14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 8:23 PM by jjenkinsnm

Proxy Editing with Premiere Elements 10

jjenkinsnm

I just read the great post on how to proxy edit with version 7 at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390600?tstart=0, but I cannot find a way to save a preset with Premiere Elements 10 so I could then modify it to display previews in low-res and output in full HD. The online help from the program mentions "creating" presets, but then only describes how to slelect existing presets. Can anyone tell me how to make a new project preset, or better yet, if there is a built-in way to proxy edit with 10? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Proxy Editing with Premiere Elements 10
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jjenkinsnm

As I recall the proxy methods of Ozpeter et al had their origins back in the days of trying to do AVCHD editing with Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 (a 32 bit application with the limits of a 32 bit system et al). If you have Premiere Elements 10 Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, you should have a 64 bit application running in a 64 bit system and utilizing fully the 64 bit resources. Why do you seek a proxy method assumed for AVCHD editing with Premiere Elements 10? As I see it, you would be bettter served by adding more RAM and hard drive space to the system you have. What is your computer processor? Nonetheless...

I was deeply involved in this subject back in 2009 elsewhere. And, the specific thread that evolved has a very comprehensive and detailed presentation for Robert Johnston approach (called by some, not true proxy method) and the approaches of Ozpeter and paul440 (called true proxy methods). All of this is found in an extremely long thread elsewhere

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51145

I would ask you to check out initially post #7 and #72. Post #72 offers an overview of the situation as well as a detailed how to which included the use of Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. Also, please check out post # 64 paul440's approach which is similar to Ozpeter's. Earlier methods referenced versions 4 and 7. I have not looked at this matter in a while, but my initial impression is that if what I described (post #72) can be done with Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 then why not Premiere Elements 10? But I come full circle with the question why do you want to do this in Premiere Elements 10 at all?

I do not visit nor answer questions at another forum, so, if you have any questions about the thread whose link is posted, please ask me here in your Adobe thread.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Proxy Editing with Premiere Elements 10
            jjenkinsnm Level 1

Thank you for your quick response. My system has an AMD 1.5 GHz quad-core processor, 8 GB of RAM, and a 64 bit operating system, so it should be appropriate for Premiere Elements 10. Still, when I import 1080p 24 or 30 fps footage (MOVs) from my T3i the previews are jerky, which tells me that the sytem is overloaded. The rendered output is smooth. If I could edit lower resolution versions and substititue the high resolution versions when rendering output (a proper proxy) that would be ideal, but if not any tips for smoothing out the edit process are greatly appreciated. 

• 3. Re: Proxy Editing with Premiere Elements 10
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

More likely it's a mismatch between project settings and your video footage. In Timeline view, when you add a clip to your timelline, are you seeing red lines above those clips? This is a further indication that your project is not set up properly for your footage.

You should have enough power for this kind of footage. But, unless your project is set up to match that footage, you won't be working at maximum efficiency.

• 4. Re: Proxy Editing with Premiere Elements 10
                jjenkinsnm Level 1

Yes, I see a red line in the timeline above all of the clips. The footage was shot with a Canon T3i at 1920 x 1080, 24 fps and the project settings are DSLR 1080p 24. Should I use a different project setting, or select certain preferences for this setting? Thanks!

• 5. Re: Proxy Editing with Premiere Elements 10
                  jjenkinsnm Level 1

PS - Should I transcode footage before importing it to edit? If so, which converter and codec do you recommend?

• 6. Re: Proxy Editing with Premiere Elements 10
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

jjenkinsnm

As you consider the comments of SG, I would ask this about the following that you wrote...

Still, when I import 1080p 24 or 30 fps footage (MOVs) from my T3i the previews are jerky, which tells me that the sytem is overloaded. The rendered output is smooth.

In what I have quoted from your post, are you referring to the playback in the Edit Mode Monitor being smooth after rendering the Timeline content? Or, are you using the word render to refer to export, that is, your export play back is smooth?

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Proxy Editing with Premiere Elements 10
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

jjenkinsnm

Your project preset appears to be right on with regard to the source media that you describe.

NTSC

DLSR

1080p

DLSR 1080p24 (whose description includes 23.976 fps which is what your camera is said to offer)

appears right on to me

After you set that project preset, get into Media, and from there to the Timeline, is it this video the first drag into the Timeline?

Looking at this from another angle, what is the Properties description that you see when you right click the file's thumbnail in Media and select Properties? What are you seeing especially for frame rate?

And, what are you seeing in Interpret Footage/Frame Rate description when you right click the file's thumbnail in Media?

At anytime did the program ask permission to change the project preset that you had set in the new project dialog? If so, did you say yes or no?

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Proxy Editing with Premiere Elements 10
                        jjenkinsnm Level 1

The properties for the clips shows:

Type: MPEG Movie
                        Image Size: 1920x1080
                        Frame Rate: 23.976

The Interpret Footage settings show under Frame Rate the radio button for Use frame rate from file: 23.9750 is selected, and under Pixel Aspect Ratio the radio button for use pixel aspect ration from file is selected.

I never received a message to change the project preset.

As a test, I imported a clip that was shot at 1920x1080 30fps and added it to the timeline. I did not receive an error message, but this clip also has a red line above it on the timeline (as do the 24 fps clips).

Thanks for the help AT and SG.

• 9. Re: Proxy Editing with Premiere Elements 10
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

jjenkinsnm

For reasons that I have not figured out, your last message arrived as an email notification of an Adobe post, but it is not posted in your thread yet. In that post you wrote:

The properties for the clips shows:

Type: MPEG Movie
                          Image Size: 1920x1080
                          Frame Rate: 23.976

The Interpret Footage settings show under Frame Rate the radio button for Use frame rate from file: 23.9750 is selected, and under Pixel Aspect Ratio the radio button for use pixel aspect ration from file is selected.

I never received a message to change the project preset.

As a test, I imported a clip that was shot at 1920x1080 30fps and added it to the timeline. I did not receive an error message, but this clip also has a red line above it on the timeline (as do the 24 fps clips).

Thanks for the help AT and SG.

Based on the information supplied, I cannot see a reason why your video should be displaying with a red line over its content

IF

a. Your project preset = NTSC DLSR 1080p DLSR 1080p30 @ 23.97

b. You are dragging the import (1080p @ 23.7 progressive frames per second) from Media to Timeline as the first video to be placed on that Timeline

Please review these criteria and let us know if you spot anything that you have as not consistent with a and b.

Keep in mind, when you bring in a file that is 1080p30 into this project set for 1080p24, you would expect to get a red line over the 1080p30 content since there is a mismatch between file and the project settings.

Another important matter that I am not clear on...is your problem only in previewing? Or does the problem go to previewing as well as exported product?

Thanks.

ATR

Add On: After I submitted this post, I saw that your post which I found missing previously is now displaying in your thread.

• 10. Re: Proxy Editing with Premiere Elements 10
                            jjenkinsnm Level 1

To ensure a fresh start, I made a new project with the same project preset (DSLR 1080p 24) and added a few clips to the timeline. None of them had a red line above them until I applied an effect to one (like image control) and then the red line appeared above the clip. Is it possible to have the effects out of synch with the project preset? If so, how would I change that to ensure there are no conflicts? Thanks!

• 11. Re: Proxy Editing with Premiere Elements 10
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

jjenkinsnm

What you are seeing is normal. I do not see a flaw in it...by the book.

Your project preset is correct and is set to match the properties of your source media (1080p @ 29.97 progressive frames per second).

So, you should not be getting a red line over that content when it is dragged to the Timelines as the first drag to that Timeline. In fact, you should not see any colored line over it. And, from what you just wrote, you have no red line over your first drag to the Timeline content.

But, once you edit that video clip in anyway on the Timeline, the no colored line becomes a red line over the content situation. The implications of that being, the program telling you that you no longer have the best possible preview when that content is played back in the Edit Mode Monitor. So, you render the Timeline to get the best preview that the program can give. When the Timeline rendering is complete, that red line turns green to tell you that the program is giving you its best preview. From then onward (no more going back to the no colored line to tell you your preview is best, now it is a red/green indicator system....red, need Timeline rendering for best preview, and green you are getting the best preview.

So all so far is normal.

After all that is said and done, this phase of the troubleshooting seems to indicate you are OK.

Now the important question and answer that needs to be put forward and verified...

a. Is the playback of your rendered 1080p @23.97 progressive frames per second jerky after Timeline Rendering?

b. If so, is your problem only in previewing? Or does the problem go to export product as well as Timeline previewing?

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 12. Re: Proxy Editing with Premiere Elements 10
                                jjenkinsnm Level 1

Thanks for all of your help. You are correct - once I started hitting the Enter key after adding effects to every two or three clips the red line would turn to green, and the preview would be much smoother. Even viewing the clips to enter in and out points became much smoother than it had been before. It is still a little jerky, but much more livable than before I started rendering the preview frequently. The exported file is still playig smoothly. Thanks!

• 13. Re: Proxy Editing with Premiere Elements 10
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

jjenkinsnm

Thanks for the follow up. So glad that you are moving forward successfully with your Premiere Elements work.

Just a thought for later...every time you render the Timeline to get a better preview, whether you render photos or videos, the program automatically generates preview files: SD project, you end up with .avi preview files, HD project, you end with .mpg preview files). To keep things running well, it is a good idea to develop a mainenance program to get rid of the pile ups of these previews files which are by default in Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/version #.

Also, good idea to include in that maintenance program the conformed audio (Adobe Folder, Media Cache Folder) and conformed video (See Edit Menu/Preference/Media).files.

ATR

• 14. Re: Proxy Editing with Premiere Elements 10
                                    jjenkinsnm Level 1

Thanks for all of your help ATR!

One thing I noticed is that using my second, external monitor causes editing to be more jerky than when I only use the primary monitor. It must tax the system more than I thought. It is handy for color correction in particular, but I think in the future I will cut together the project without it and then turn it on to color grade before exporting.