9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 4:13 PM by ceilr

Can I break links to graphics from Illustrator?

ceilr Level 1

Hi,

I prepared some test pages in InDesign, using graphics imported from Illustrator, to check grayscales with my print shop.  I imported because I wanted to be sure to have all the same variables, including size reduction.

Once I received the printed test pages, I went into all the Illustrator files and made the grayscale changes.

Now that I have the grayscales I want, I've gone back into the test pages to hand-write the grayscale percentages on the hard copies, and of course InDesign asks if I want to update the links.  Well, no, I  don't, because then everything linked to the page will come out looking the same.  it's valuable to have the different grayscales on record in case something happens to my printed copies and I need to print them again for reference.

Is there any way to break the Illustrator file links so that InDesign won't keep asking me to update them?  I've looked around in the dropdown menu of the Links panel and don't see anything (yet!)  A year from now I will surely open these pages again and forget that I don't want the links updated.

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Can I break links to graphics from Illustrator?
          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sure there is. Select all the links in InDesign's Links panel, and from

the flyout menu choose "embed link". Now the links will become part of

the InDesign document itself, and no longer connected to Illustrator.

Next (optional), select all the links again and choose "unembed link".

You will be given a choice if you want to link back to the original

files, or to save the links in a new location. Choose the second option

and you will have a separate copy of your Illustrator files, meaning

that if you change the first set of Illustrator files, ID will no longer

ask you to update your links.

Ariel

• 2. Re: Can I break links to graphics from Illustrator?
            ceilr Level 1

Hi again,

I can't select "Embed links" because it is greyed out.

I selected one object, some objects and all objects in the Links panel and no change.  There must be something else to do?    

• 3. Re: Can I break links to graphics from Illustrator?
              TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi there,

Firstly, that's Mr Ariel Esq. 8-)

Secondly, you should be able to embed links. If you can't perhaps it's

because the links need to be updated first?

Ariel

• 4. Re: Can I break links to graphics from Illustrator?
                ceilr Level 1

My apologies Mr. Ariel Esq.  (I've been a legal assistant in a previous life!)

I guess I am hung then, because I >cannot< update the links if I want to save the old ones.  It looks like one should not close the doc before going through all those operations?

Anyone else have a solution now that I seem to have burned the bridge?

• 5. Re: Can I break links to graphics from Illustrator?
                  HeyMikey Level 3

Hi ceilr,

Firstly, understand that links in a document are only placeholders; once you change the original link, the link is automatically broken (i.e., you can't keep "old" links in a document). If you made changes to the links, and saved the links with the same name (overwriting the original "old" links), you essentially have lost any attributes to those links--they must be updated in order to embed, print, etc. Likewise, embedding is not allowed except on up-to-date links, so they must be re-linked.

My suggestion is that if you are going to experiment with different variations of a linked file, you name them differently (i.e. Link-01.ai, Link-02.ai, etc.) so that you can link to the older files when needed. Unfortunately, it sounds like you have lost the option to use the previous links, since they seem to have been saved over themselves by using the same name. Indeed, it seems you have burned the bridge.

Cheers!

-Mikey

• 6. Re: Can I break links to graphics from Illustrator?
                    BonsaiGuy8

Hi ceilr,

Do you happen to have an old pdf proof? Would it be possible to make your marks and comments on a pdf rather than in InDesign? Your old grayscale values would still be there along with your new comments.

Just a thought as a last resort.

Best wishes.

• 7. Re: Can I break links to graphics from Illustrator?
                      ceilr Level 1

BonsaiGuy8, if you are saying that nothing will change in a .pdf upon opening and re-opening such a doc, then that is a very good idea!  Please confirm that this is the case?  Thanks.

• 8. Re: Can I break links to graphics from Illustrator?
                        BonsaiGuy8 Level 1

Hello ceilr,

That is correct. -But do you have a pdf that was created before the links were modified? If so, then you are good to go. If not, you can still create a pdf without updating the links but the images will be low resolution. It may be good enough for your purpose. It is easy to add comments and markups to the pdf.

Hope that helps!

Bonsai - a matter of life and limb.

• 9. Re: Can I break links to graphics from Illustrator?
                          ceilr Level 1

No, I didn't make a .pdf, but note that I also >have not< modified the links.  Every time I open this doc, I click on Do Not Update Links.  I had no idea low res would be an issue!