an XBOX or PS3, that can't be upgraded. While some may see computers as infinitely upgradable there are certain applications for which a closed system is more of an advantage. Think in terms of an NLE workstation as being infinitely reliable and usable as apposed to infinitely upgradable. If one keeps upgrading and adding software and plugins, one is constantly in testing and troubleshooting mode; good if you're into IT, not good if you're into editing. As time goes on it really will be easier  to add a separate computer for certain utility work, i.e., conversions and the like.

Since you qualify for student pricing I would check out Academic Superstore and see if your school qualifies for their "special pricing" for Master Suite which is less than the normal student pricing and way less than retail for Premiere and AE alone. Student software isn't upgradable but since CS6 perpetual licensing is now a thing of the past that's not a problem for people who buy boxed. MA may seem like overkill but you do get some extras that may come in handy down the line and, again, even at student pricing MS is less than the separate components by far.

I believe that, by the time such a CS6 deployment is outdated, one of Adobe's competitors will have stepped up to the plate with regard to a perpetually licensed product. Perhaps Adobe will discover the new CC model isn't as financally viable as they hoped and things will change accordingly. That is an other discussion, however.

As always, it's just one man's opinion.

• 5. Re: Investing in CS6
                  joe bloe premiere Level 5
                  ...since CS6 perpetual licensing is now a thing of the past

Perpetual Licensing is still available for CS6:

CS6 - Buy the Perpetual License version (Not Creative Cloud rental)

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_cata log_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html?promoid=KFPMZ

To buy an upgrade instead the of full version, click the buy button

then select 'I want to buy: Upgrade' instead of 'Full'.

CS5 and CS5.5 Products are eligible for upgrade to CS6.

• 6. Re: Investing in CS6
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Will OS updates end up killing CS6 within the next years?

Adobe plans to update CS6 to accommodate any necessary OS changes.

• 7. Re: Investing in CS6
                      mrbrycel Level 1

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and answers. I think I'm going to go ahead and get CS6. Is there any reason I should buy direct from Adobe versus B&H? B&H has the student edition for about $60 less than adobe, but I wasn't sure whether or not it would be better to buy direct from adobe.

• 8. Re: Investing in CS6
                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Buy it where it is the cheapest.

• 9. Re: Investing in CS6
                          MD Optofonik Level 1

Sorry, bout that. The word "after" should have been added.