8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2013 6:40 AM by Rick Gerard

RotoScope ?

Netcommercial Level 1

Hello All,

I watched  a few tut's on Rotoscoping. Got it, great mask. OK now how do you render it or execute it? The how do you see the results? In my case I am removing a sign from a building. I masked it with RB however when I use the space bar although I masked it from the beginning or first frame. About a few frames in it, the mask is not visible anymore. Like I KF the mask 20 frames and then it stops? 

Then how do I see my Background results to further edit, I am only seeing the sign I cut out. Albeit, only 2 frames worth? Every video shows how to mask, feather and tweek it. Did not find how to execute or further edit with that footage.... Someone who used RBrusb...?

EDIT_ no spell check as you type here did not see it until posted.

• 1. Re: RotoScope ?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You're referring to using Roto Brush, not rotoscoping? If so, then I strongly recommend that you go through some specific materials about Roto Brush:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2010/04/roto-brush-in-after-effects-cs.html

See this page about actual rotoscoping:

http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/animating-shape-paths-masks.html

Regarding the Roto Brush matte only extending for 20 frames, read up on Roto Brush spans here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3bf812c123007fb8513559df126b537c840-80 00.html

• 2. Re: RotoScope ?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Screen Shot 2013-06-04 at 8.14.34 PM.png

see the little abc with the check mark... There's you spell check.

As far as Rotobrush goes it's all about span and propagating forward. This creates an alpha channel that you can use in the main comp. You can also invert the mask. If you have a 3 minute long shot Rotobrush is going to have quite a bit of trouble. If the shot is 3 to 6 seconds Rotobrush can handle it fairly well.

Todd gave you some good starting materials. Rotobrush is not intuative. You have to follow the instructions carefully. Depending on the shot I find using Mocha or just doing the roto by hand with the mask tools can be faster. For certain shots you can't beat Rotobrush. If you'll tell us more about what you are trying to do we may be able to point you to the most efficient solution.

• 3. Re: RotoScope ?
              Netcommercial Level 1

Hi Todd Thanks for the direct links. I read and watched them all. All new ones compared to the other three I have watched. I have a better grasp of it I think.  Thanks for the notes Rick. I will post some pics for clarity and entertainment.

What I do realize is that Roto won't remove my actor from said background, per' se. It will mask it to lay it over a duplicate, layer allowing me a bit of free reign to add assets onto the original layer, so I can then have my actor walk in front of those assets instead of behind them. (As noted in pics)  To achieve a still clean background I would need to do a video grab in PrePro and then lay my Scoped / masked actor atop of the screen grab, to then have my tracked actor walk on that scene. If I have a clean set before actor walks on, in the exact position that the other background was, or is. Due to my understanding Roto will not remove an asset from a background as say Camera Track 4d, is it?

Although I am a bit foggy on this quote from Adobe Help:

"Draw your masks on a white solid layer with its Video (eyeball) switch off, above the (locked) footage layer. This way, you run no risk of accidentally moving the footage layer when you manipulate the mask, and you can also much more easily apply tracking data to the mask. (You apply the tracking data to the invisible solid layer that holds the mask.) This also means that you don't lose your cached RAM preview frames each time you manipulate the mask."

Does this mean I should create a Solid layer atop of my layer to be scoped? If so, do I Opacity (0%) it out to see through it atop of my comp? I am still a bit foggy on the AI of AE. As if "it" knows to assign the track to that shape. Then use that shape for what? As the new Layer atop of the desired BG? ( was I clear there?)

So after reading further my original question should have been where or how to stretch timeline in Layer comp when Roto. The answer would be the drag bar under the timeline indicator can be adjusted via dragging it. As far as executing it or enabling it. Make sure KF's are enabled before starting this and when at the end of the Roto you will then switch over to your Comp and not your Layer there you will see your Mask. Then this is where I would need to duplicate the layer I just did the scoping on. . Remove the Roto effect on it, to then have my masked layer atop of my foreground. Albeit your actor is still in it, just under your mask. Where you could as mentioned above use a screen grab and when I need my actor to enter the building in my case. Finagle some sweet editing, from the masked layer to the original underneath. However, it won't remove an actor from a background to leave me with a clean background layer...(Right?)

Thanks for helping me out on this appreciated.

Regards

NC

Those pics for clarity:

HWb4Mir.PNGAftMHW.PNG

• 4. Re: RotoScope ?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Although I am a bit foggy on this quote from Adobe Help:

"Draw your masks on a white solid layer with its Video (eyeball) switch off, above the (locked) footage layer. This way, you run no risk of accidentally moving the footage layer when you manipulate the mask, and you can also much more easily apply tracking data to the mask. (You apply the tracking data to the invisible solid layer that holds the mask.) This also means that you don't lose your cached RAM preview frames each time you manipulate the mask."

See this video, in which I show the rotoscoping technique described in that part of After Effects Help:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-by-video/adobe-after-effects-cs5-motion-tracking-and-rotos coping/

• 5. Re: RotoScope ?
                  Netcommercial Level 1

Great Video to explain the layer. Appreciated, watched, and saved.

• 6. Re: RotoScope ?

It's also important to note that you only need to rotoscope this footage from where the man enters center pane of the right group of windows until he exits that area. I'm guessing that this would be only a few frames. Just duplicate your layer, set new in and out points to cover the area you need to roto, apply the roto, then used the rotobrushed layer as a track matte for the Help Wanted sign. A little work with the matte choker and you should be good to go.

• 7. Re: RotoScope ?
                      Netcommercial Level 1

Thanks Rick, that is all there is too it.. Do you know how to move a track mask in Mocha  as one unit? I am manually KF the track matte over there and it hits a bump in the footage and the flies off point. Rather then tweek all 4 corners to re attach for KF the Matte over there can I just move that 4 point matte as one unit without having to re-adjust each point back on point?  This footage turned out to be a real challenge. As I cannot seem to get stabalize to work on the main footage.. and tracking in AE is not working as those windows have NO texture and when I pan the track flies off of there. Unless I am not understanding something here for ease. I see to not find a way to set that sign in the window without it jittering like a speed freak. (manual KF) I moved the sign up to the top window and learned my lesson on creating markers to add stuff later.... But as for now and trying to fix this... Not even worring about the actor walking in front of the sign, as mentioned I moved it to a top window (path of least resistence) Now I am dealing with a bit of a jitter in my footage where the sign as mentioned, is gyrating as the camera is not Locked down firmly as well as the chase in the Pan....

• 8. Re: RotoScope ?

See my other post on your Mocha tracking question.