4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2013 6:45 AM by Allynn Wilkinson

Best way to organise multiple large clips and hundreds of subclips

ricdanger24

Situation

I have the task of producing a suite of short 2 minute videos comprising highlights of several hours of footage in multiple large files.

I want to extract and manage the highlights in a non-destructive way and organise them according to subject matter.

I would then use these in several projects to create the highlights videos required.

I am using Adobe CC, so it's CS6.

My approach so far is to:

1. Import all the footage into a single project as individual large clips

2. Scrub through each clip, set in/outs and extract to subclip, store in subject matter bin

My questions:

1.  if I go back to the original footage and edit it, it doesn't seem to flow through to the subclips. How do I make the subclips inherit the attributes of their parent? (e.g. could be sound, colour, etc)

2. how do I access these highlights bins from another project?

3. is this the best way to handle my situation?

Thanks for your input.

Ric

• 1. Re: Best way to organise multiple large clips and hundreds of subclips
          Jim_Simon Level 8

1. I don't think you can.

2. You can't, as such.  What you could do is add the highlight clips to a sequence instead of making them subclips.  You can then import that sequence into another project.  You could also export out the highlights as new files for use in other projects.

3. I don't think so.  Instead of subclips, I'd just add the highlights to a sequence.

• 2. Re: Best way to organise multiple large clips and hundreds of subclips
            Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

As far as I can tell sub-clips act like an independent clip and do not inherit changes to the parent.  In/Out marks will inherit changes (but I don't think you want to go that route).  I think your sub-clip idea is the way to go.

Why would you want to put changes on the very long master clips instead of the individual sub-clips?  It would seem to me that color-correction or sound adjustment would not necessarily be consistent over the course of a very long master clip. And, anyway, you could always copy and paste attributes from one sub-clip to another (created frm the same Master clip).  Of course, nesting will cause changes to be inherited but I think that's a level of complexity you'd be better off avoiding.

I'm a huge fan of duplicating projects and then changing the duplicate.  What I would suggest is starting with a Master Project.  Make the subclips and bins for all the projects you think you'll need and then duplicate the Master Project, change it's name to reflect the mini-project and then delete anything you don't need.  Always keep a Master (and even an up-to-date Archive of the Master) so you can make new sub-clips and bins for more mini-projects.  And, of course, before you even start, figure out how and where you're going to store and organize your Source files.  If they go walk-about mid-project you'll be in deep doo-doo!

• 3. Re: Best way to organise multiple large clips and hundreds of subclips
              ricdanger24 Level 1

Thanks Jim and Allynn,

The long footage actually can cope with global adjustments, as it's all inside, focused on a person speaking on stage. I think I'll firstly go down the track of applying and rendering the colour and sound adjustments into a new source file, then use that.

Great idea regarding duplicating projects then changing the duplicate. I've tried this already today and it works a treat (although it does consume some HDD space!)

Re lost source, yes I have already experienced that! I made the rookie mistake of importing to PP directly from an AVHCD card, did my edits, rendered an interim version then wiped the card for some more filming. Probably only an error I'll make once, but luckily the lost footage wasn't all that special!

• 4. Re: Best way to organise multiple large clips and hundreds of subclips
                Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

I suppose applying the effects to the source clip and rendering out a new source file is one way of doing it.  Just be very careful that you don't compress the output.  And, of course, it will double the amount of hard drive space.  I'd still make all the sub-clips first and use the "paste attributes" command.  I think you can even lasso a whole bunch of clips and paste attributes to all of them at once (they have to be in the timeline, though - not the project panel).

It shouldn't take an awful lot of hard drive space to duplicate projects.  Just duplicate the "prproj" file, not the whole projects folder (and certainly not the source material).

Here's a screen shot of my set-up for a complicated, 5-camera shoot of a play:

archive.jpg

The original project (syncing all the cameras up) is 1 MB, each successive archive gets a little bigger but the current project is only 3.8 MB.  I would imagine if you are deleting bins and sequences for the mini-projects, the prproj file would actually get smaller than the original master.

Okay.. so here's the mantra about non-tape based video... First you back up the card (including the complete folder structure) onto an archive drive.  Next you copy this folder onto an external or RAID or other "real" archive drive.  Then (and only then) do you start editing the material!

Ideally, you need at least three, physically separate harddrives (not partitions) in an editing station (this is true Windows or Mac).  One drive for the operating system and applications only (no media or projects or anything!).  One for working projects (each project in its own folder) where everything except the source video is stored.  And finally one for the source video.  On my system my OS drive is Tardis ('cuz I'm a geek!).  I have a Projects drive for projects (duh!) a Scratch drive for working video files and an Archive for "finished" projects waiting delivery and back-back-ups of my SD cards.