19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2013 10:55 AM by conroy

Font size problem, it's suddenly wrongly changing with resolution

EcchiOli

Hello !

It's been two weeks my Photoshop CS5 has started behaving abnormally. Could I humbly ask for your help, please ?

An image being worth a thousand words, I made a visual description :

photoshop-resolution-problem.jpg
      (not sure how the forums work here, I also uploaded it here)

In the past, I could open any picture I wanted, and type within that image, the text would always look the same. The font size, especially, would remain the same. For instance, Segoe Print 18 points would always have the same appearance, on any opened picture.

And then, approximatively two weeks ago, I occasionally noticed problems, the fonts, at the same size of usual, were suddenly gigantic. I eventually nailed where it came from, the image resolution.

If the image res is of 72, then the fonts look the same as of usual. If the image res is above, the fonts look larger.

To make the fonts look the same as usual, I have to manually change resolution, with a Image > Image Size, replace the resolution with 72, and then, since the pixels dimensions have fallen after the resolution change, write again the initial image pixel size.

For the life of me, I don't understand what I may have done wrong. I'm not blaming the program, I must have ticked something without noticing, somewhere.

A friend did the test on his machine, and he didn't have that issue.

Here are my program settings, if they're relevant (mirrored here) :

photoshop-resolution-problem-my-settings.jpg

If you can help, you will have saved a poor editor, and you will have my eternal gratitude !

• 1. Re: Font size problem, it's suddenly wrongly changing with resolution
          Level 5

EcchiOli wrote:

…It's been two weeks my Photoshop CS5 has started behaving abnormally…

That is almost always a sign that some preferences file has become corrupted.

The first thing to do is to trash and re-set your Photoshop preferences.

To re-create the preferences files for Photoshop, start the application while holding down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS). Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?

Make sure you have applied any available updates to CS5.  I don't know if there are any for the Windows version of the Photoshop application, as I'm a Mac user.

• 2. Re: Font size problem, it's suddenly wrongly changing with resolution
            conroy Level 5

Stop! Don't reset preferences. station_two is clueless.

Your image with Verdana 15 pt at 600 ppi and 72 ppi shows that you're getting the correct result when specifying the type size in points, which is a physical measure (1 pt = 1/72 inch). At 600 ppi versus 72 ppi, a given font will cover 600/72 = 8.33 times as many pixels in width and in height.

If you were previously getting the same pixel coverage at varying resolutions, you were probably specifying the type size in pixels instead of points. (At 72 ppi, 1 point is equivalent to 1 pixel, so you don't notice any difference between points and pixels at 72 ppi.)

• 3. Re: Font size problem, it's suddenly wrongly changing with resolution
              Level 5

No need for me to stoop to the deplorable level of the previous poster.

I will just point out that I did not read past the part of of your OP that I quoted.  If what you wrote is true, I stand by my suggestion.  If something was working before and then "suddenly" changes, re-setting Photoshop preferences is the first thing to try.

Again, I took you at your word, and have not read the rest of your wordy original post, nor past the first sentence of the previous, abusive post, nor do I plan to.

• 4. Re: Font size problem, it's suddenly wrongly changing with resolution
                conroy Level 5

station_two, you'll maybe provide advice instead of rubbish if you do actually read posts instead of ignoring the title then reading only the very first sentence () with no context.

• 5. Re: Font size problem, it's suddenly wrongly changing with resolution
                  conroy Level 5

station_two wrote:

"[...] nor past the first sentence of the previous, abusive post, nor do I plan to."

Then remain in ignorance. Your problem. Well, it would be only your problem except you'll probably go on to misinform others who post questions here.

• 6. Re: Font size problem, it's suddenly wrongly changing with resolution
                    charles badland Level 4

Hello,

Thanks for posting the screen-grab. From what I can tell, the fonts are behaving normally.  Font point size is based in “real-world” measurement; a point is 1/72 inch.  So when you increase the PPI resolution (without resampling) the image becomes “smaller” (print size, that is) so a 15 point font will look larger.

If you decrease PPI (without resampling) the (print size) image becomes larger. (you are just telling the pixels they are each 1/72 inch instead of 1/300 inch in size) So a 15 point font will then look smaller.

Think of a penny laid on a postcard vs a penny placed on a poster.  The coin will look much larger on the small postcard.

PPI, Resample, Resolution and Image Size can be confusing terms (no thanks to Adobe for any clarification). 

EDIT:

Good grief, I posted this about 40 minutes ago as post # 1. Don't know why it is after all other posts!

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Font size problem, it's suddenly wrongly changing with resolution
                      Level 5

charles badland wrote:

…the fonts are behaving normally…

Then the OP would have lied when he said it was working as he expected up until two weeks ago.

• 8. Re: Font size problem, it's suddenly wrongly changing with resolution
                        conroy Level 5

station_two wrote:

[...] Then the OP would have lied [...]

Behave yourself!

• 9. Re: Font size problem, it's suddenly wrongly changing with resolution
                          conroy Level 5

charles badland wrote:

EDIT:

Good grief, I posted this about 40 minutes ago as post # 1. Don't know why it is after all other posts!

There have been forum server problems today. Maybe not fully fixed at the moment when you posted.

• 10. Re: Font size problem, it's suddenly wrongly changing with resolution
                            charles badland Level 4

S2-

I think the OP was (is?) confused as to how PPI,  Resolution,  Document Size and Resample work, and their influence on point-based font size.

• 11. Re: Font size problem, it's suddenly wrongly changing with resolution
                              Level 5

charles badland wrote:

S2-

I think the OP was (is?) confused as to how PPI,  Resolution,  Document Size and Resample work, and their influence on point-based font size.

Charles,

That confusion has absolutely nothing to do with the assertion that it was working before and now, two weeks later, it doesn't.   I don't care what the problem is; if it happens suddenly, it's most likely a corrupted preferences issue.  If one can't trust the veracity of the poster, why bother?

Besides, it does no harm to trash the preferences from time to time.  If you record an action while you set the prefs the way you want them, you can recreate your preferences with one mouse click the next time.  It's trivial.

• 12. Re: Font size problem, it's suddenly wrongly changing with resolution
                                conroy Level 5

station_two wrote:

If one can't trust the veracity of the poster, why bother?

The poster provided plenty of good information including screenshots. Charles and I had no trouble seeing why Ps is behaving as it is for EcchiOli.

As you declared, you did not read beyond the first sentence, so how dare you judge the "veracity of the poster"?

Why can't you accept liability for your own error, station_two?

station_two wrote:

Besides, it does no harm to trash the preferences from time to time.  If you record an action while you set the prefs the way you want them, you can recreate your preferences with one mouse click the next time.  It's trivial.

LOL!!! Your attempts to wriggle out of being seen to make a mistake are comical (and pitiful).

• 13. Re: Font size problem, it's suddenly wrongly changing with resolution
                                  EcchiOli Level 1

Hello again !

Seeing the mess my question raised, I felt shy and took my time to reply, haha.

@ Station_two

First thing, thank you for attempting to help, it does matter

Now, though, don't take it badly, but I think you really shouldn't start your advice to someone having an issue with : « The first thing to do is to trash and re-set your Photoshop preferences. » It's like getting rid of a cockroach with a flamethrower, it would technically work, but this would be a total waste. Really, your advice was bad in that regard :-/

@ Conroy, and @Charles Badland :

YES !

That's it ! Points VS pixels !

I had no idea points were relative to the image document dimensions, but now you've explained it, it's making sense !

I suppose I must have mistakenly changed the Type's unit from px to pt, and didn't notice it at all. And then, the difference between px and pt wasn't big enough for me to think something had changed around that setting, which led me to believe I had always been having my fonts in points, instead of having them in pixels as they really were.

Really, thank you, thank you SO MUCH ! That's a huge relief, I can now work with much less distress

You have my gratitude

• 14. Re: Font size problem, it's suddenly wrongly changing with resolution
                                    Level 5

EcchiOli wrote:

@ Station_two

Now, though, don't take it badly, but I think you really shouldn't start your advice to someone having an issue with : « The first thing to do is to trash and re-set your Photoshop preferences. » It's like getting rid of a cockroach with a flamethrower, it would technically work, but this would be a total waste. Really, your advice was bad in that regard :-/

No, your starting your question with a false premise is much, much worse.  You said it was a recent problem that started recently.  That was a falsehood.  Plainly, you lied.  Shame on you! 

Second, your flamethrower analogy is as inappropriate as it is irrelevant.  Re-setting preferences is not destructive at all.  It merely gets rid of any corrupt preference files, and your preferences can be recreated easily.  It's a trivial task, totally, that takes only a couple of minutes to accomplish.

It is an honored, accepted, long-time maintenance procedure.  Macintosh Troubleshooting 101, right up there with Repairing Permissions with Apple's Disk Utility.  I use it routinely as a preventive maintenance measure.

If you record yourself while you are re-setting all your settings the way you like them, you will generate an Action that will allow you to recreate them with a single mouse click anytime you need to in the future.

By calling it "bad advice" you have publicly shamed yourself.

You clearly are as clueless as another poster claimed I was. 

That other poster has repeatedly and consistently revealed his true nature and exposed himself in his/her interactions with many other users, not just with me.  People with that poor of an upbringing can't help themselves, so I just ignore him like one does a gnat.  What is your excuse, EcchiOli?  Mine is that I'm a septuagenarian with honorably diagnosed fronto-temporal lobar brain damage causing irritability and strong reactions to aggression.

I trust your user ID is conspicuous enough to remember, so I'll make an effort to ignore you from now on, but at my age I can't promise I will know who you are, ingrate.

A simple thank you , like the one you started your post with, would have sufficed!

• 16. Re: Font size problem, it's suddenly wrongly changing with resolution
                                      charles badland Level 4

I was wondering how long that would take...

• 17. Re: Font size problem, it's suddenly wrongly changing with resolution
                                        Level 5

I know, Charles.  It took me a long five hours to see that post.  Imagine that! 

• 18. Re: Font size problem, it's suddenly wrongly changing with resolution
                                          EcchiOli Level 1

I guess even talented graphists can be stupid trolls when they're on the internet. At least, I hope they behave better in real life

No, your starting your question with a false premise is much, much worse.  You said it was a recent problem that started recently.  That was a falsehood.  Plainly, you lied.  Shame on you!

Nope.jpg : the problem started recently.

If you had made the tremenduous effort to read past my first lines, you would have read that I wrote « I'm not blaming the program, I must have ticked something without noticing, somewhere. »

And, obviously, so did I. I must have visited the options for whatever random reason there might be, clicked to view the available options, and ticked back the units in points instead of pixels, not noticing the difference between px and pt. Again : « I'm not blaming the program, I must have ticked something without noticing, somewhere. »

As for the advice to reset preferences, have you considered the idea some people may have strongly customized their preferences, aren't experienced enough to have made a backup of what isn't using the default options ? These people would grieve following your advice, and you would make them lose a lot of precious time.

No hard feelings, though, about your ridiculous behaviour. You amuse me, and we all need a good laugh whenever we can have one.

I'm glad you took the time to be a troll, thank you

• 19. Re: Font size problem, it's suddenly wrongly changing with resolution
                                            conroy Level 5

I agree with you, EcchiOli, except for one thing...

"talented graphists"

There's never been evidence of talent.

On a serious note, resetting preferences would not have helped, anyway, because that would actually set the Type units to the default of points, which is the very problem that was afflicting you.

By the way, station_two's suggestion of resetting preferences as "preventive maintenance" seems nonsensical, too.