3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2013 10:17 AM by Genevieve Laroche

Exported PDF's from FormsCentral show text until submitted to 3rd party application

cwrayusd

Hello,

I'm running into an issue when trying to export a group of PDF forms that were created in FormsCentral they do show text when opened with Adobe Reader.  However if another program attempts to read the PDF it does not show the text input by end users into the form.  If I print the PDF file to PDF and then attempt to index it with different software the submitted text is usable.  I'd like to find a way to not have another step in the process to print to PDF for an existing PDF.  I'm not sure if the text is showing up as a background layer that isn't visible to other applications or if it is potentially the font which is Trebuchet MS.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

• 1. Re: Exported PDF's from FormsCentral show text until submitted to 3rd party application
          Genevieve Laroche Adobe Employee

Your fillers definitely need to use an Adobe product to fill out and submit the PDF forms (either, Adobe Acrobat, the free Adobe Reader or Acrobat Mobile). When we genereate the PDF from a response all the fields are set to read only. It is possible that the 3rd party application you are using doesn't deal with this correctly. What is the 3rd party application? I can try it on our side and see if I can reproduce your issue.

Gen

• 2. Re: Exported PDF's from FormsCentral show text until submitted to 3rd party application
            cwrayusd Level 1

Hello Gen,

We are importing the forms into Banner Document Managment System.  Once they are saved as a PDF every part of the PDF is visible to the document except what the user has input.  Then when it is saved and searched for in Banner Document Management System the text no longer shows up when the PDF is opened.  They will show up if I print to PDF using CutePDF Writer and then upload into Banner Document Management System.  Banner Document Managment System is used to host all of the school's documents when they are submitted.

Thanks for your assistance!

Chris

• 3. Re: Exported PDF's from FormsCentral show text until submitted to 3rd party application
              Genevieve Laroche Adobe Employee

I do not know about Banner Document Managment System. You might want to check with them. It seems to me that they are not handling PDFs with form fields correctly. Our PDF response forms contains read-only fields populated with the selected response... My guess is that the pdf viewer that Banner Document Managment System is using doesn't deal well with fields (or maybe just read-only fields). Once you 'print to PDF' it flattens the document (removes the fields object and put the values as text on the PDF) which look like it something better supported by that 3rd party.

Gen