3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 8:19 AM by Peter Spier

Help with Margins

soleydflr

I have a 46 page document that I will print as booklet.  It is on 8.5 x 11 paper.  I have the text frames all the way to the margin edge using 0 margins and I still get a large area of unprintable white space on the paper.  It ends up looking like I am using a 1.0 inch margin when really I want it to go as close to the edge as possible.  What am I missing.  I set the margins to zero so that I could try to force it closer to edge but still it has a set amount of space.  Is there a setting that I have not chosen?  I see the margin line (Pink) and I see the Page line (Black) but if I move a text frame anywhere outside the Pink line, it does not print even though there is still about 1/2 inch of paper.  Is there an override?  I hope that makes sense.  Please help.

• 1. Re: Help with Margins
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There will be an unprintable margin around the edge of the sheet on most printers, so that would account for around a quarter inch of white space. I suspect the rest may be due to creating a PDF, then printing that from Acrobat with "fit to Printable area" which would scale down so the entire 8.5 x 11 fits inside the printable area on the page.

• 2. Re: Help with Margins
            soleydflr Level 1

There is no PDF on this document.   I am using InDesign.  All I need to know is how to do I get the margin to go to the edge of the paper.  Even if I select 0 margins, it does move them to the page edge indicated by the black line on the screen.  Please help.

• 3. Re: Help with Margins
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Maybe you should back up and describe the process in detail for how you are setting up the page size, the margin settings, and your printer and the print settings. Some screen captures of a page and the printer setup dialog would be useful. You can embed them in your post by using the camera icon on the web page like this:

CameraIcon.png