11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2013 3:41 PM by Eman Fu

how can an 'add to cart button' be incerted when the form reports to my PayPal account??

tiedyeparlorhi

Last month I asked this question and got a we do not support that type of work flow for an answer

so I wrote to PayPal the following

Aloha

because of our number of variables a standard PayPal cart did not work for our tie dye t-shirt web site tiedyeparlor.com

24 shirt styles 19 sizes and 6 colors overwhelms the limitations of the PayPal cart so we went with Adobe FormsCentral which collects the choices of the customer in payment fields and reports them to our PayPal account

the problem is that the form does not have an add to cart or return to shopping option

how can a 'add to cart'/'return to shopping button' be added at the summary page so that the customer does not need to check out one purchase at a time?? I would like the button to return to our home page

Mahalo for your help

Aloha

Dennis Shields

and I recieved the following reply

Hello Dennis Shields,

My name is Bryce with PayPal Merchant Technical Services. I enjoyed speaking with you and hope you found our conversation helpful.

A buy now button uses:

<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick">

HTTP string is cmd=_xclick

An add to cart uses:

<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_cart">

<input type="hidden" name="add" value="1">

HTTP string is cmd=_cart&add=1

The Adobe form would need to change the "cmd" and add the "add" command.

Alternatively, if it's capable of acting as a cart (tracking items added and sending them all to use at once) it can use cmd=_cart&upload=1

A PayPal button can support as many options as you have, however, it would need to be unhosted and the additional options added manually to the code we provide.

You can create a button as close as the button factory allows with these instructions and add the additional choices.

Answer Title: Website Payments Standard - Create a non-hosted and unencrypted button

Answer Link: https://ppmts.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/742

This ticket will remain pending for the next 7 days, if you have no further questions regarding this matter please reply and I will close this ticket.

Sincerely,

Bryce

Merchant Technical Services

PayPal, an eBay company

so my question to FormCentral is how do I impliment the suggestion that "The Adobe form would need to change the "cmd" and add the "add" command."

Aloha

Dennis Shields

• 1. Re: how can an 'add to cart button' be incerted when the form reports to my PayPal account??
          tiedyeparlorhi Level 1

Aloha

a description of the choice flow for our customer might help as the last answer I got for this question assumed I wanted to return to the form to add choices and I do not want to return to the form but to our home page

1 customer picks shirt style from home page

2 customer picks a shirt from samples on the page which links to the form for that shirt style [there are 24 forms one for each shirt style]

3 on the form customer picks color size and quantity gives info submits to PayPal summary page

4 PayPal gives option to PayPal pay or credit card pay  and then on click processes the payment

it is at that point prior to the completion payment process that I wish to add to cart and continue shopping by returning to our home page for an additional form report to be generated

Aloha

Dennis Shields

• 4. Re: how can an 'add to cart button' be incerted when the form reports to my PayPal account??
            Eman Fu Adobe Employee

Aloha Dennis,

The FormsCentral's PayPal integration uses PayPal's ExpressCheckout technology. We don't use PayPal's buy button or shopping cart. Instead, the form itself is a shopping cart. From the choice flow you described, I understand what you would like to achieve, but the way you use FormsCentral is not the way we designed it to do.

Here I would like to explain why I say our form itself is a shopping cart.

In the traditional shopping cart workflow, you don't always see your shopping cart. You browse the pages and when you see what you want to buy, you "add" the item into the shopping cart and then continues to browse. When you want to know what's in your shopping cart, you go to the shopping cart page, and the list of items with prices and amount is there.

However, the FormsCentral form works like an order form. All available items with their prices, choices and amount should be put in the form. The way you "add" an item to the shopping cart is simply choose it, through a radio button, a checkbox or a dropdown box. In this way, we don't need to show the user the shopping cart, since he is already seeing all the items he chooses in the form, which means the form itself is the shopping cart. That's why we name the button that submits the form "Proceed to Checkout".

This model may or may not fit what you need, but I suggest you to take a look at our "Clothing Order Form" template, which can be found under the Order category in the Create New Form tab in the FormsCentral Organizer. You can also browse other order forms to see if any of them fit your selling model.

I hope the above information is helpful to you. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have more questions.

Mahalo,

Eman Fu

Senior Computer Scientist

Adobe Systems Incorporated

• 5. Re: how can an 'add to cart button' be incerted when the form reports to my PayPal account??
              tiedyeparlorhi Level 1

Aloha Eman

I built our form using the 'clothing order form' as its starting point

unfortunately your answer does not address my request

the form acts like a shopping cart I get that

what I am requesting however is not an addition to the form but to the summit button

given the text from PayPal I included above the addition of an add to cart button seems to come after the form and not in the form itself

why can't the code suggestion from PayPal be implemented in the submit button ??

e.g.

HTTP string is cmd=_cart&add=1

The Adobe form would need to change the "cmd" and add the "add" command.

Alternatively, if it's capable of acting as a cart (tracking items added and sending them all to use at once) it can use cmd=_cart&upload=1

it seems that PayPal 'host' the button and that the addition of the add to cart feature only needs to be triggered by the 'cmd=_cart&add=1' or the 'cmd=_cart&upload=1' line, why can't that be simply changed from the current code in the submit button??

Mahalo for your attention to this

Aloha

Dennis Shields

• 6. Re: how can an 'add to cart button' be incerted when the form reports to my PayPal account??
                Eman Fu Adobe Employee

Aloha Dennis,

If the integration with PayPal shopping cart is what you want, then I am sorry that our current PayPal integration probably doesn't fit your need. As I mentioned in my previous reply, we used PayPal ExpressCheckout, which is different from the Website Payments Standard technology mentioned by the PayPal service agent. The method suggested by PayPal only works with the buy button, which is part of the Website Payments Standard technology.

The way how our submit button work is very different. We upload the form data to our own server, which then talks to PayPal using the ExpressCheckout API to set up a payment session, and then the user's browser is directed to PayPal to make a payment. The "cmd=_cart" method, unfortunately, does not fit into our current implementation. We can implement our own shopping cart-like functionality, but that's up to our Product Manager's decision and might not happen in the near future.

To use FormsCentral forms with your business, so far you'll have to put all 24 styles of shirts into one form to avoid multiple checkouts.

Mahalo,

Eman Fu

• 7. Re: how can an 'add to cart button' be incerted when the form reports to my PayPal account??
                  tiedyeparlorhi Level 1

Aloha Eman

Mahalo for the reply

I have also talked to tech support at PayPal who inform that the express checkout API used by Adobe does not allow add to cart and that for an add to cart button to be empowered that Adobe would need to allow me to modify the html code for the form which does not seem to be an option you will allow

as to putting all 24 shirts and 6 colors and 11 sizes into one form that calls for almost 1600 payment fields and the form only allows 99

I solved that part by making 24 forms one for each shirt type and that works but it does not conform enough with the shopping cart paradigm understood through normal web experience

see : http://www.tiedyeparlor.com

a customer can only buy one shirt style color and size at a time and must complete checkout prior to continuing shopping which has caused reports of some confusion

you say that this is a decision for project management is there some way to put this shopping cart of Adobe's own on a faster track??

as it is the clothing store form template is incomplete and does not perform as one might expect from just reviewing the template prior to subscribing to this service

is this a topic on the suggested  'idea' page ??

is implementation of this shopping cart technology, which seems rather commonplace, too difficult for Adobe FormsCentral??

if so is the capeability suggestion implied by the clothing store template unattained??

Mahalo for your attention to this

Aloha

Dennis Shields

• 8. Re: how can an 'add to cart button' be incerted when the form reports to my PayPal account??
                    Eman Fu Adobe Employee

Aloha Dennis,

Putting all 24 styles of shirts on the form doesn't necessary require 1600 purchase fields. If your shirt price is only based on shirt style, and the color and size won't affect the price, I'll suggest this design:

shirt form.PNG

And the purchase fields are configured like this:

shirt form purchase fields.PNG

By following this pattern, you'll only need 24 purchase fields. Of course, this doesn't solve all possible purchase combination. For example, if a user wants to purchase different color and/or sizes for shirt style 1, he will need to fill out one more form, but if you have 3 sets of color/size/quantity fields for each style, users can purchase up to 3 variation of each style, and you'll need only 24*3=72 purchase fields. I believe this design will be much better than the 24-form design you have right now. What do you think?

Mahalo,

Eman Fu

• 9. Re: how can an 'add to cart button' be incerted when the form reports to my PayPal account??
                      tiedyeparlorhi Level 1

Aloha Eman

there are also 4 different prices dependant on the size choice [bigger cost more] so given that additional variable I don't think your suggestion works or am I missing something?? and that still leaves the continue shopping question unanswered

even then I had to divert 8 baby sizes to a custom order page in order to make 24 forms work

Mahalo for the illustration tho

Aloha

Dennis Shields

• 10. Re: how can an 'add to cart button' be incerted when the form reports to my PayPal account??
                        tiedyeparlorhi Level 1

Aloha Eman

an additional problem with what you suggested is what is reported in the checkout summary

in order to have the style, color, size, and quanity, to show up at checkout required individual payment fields for each color, six, and for the size/price, one of 11, for each shirt type

Mahalo for any suggestions you might have

Aloha

Dennis Shields

• 11. Re: how can an 'add to cart button' be incerted when the form reports to my PayPal account??
                          Eman Fu Adobe Employee

Aloha Dennis,

Yeah, as I mentioned, it has some limitations. The contnue shopping is a good product feature for FormsCentral, we will definitely consider it for the future release.

We actually have a new idea page for customers to submit the ideas they have to improve FormsCentral. We have quite a few of features that are inspired by the ideas our customers submitted. Could you kindly describe what you want at this page:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/create-idea!input.jspa?container=4522&containerType=14

Once you submit your idea, it'll be added into our new idea database. Our product management team will review those ideas and have the development team implement them based on their priorities.

I am sorry that I cannot solve your problems, and thank you so much for providing such great ideas to us.

Mahalo,

Eman Fu

1 person found this helpful