5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2013 2:48 AM by Peter Spier

Problems with file size

totallockout Level 1

There are a few discussions on this subject but I've been unable to resolve my problem.

I created a 24 page catalogue in InDesign, file size c30Mb. When I export to Acrobat the resulting file is about 11.5Mb. I need to get this down to 5Mb for online publishing.

As a last resort, I stripped out all the hi-res EPS image files and replaced them with smaller jpegs.....all to no avail. In fact the source InDesign file has not changed at all. To that end:

1. Is there a way to identify the file size of the various elements of the InDesign file to see where the big bits are?

2. What else can I do to get the pdf file below 5Mb?

Thanks for any advice.

totallockout (Novice CS user)

• 1. Re: Problems with file size
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

One very important thing to understand is that you can't simply legislate the resultant PDF file size when creating PDF from original content.

Image size and resolution certainly can have a major effect on the resultant PDF file size, but there are other possiblities including large amounts of vector artwork for which the only way to bring down the file size is to turn it into raster image (often making it unreadable) or by simplying it.

When you refer to your EPS images (we strongly recommend against using EPS for images in the 21st century), we assume you mean raster images that were saved as EPS in Photoshop. It is possible that those high resolution images were already compressed quite a bit and thus, smaller JPEG versions of the EPS files would not have any appreciable effect on the output PDF file size.

Quite frankly, if much of your 24 page catalog is imagery, 11.5MB of PDF is not bad at all. Maybe if you can post a copy of the file, we can give you some further advise. But in the end, you might have to dramatically simplify your design to reach a target output file size.

- Dov

• 2. Re: Problems with file size
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In Acrobat if you go to File>Save As>PDF Optimised

in the Top Right Hand Corner there's an "Audit Space Usage"

Here I can see a PDF I have has 38% of it is Images and 36% is Document Overheads

audits.png

See this link for some tips http://indesignsecrets.com/document-overhead-in-indesigns-pdf-can-be-huuuuuuge.php

• 3. Re: Problems with file size
              totallockout Level 1

Eugene,

Following your instructions, I got the following information. What conclusions can I gather here, (or remedial action).

Catalogue-Space-Usage.jpg

• 4. Re: Problems with file size
                totallockout Level 1

Dov,

Great feedback thank you. I'll never understand the science behind image file types but do recognise they can create different outcomes in publishing. The eps images are provided by the manufacturer of the products we sell. I just had a look at some in isolation. The clarity and resolution is excellent; some images are in excess of 1Mb, and there may be 30+ images dotted throughout my catalogue.

As for vector artwork, I believe this to be 'man-made' imagery of which there's none in the catalogue. There are a lot of tables though and a few coloured blocks.....if you are a Dropbox user, you can see the catalogue here.

Tim (totallockout)

• 5. Re: Problems with file size
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

More than half of your document size is "content streams" which, as I undertand things, is text and vector art, neither of which you can do much to compress. You can try replacing the vectors in ID with raster versions of the same art, if you can live with a loss of crispness.

Your next biggest chunk is Document Overhead. You can get rid of a lot of that using the methods in Eugene's link, but the bottom line is this file is probably never going to hit your 5mb target without a drastic loss in quality, if at all.