8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2013 9:04 PM by John T Smith

How can I accurately preview a movie that is being prepared for a video billboard?

marjvree

I'm working on a large - 1776 x 1000 pixels - video for a billboard and the transitions are not smooth. I'm at 30 fps which I think is ok (I'm not getting any specifications from the client other than the dimensions and file format which is .mov. I created a smaller version - 320 x 240 - which looked fine, but when I created the larger version, all of a sudden the same transitions are looking choppy. Is this because my monitor or CPU speed can't keep up with the larger amount of data when displaying it? That's what I'm hoping since I don't know what else to try ...

• 1. Re: How can I accurately preview a movie that is being prepared for a video billboard?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

These questions below may be for a different product... but the information you need to supply is the same, for the products you use

-Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

Also... exactly what are you editing?

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

For Mac http://mediainspector.massanti.com/

• 2. Re: How can I accurately preview a movie that is being prepared for a video billboard?
            marjvree Level 1

Hi John. Thanks for your interest - I actually created the video in Photoshop CS6 using the timeline feature (on an iMac running OS10.6) - it's a very simple animation using 5 basic layers - 1 background, 3 text and 1 image layer, with a short fade as the layers appear on the timeline. The smaller version worked great with smooth transitions, but when I created the larger version, the playback was choppy both on my machine and my client's, who is using a mac pro quad core, not sure about OS or video cards on hers ... both videos were exported using the adobe media encoder as quicktime movies, using the JPEG 2000 high quality preset at 30 fps. When previewing the larger file in photoshop - using the timeline play button - I noticed the fps rate was changing from green to red during some of the playback, and when I searched that on the adobe website, it mentioned that it would display as red when the cpu was not keeping up with the playback. If this is the case, I need to be able to reassure my client, who will then be handing the file off to a vendor, that it will display correctly on the video screen, but at this point I can't think of a way that I can do that because I'm not positive that's the case ...

• 3. Re: How can I accurately preview a movie that is being prepared for a video billboard?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

marjvree

Are you saying that Premiere Elements (any version) is not involved in your workflow?

Seems like you are saying that yours is a Photoshop CS6 Mac issue concerning a video feature in that program.

If so, have you posed your question in Photoshop CS6 Forum at Adobe? Always glad to help in the Premiere Elements Forum here, but I would suspect that those frequenting the forum that specializes in your program might be an advantage.

ATR

• 4. Re: How can I accurately preview a movie that is being prepared for a video billboard?
                marjvree Level 1

Thanks for the interest A.T. But my question is more philosophical - regardless of where I created this larger sized video, can I expect the limitations of my CPU cause it to stagger when playing while the same video at a smaller size plays smoothly. I've tried playing both versions of the exported files using photoshop, QuickTime player, and premiere pro (by adding the .mov file to the timeline) and in all three cases the playback is smooth for the smaller size and choppy for the larger one leading me to conclude that my CPU just can't handle the larger one and just want to confirm that with the professionals out ther before I hand the file off to my client. Is there anything else that may be causing this? And if so, how can I test-preview the video to see how it will actually play on a large video billboard - which is what the final intent is?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give ...

• 5. Re: How can I accurately preview a movie that is being prepared for a video billboard?

Since the program requirements are not the same for PreElements as those other programs, you really should ask in the Photoshop and/or Premiere Pro forums... if you in fact did not use PreElements

• 6. Re: How can I accurately preview a movie that is being prepared for a video billboard?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

marjvree

You wrote

But my question is more philosophical - regardless of where I created this larger sized video, can I expect the limitations of my CPU cause it to stagger when playing while the same video at a smaller size plays smoothly. I've tried playing both versions of the exported files using photoshop, QuickTime player, and premiere pro (by adding the .mov file to the timeline) and in all three cases the playback is smooth for the smaller size and choppy for the larger one leading me to conclude that my CPU just can't handle the larger one.

If so, where are the important details of the computer environment beyond "iMac running OS10.6)"? Your problem may evolve around your Photoshop and Premiere Pro project settings and source media properties (including compresson and wrapper format) and video card as well as level of computer optimizaton.

It would appear that you are basing your 1776 x 1000 16:9 billboard on a 320 x 240 4:3 low resolution model (when you say "smaller" you really mean smaller). Just curious, why did you opt for such a low resolution model. Scaling from 320 x 240 4:3 to 1776 x 1000 16:9 would seem to bring up some logistical problems.

Looking into the project settings for import or export, asking whether the Timeline content needs to be rendered if that is a feature of your programs, as well as the properties of the source media would seem warranted and addressed to Photoshop and Premiere Pro people.since those programs are your tools.

Maybe I am missing something, but most computers can handle 1920 x 1080 16:9, why not 1776 x 1000 after giving consideration for the atypical size? But I do not work with Photoshop and Premiere Pro, so I cannot talk to that for those versions. I can if Premiere Elements were involved.

The above are just my takes on the matters that you presented.

ATR

• 7. Re: How can I accurately preview a movie that is being prepared for a video billboard?
                      marjvree Level 1

Thank you for your thoughts - I thought I was posting in premiere pro, not elements so my apologies for that. And I didn't supply additional info re: my configuration since I have not altered anything beyond the standard setup both with regard to video cards and program or project settings - and my client is also running the standard config for her Mac Pro quad. If there are any settings that would help in this issue, I'd love to hear them.

As for the final sizes those were specified by the client - I'm assuming they came from the media company that is asking for the files - so I can't speak to them - I created the smaller size video first - it seemed fine - so I then created - not repurposed - the larger size in the same manner.

I was hoping that the premier pro community may have run into this issue before when rendering video and could confirm what I suspect but I'll have to reach out to a video producer I know and see what he has to say since I am clearly lost. I am we'll versed in the creative suite apps - though I mostly so print and email campaigns. I figured I'd give the photoshop timeline feature a try since I'm very comfortable with most of the app but this is my first attemp at creating a video and though it seemed to work fine for the smaller size I'm afraid I need a little advice on the larger one.

Thanks again for your responses ...

• 8. Re: How can I accurately preview a movie that is being prepared for a video billboard?

>the premier pro community

That would be at http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere

And, as far as computer configuration, please provide full information when you ask in the PPro forum

You mentioned CPU speed... which MAY be a part of the problem... but you never said what that is... so when you ask in the PPro forum, do be sure to provide all hardware details... CPU model and speed... plus the speed and number of hard drives... MAY have an effect

Such as the Information FAQ questions http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840