7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2013 7:31 AM by BearG

New Build for editing video from multiple GoPros and AVCHD

I would really appreciate some opinions on a new build for "enthusiast level" video editing and photography. Our video sources are a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition, GoPro Hero 2, DSLR and an AVCHD camcorder (MPEG-4 AVC / H.264), edited using Premiere Pro CS6. I'd like to stay around $2,000 +/- $200.  I came up with a system as a starting point, but it seems there are so many versions of each component that are slightly different, I'm not sure which items provide the most performance/value. Please share any suggestions whatsoever, from a totally different build to right down to minor tips or preferences.

1Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5GHz CPU    $280I would like to overclock

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H Motherboard

$145Good per recent online reviews. Other suggestions?
      3G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM$125Should I go with 32 MB for this system?
      4Gigabyte GV-N670C-2GD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2048M $370Other recommendations? How about a 3 GB 660 Ti for $330?
      5Corsair CMPSU-850AX Professional Series Gold AX850 PSU$170Does this have enough headroom?
      6Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler$30Is this enough cooling for a Haswell overclock?
      7Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower ATX Gaming Computer$82Big, high air flow, cheap. Thoughts?
      8Samsung 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 256GB SATA 6.0G SSD$240C: OS, Program Files, Page File?
      9(2) Western Digital WD Black 2TB 7,200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HD ($160 ea x 2)$320D: Media, Projects  E: Export, Scratch
      10  Seagate Barracuda EP 3TB 7,200RPM SATA 6.0Gbps 3.5$140F: Backups     Any recommendations on best way to do backups?
      11LG Black 14X BD-R burner ($60), Dell Ultrasharp 24" IPS Monitor ($225)$285Other Suggestions?

A few more questions....

12) Given the rest of the configuration, any significant benefit to going RAID 0 using the motherboard controller? If so, what combination of drives would you get?

13) Is there anything I'm missing where I could spend an extra 10% and get at least 10% more performance or reliability, or save 10% or 20% for a machine that is practically as fast and as reliable? 

14) Would you recommend Win 8 or Win 7 Professional or other?

Sorry for all the questions. I haven't built my own in years and I'd really like this to go smoothly.  Please reply to whatever you are willing to answer.

• 1. Re: New Build for editing video from multiple GoPros and AVCHD
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Looks like a very good build for an 'enthousiast' level machine. Well done. There are a few remarks though.

The GTX 670 is overkill on a 4-core system with only 2 HDD's and only 16 GB memory and may still be overkill when you opt for 32 GB memory. You could save quite a bit by choosing the GTX 650 Ti Boost or the GTX 660.

For OS, programs and pagefile a 128 GB Samsung 840 Pro is enough, no need to go for a 256 GB version.

A third HDD for previews would be nice to add.

Sorry, could not come up with any more criticisms.

PS. You have to realize, in light of your Topic description, that multicam edits with GoPro3 material and CS6 will bring even the stoutest machine to its knees. From that perspective and disregarding the budget consequences, a hexa core i7-39xx on a X79 platform may be better, unless you convert the GoPro material to Cineform first.

• 2. Re: New Build for editing video from multiple GoPros and AVCHD
            JEShort01 Level 4

Agree w/ Harm - great build! Additional comments...

- great price for the HAF case!

- I would go for the 32GB considering the rest of your build

- AX850 is right-sized

- 212 EVO is fine; you could add a fan for push/pull cooling

• 3. Re: New Build for editing video from multiple GoPros and AVCHD
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your #10 - as well as copying files for backups, do be sure to make a full backup of your boot drive

The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm
              Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to

make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden

registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore

the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything

• 4. Re: New Build for editing video from multiple GoPros and AVCHD
                BearG Level 1

First, thanks to each of you for your helpful replies.

Ok, dropping to a GTX660 and 128 GB SSD saved $300. I'll use it to bump up the memory to 32 GB and add another fan and still have $150 left over.

I have $460 budgeted for the WD and Seagate disks. I could add the extra $150 and my $200 contingency money and still be in my max budget.  So if you had $800 for your non-SSD disk configuration, what quantity and size drives would you get? Would it make sense to set up a BIOS-controlled RAID? I still wouldn’t be able to afford an Areca controller. My motivation would be for performance increase with reasonable reliability.  I don’t have deadlines so it is not a big deal to be delayed due to a drive failure as long as I didn’t lose my work.  Or should I just stick with the WDs and Seagate? If I stay with my original disk configuration, to Harm's comment, could I use the Seagate for backups and previews?

Harm, I had read your previous posts regarding GoPro material, so I started with trying to spec an i7-3930k build, but that powerful processor deserves more ram, better graphics card and a real RAID array, pushing me in the $3,500 - $4,500 price range.  I just couldn't justify it as a hobby, so dropped back to the 3770k, and then they released the new 4770k. I guess I will just have to be patient and use Cineform to convert everything.

John, thanks for the backup recommendation. So should I use Image-for-Linux or would it be Image-for-Windows if I my OS is Windows 7 Pro? Or should I consider Linux as an alternate OS?

• 5. Re: New Build for editing video from multiple GoPros and AVCHD
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you will re-read the description after the link I posted... the program runs from a bootable CD, which you make, so it is completely independent of Windows

• 6. Re: New Build for editing video from multiple GoPros and AVCHD
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

The 1155 platform has some limitations, the most important one being the limited number of available PCIe lanes. The consequence is that it is not advisable to add a dedicated raid controller to such a system, because a PCIe-8x controller leaves only 8 lanes for the video card, so the available bandwidth of the video card is reduced from PCIe-16x to PCIe-8x, which effectively reduces the video card performance by around 10 - 15%.

So you have to use BIOS or software raid on such a system. Basically three sorts of raids are supported:

1. Striped arrays, raid0
                      • The drawback is the lack of redundancy, one disk fails and all data is lost, but with two disks in (r)aid0 you have double the performance over a single disk.
                    2. Mirrored arrays, raid1 which essentially keeps a copy of the first disk on the second disk, so no performance increase.
                    3. Parity arrays, raid5 which gives redundancy (read safety against disk failure) but is slow and carries a large overhead for the CPU and requires at least 3 disks to give only around 0.5 x (n-1) x T in transfer rate, compared to a single disk.

The only raid that makes sense on such a system is raid0 but is it worth the risk of data loss? Often it is better to just use single disks, but spread the load as much as possible, within reason.

In your case, you could consider the following disk setup:

• C: SSD for OS, programs & pagefile. SATA6G
                    • D: SSD Samsung 840 Pro 256+ GB for media cache & previews, because of the fast access and high transfer rates, while still having good 'stable state' performance. SATA6G
                    • E: WD Black or Seagate Barracude 7200.14 for projects. SATA6G if available.
                    • F: WD Black or Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 for media. SATA6G if available.
                    • G: WD Black or Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 for exports. SATA3G
                    • H: SATA DVD or BD burner. SATA3G

Then you also need a backup disk, possibly connected over eSATA or USB3.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I did that so you understand my considerations.

• 7. Re: New Build for editing video from multiple GoPros and AVCHD
                      BearG Level 1

Thanks Harm! Exactly the level of detail I needed to understand the reasoning behind the recommendations.